Eller's Arbitration

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
well considering the season Eller had...yeah, it is. Sucks for him, i'm a big fan and I certainly think he deserves more than that (and i'm sure Habs do to). But this isn't about playing favorites

You're a big fan who does nothing but criticize his skill set and harps endlessly about his (context-less) performance. Hate to see what you say about players you're NOT a "huge fan" of...

All that these 2 figures represent today is that IF negotiations gets so bad that they have to go to a 3rd party where both sides lose complete control, the Habs feel he's worth 1.65M, while Eller think he's worth 3.1M.

That's all these figures represent...IF negotiations get to the point where both sides have no more control, these are the figures they present.

But it's not going to get to that point...so there's really nothing to see here.

Just a lot of people with too much time on their hands who want to dissect every little bit of arbitrary news that comes out from the Habs at this point

Again, I don't have the faith in MB you do. I'm not sure how you're convinced that, should the Habs go to an official arbitration hearing, they'll offer 1.65 because that's what they think he's worth, but of course in negotiations with Eller, in which they have huge leverage, of course they'll offer more.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
- Eller finished top 30 for hits and blocked shots (for a center) 2 years in a row
- Eller also finished in the top 30 for faceoffs last years.
- Outproduced first center DD for a full season from the 3rd line (this is the 1st time it happened in more than a decade)
- ES points last 2 season incl. PO : DD = 64, Eller = 57, Plek = 56
- Good on penalty kills (no points for that, but that is worth something)
- Can make a case that he never had a legitimate shot at top 6/PP ice-time

I think this worth more than Prust....but Bergevin offer is lower than the one he gave to Weaver, about the same money as Bouillon.....and even less than Moen!!!!

First, you probably do not remember Robert Lang.

Second, all the players you named had UFA years in their deal. Eller has no UFA years, whether its on a 1 yr deal or a 2 year deal.

Eller at 3m for 3 years make sense. 1 year ? Not as clear cut as you want to believe.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Am wondering if trading Eller wouldn't be the best option here.

Let's say the Rangers decide to move Brassard.

Eller+ for Brassard? (both are RFA)

We would have a bigger hit on the cap, but the advantage that Brassard has been a steady 40+ point contributor and is better at wing than Eller while being a capable centerman.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Eller won't be compared to teammates. Eller will be compared to other players in the league. So sorry (not sorry) that the arbitration hearing won't be Eller's agent yapping about Desharnais the entire time. After all, he's a professional ;)

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

We would have a bigger hit on the cap, but the advantage that Brassard has been a steady 40+ point contributor and is better at wing than Eller while being a capable centerman.

It was rumored that Brassard was looking for 5.5M a year. That's way too much for him.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

Eller would be a perfect fit for the Oilers right now. Tough to figure out what would be coming back though.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Bergevin with the lowball offer again, this is insulting, Lars deserve a better salary even if he did have a bad season.

I'm wondering what is Subban's offer...

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
The only thing I take away from this news today is that both sides are close to a deal.

How anyone could criticise Bergevin for this offer, is quite puzzling to be honest. The guy REGRESSED based on his previous year, yet you all want Bergevin to go in with a higher arbitration offer because he's a popular player on this board.

What's going on around here???? I mean, I know it's the offseason and all..but jeez

Just wanted to tell you that I've been reading the last 3-4 pages and you really seem to be the voice of reason here. I'w with you : I really don't know what all the fuss is about and how can people criticize Bergevin for this.

Both Eller and the Habs know that arbitrators rarely rule completely in favor of a party or another (meaining, in that case, that he would rule for either 1,65M or 3.1M). They usually go somewhere in between so both parties sumbit "extreme positions" to give the arbitrator more playing field.

Of coure, it would make so much sense if Eller and the Habs agree to a 2.3-2.5M$/year deal. And it might just be what the arbitrator decides if they fail to agree beforehand.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I just find it weird that MB is quick to slightly overpay guys like Prust, Emelin, DD and yet twice lowballs Subban and now lowballs Eller. Hell, even Price at the time was a slight overpayment for what he had done so far in the league...now not so much, easy gamble though.

Eller's 3.1 is pretty high, but MB's 1.6 is a ridiculously low (I hope it is just numbers for the sake of arbitration and not what is actually being offered). Between that and the Subban bridge, I don't know.

I just don't get MB when it comes to contracts, he's all over the map.

I just know that since MB and MT have been here, the discourse created and attitude from MB and MT towards Subban and Eller has been odd.

In my opinion contract offers are always a good way to gauge how managments evaluate/see the importance of a player. The Subban bridge low ball and these two arbitration hearings matchup with the way Subban and Eller have been used and spoken about under MB and MT's reign. For example, after seasons end, MT or MB didn't once mention Eller in their post-playoff interviews. Subban's usage and MB's taking credit for Subban's Norris and Olympic appearance falls along similar lines.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

You're a big fan who does nothing but criticize his skill set and harps endlessly about his (context-less) performance. Hate to see what you say about players you're NOT a "huge fan" of...

Show me ONE post where I criticised his skill set??? Just ONE...the only negative thing I said about Lars Eller is he had a bad season, that's the truth. Sorry if you can't accept that.

Again, I don't have the faith in MB you do.

Clearly...since you question EVERYTHING he does.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Eller is in a similar position to Subban two yrs. ago, the Habs have no intention of trading Lars, IMHO. Teams would be all over getting Eller no doubt, Bergevin wants a cap friendly contract, another bridge deal. Well Eller may not seem to some as valuable as Subban is on defence, two different positions with less icetime, rare PP time. Watching Eller's play in the playoffs, showed just how much his game has improved, he's due a raise the amount is the only question.

With the salary cap restraints, a GM that's trying to build a championship team has to keep in mind RFA's like O'Reilly can surely screw a team's long term plans. Core group players that are team oriented understand the GM's position, Eller will sign a bridge deal and be outstanding over the next two yrs. IMHO. That was his goal leaving this summer to be in the best shape of his career next season and play in the top six, which I believe he's more than capable of realistically.

What remains to be seen is which player can step up and take the hard minutes he was putting in the last couple of years. Here is where Bergevin's dilemma lies, as DD can't take the defensive role, leaving Plekanec and Malhotra. The alternative is each of the top nine players playing similar minutes, which doesn't work unless PAP and Sekac really bring the possession game to another level. The scoring during the playoffs showed each line is capable against top competition, so maybe this is Bergy's plan. In any case Eller is certainly worth $2.25 this year and $2.75 next, IMHO, so a two year contract for $5.mil is likely, $1.65 is a slap in the face for a player like Lars, IMHO.:nod:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
- Eller finished top 30 for hits and blocked shots (for a center) 2 years in a row
- Eller also finished in the top 30 for faceoffs last years.
- Outproduced first center DD for a full season from the 3rd line (this is the 1st time it happened in more than a decade)
- ES points last 2 season incl. PO : DD = 64, Eller = 57, Plek = 56
- Good on penalty kills (no points for that, but that is worth something)
- Can make a case that he never had a legitimate shot at top 6/PP ice-time

I think this worth more than Prust....but Bergevin offer is lower than the one he gave to Weaver, about the same money as Bouillon.....and even less than Moen!!!!

You described a 3rd line Center. Leading in hits and blocked shot means you don't have the puck and probably is on an energy line or SH.

how did he outproduced DD? I don't understand that. Last season yes, Eller had a great season and DD a really bad one.

Eller is doing great and need to prove that he is a legitimate 2nd liner. He proved to be a good 3rd C.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You described a 3rd line Center. Leading in hits and blocked shot means you don't have the puck and probably is on an energy line or SH.

how did he outproduced DD? I don't understand that. Last season yes, Eller had a great season and DD a really bad one.

Eller is doing great and need to prove that he is a legitimate 2nd liner. He proved to be a good 3rd C.

You missed a point...the fact that at 5on5 Eller outproduced Plekanec in the last 2 seasons and only 7 points away from Desharnais.

So he produced at the same rate at 5 on 5 as our top 6 players.
He's better for hits, faceoff and blockedshots......

What does he need to do in order to have chance to prove if he's a 2nd liner or not?
He won't outproduced players havind 200 minutes of PP time while having just 50 minutes...that's impossible....even if he did it in 12-13

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And you question NOTHING.

I question things that need to be questioned...The Subban contract negotiations brings up a lot of questions and discussion

This Lars Eller arbitration situation...does not. Not today.

There was nothing earth shattering about the numbers that came out today...NOTHING at all.

There was no 'low-ball'...there was no 'outreageous demands' from Eller. Just standard negotiation.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
Why would Lars Eller agree to that if he thinks he's better than a third line center?

Because he knows every time he was put in the #2C spot he choked reliably. The guys has only done good as a #3C. Plus he had a terrible yaer last year, 4 points less than the previous year with 30 more games played and a -15. 1.65 is low, but 3.1 is real high for him. Somewhere in between for a couple of years looks good to me.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Why keep greedy Eller when easygoing first-line centre Desharnais is outproducing him like crazy? What the hell does he think he's worth, 2.424242 Daniel Brieres? HELL NO.

If he doesn't accept the generous 1.65m let him walk I say!

Give Bergevin and Bouillon and extension, pronto. They don't dick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad