Eller's Arbitration

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
I question things that need to be questioned...The Subban contract negotiations brings up a lot of questions and discussion

Like what? You've been a relentless advocate of the bridge deal, so I can only assume you mean the current situation? What questions do you have about it?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sure...but a 16 game sample vs an entire season sample, who do you think would come out on top if it went to a 3rd party???

I personally think both sides will come to an agreement in the middle, especially in Eller's case because I don't think he has much of a case in front of an arbitrator. He picked a bad year to have a bad year

Them the breaks

A lot of players got their money based on that

I think if given the chance Eller will definitely become a better player than Desharnais... he probably already is better actually. But to give a player putting up 26 points 3+ million makes no sense. I know he didn't get the offensive chances, but before the playoffs, he didn't really deserve too many either. I'm hoping the Habs and Eller can agree before this goes to arbitration, but if not, I hope they only sign a one year deal. I'd hate to see Eller become a UFA in 2 years and lose him for nothing. Regardless of the contract, Therrien HAS to give him more offensive responsibilities, both for the good of Lars and for the good of the team.

Look at the cap. It's not 2004 anymore, 3m is almost 4th liner money, look at the money Prust and Gorges got.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Why keep greedy Eller when easygoing first-line centre Desharnais is outproducing him like crazy? What the hell does he think he's worth, 2.424242 Daniel Brieres? HELL NO.

If he doesn't accept the generous 1.65m let him walk I say!

Give Bergevin and Bouillon and extension, pronto. They don't dick around.

It's a negotiation, no need to make drama about it. They will sign no problem.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It's a negotiation, no need to make drama about it. They will sign no problem.
Just having some fun ;)

But in all honesty, I don't trust Bergevin and he's proving himself to be quite a doorknob when it comes to treating actually important players. I shudder to think what he'll do to Gallagher and Galchenyuk next year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Like what? You've been a relentless advocate of the bridge deal, so I can only assume you mean the current situation? What questions do you have about it?

Well I've said many times...if they can't come to a long term agreement. Then the question of the bridge deal needs to be re-addressed

My position completely changes if they can't reach a long term deal.

I also question what Subban is looking for in terms of term...there's many questions

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just dont get it, 3m is freaking nothing on the cap. Give him 4x3m and well have a steal on our hands. Again, most 3rd liners are pair more than 3m

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just dont get it, 3m is freaking nothing on the cap. Give him 4x3m and well have a steal on our hands. Again, most 3rd liners are pair more than 3m

3M is a lot of change, should MB once again go out of his way to sign the next Danny Torch-bearer Brière. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The Subban thread has reached what? 4 or 5 threads by now??? There's tons of questions within those threads

knock yourself out

The Eller news that came out today is pretty standard stuff for a player/team that are headed towards arbitration.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I just find it weird that MB is quick to slightly overpay guys like Prust, Emelin, DD and yet twice lowballs Subban and now lowballs Eller. Hell, even Price at the time was a slight overpayment for what he had done so far in the league...now not so much, easy gamble though.

Eller's 3.1 is pretty high, but MB's 1.6 is a ridiculously low (I hope it is just numbers for the sake of arbitration and not what is actually being offered). Between that and the Subban bridge, I don't know.

I just don't get MB when it comes to contracts, he's all over the map.

I just know that since MB and MT have been here, the discourse created and attitude from MB and MT towards Subban and Eller has been odd.

In my opinion contract offers are always a good way to gauge how managments evaluate/see the importance of a player. The Subban bridge low ball and these two arbitration hearings matchup with the way Subban and Eller have been used and spoken about under MB and MT's reign. For example, after seasons end, MT or MB didn't once mention Eller in their post-playoff interviews. Subban's usage and MB's taking credit for Subban's Norris and Olympic appearance falls along similar lines.

Discourse created and attitude? How do you know if that's even the case? You can only make those kinds of assumptions if your sitting in the room with both parties. Otherwise, those are just speculations thrown up in the air and have no leg to stand on.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Discourse created and attitude? How do you know if that's even the case? You can't make those kinds of assumptions unless your in sitting in the room with both parties. Otherwise, those are just speculations thrown up in the air and have no leg to stand on.

-Making Subban a better person comments
-Not playing Subban big minutes, taking him completely off the PK
-Benching Eller after the first game of the season where everyone looked bad. Saying "there's no time to fool around."
-Making it extremely difficult for Eller to break the top 6 no matter how well he performs. No PP time in 2012-2013 despite being the best centre, no offensive opportunity in the POs despite again being the most offensive centre.
-MB taking credit for Subban's Norris and Olympics. Saying that he was a healthy scratch before he arrived as GM.
-Eller got 0 credit after the season in 2012-2013 in MB's post-season conference, 0 recognition once again this year.
-Freidman reporting that Eller was the first person MB looked into trading when he arrived as GM, but kept him on board because a lot of GMs were interested.
-Subban repeatedly getting singled out when other players have played worse.
-Giving Subban credit begrudgingly.
-Subban's low ball bridge. Holding him out
-This reported low ball towards Eller.

There's plenty to go around. These offers are symptomatic of a weird relationship between Eller, Subban and Management that appeared at the beginning of MB and MT's tenure. White and Briere got similar treatment from MT.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
-Making Subban a better person
-Benching Eller after the first game of the season where everyone looked bad. Saying "there's no time to fool around."
-Making it extremely difficult for Eller to break the top 6 no matter how well he performs. No PP time in 2012-2013 despite being the best centre, no offensive opportunity in the POs despite again being the most offensive centre.
-MB taking credit for Subban's Norris and Olympics. Saying that he was a healthy scratch before he arrived as GM.
-Eller got 0 credit after the season in 2012-2013 in MB's post-season conference, 0 recognition once again this year.
-Freidman reporting that Eller was the first person MB looked into trading when he arrived as GM, but kept him on board because a lot of GMs were interested.

There's plenty to go around.

Those two players could be our two most talented yet the scrubs get all the love.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
-Making Subban a better person comments
-Giving Subban credit begrudgingly.
-Subban's low ball bridge. Holding him out
-This reported low ball towards Eller.

There's plenty to go around. These offers are symptomatic of a weird relationship between Eller, Subban and Management that appeared at the beginning of MB and MT's tenure. White and Briere got similar treatment from MT, they are now gone.

A lot of the things you wrote seem like its more you and fans who have issues with them...not necessarily the player (I.E. Eller getting zero credit etc).

I mean how do you know Subban was/is miffed by Bergevin saying they 'need to make him a better person'

You're confusing your own feelings with those of a player...you have no idea whether or not that affected them.

Frankly, if PK Subban is holding some kind of grudge towards the Habs because 'they begrudgingly give him credit'...then he needs to grow the **** up.

Of course, I don't think none of that stuff bothers him at all...just seems like fans think they need to fight his battles for him

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
A lot of the things you wrote seem like its more you and fans who have issues with...not necessarily the player (I.E. Eller getting zero credit etc).

And you know this how?

Eller still saying he wants to be a top 6 and saying that it's hard to get an offensive game going with consistent linemmates is pretty suggestive.

Just in case you retort with the same, I said that the relationship between the two appears odd. Now Subban is on a second contract dispute and there still appears to be gulf between the way Eller percieves himself as a player and the way MB and MT do.

There were signs of this rocky relationship from the get go, I'm not surprised they've arrived at this point.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And you know this how?

Eller still saying he wants to be a top 6 and saying that it's hard to get an offensive game going with consistent linemmates is pretty suggestive.

Just in case you retort with the same, I said that the relationship between the two appears odd.

Find me a player who wouldn't want more icetime...come on man.

I bet if you asked 23 of the Habs players if they'd like more icetime, they'd ALL say yes.

Players, for the most part, aren't as thin-skinned as fans are.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
You're confusing your own feelings with those of a player...you have no idea whether or not that affected them.

No, I'm not. You are just trying to present my argument as a personal argument. It isn't at all.

We saw the same relationship between Ryder and the Gainey regime, people suggested the same, others like you brushed it off with the same counter arguments. The relationship between Ryder and the Habs ended rocky, He was let go for nothing and was a healthy scratch near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad