Eller's Arbitration

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Both parties look bad here...Makes no sense to want 3M$...yet, it makes even less sense to only offer 1,65M$.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I say give him 2.3/year for 2 years.

He needs another "Show me how much you are worth" contract.

Once that contract is up we will know if we want to trade him to give space to Galchenyuk or pay him good money.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Both parties look bad here...Makes no sense to want 3M$...yet, it makes even less sense to only offer 1,65M$.

I don't think we should read too deeply into either of these unless MB offered something ridiculous like $1 million or less and Eller asked for $4 million or more.

Clear to me they will settle around the 2.5 mark - Eller going to 3.1 and MB going to 1.65 is nothing more than an indication of how arbitration works, that it'll wind up somewhere in the middle. Business as usual.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

C'mon, this is what arbitrations are all about. Has been this way for years. No point reading much into the numbers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I say give him 2.3/year for 2 years.

He needs another "Show me how much you are worth" contract.

Wouldn't we be too close to the precipice with a 2 year deal? We've passed the point of a show-me contract in my view.

Eller will be a UFA in two years, we need a long-term commitment now or we risk losing him for nothing.

Do we really want to negotiate with Eller over the next two years?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not sure you understand the arbitration process. They submitted 1.6m to the arbitrator, they then make the case that Eller deserves 1.6m and will use whatever stats and comparables they have to make the case that Eller only deserves 1.6m.

Eller will do the same thing making the case he deserves 3.1m.

The arbitrator then makes a decision. And the habs choose to accept it or not, there's no moving off the number they gave, there's no negotiation where you start low and meet in the middle. All that remains is both sides making the case for their number. If they went in super low hoping the arbitrator simply picks a number in the middle that's incredibly dumb and will be seen through by the arbitrator.

All that being said it's possible Bergevin has offered Eller more than the 1.6 and any such offers can't be used in the arbitration but there's very little reason to come in with a number that you can't justify.

From my understanding, and I may be wrong, but until the arbitrator renders his decision or at least until the arbitration process actually begins (which if i'm not mistaken, isn't until July 25th) both sides can continue to negotiate their contract

Just like Chris Kreider's deal

But I might be wrong, apologies if I am

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
From my understanding, and I may be wrong, but until the arbitrator renders his decision or at least until the arbitration process actually begins (which if i'm not mistaken, isn't until July 25th) both sides can continue to negotiate their contract

You are correct and Sorinth is wrong.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Remember how dominant the kid line was early last yaer before bonehead broke them up for no reason?

He was dominant with the line from October 1 to October 19: 5 goals, 3 assists in eight games.

From October 22 to November 19 (the game Gallagher was taken off the line), Eller had 11 games of zero points. Of course, he had a three point game against the Islanders in that span so looks excusable.

Most people remember the Brian Savage hot start, the game against Columbus where he dominated and the Islanders game where the KID line was on fire. Nobody remembers the Avalanche game where he posted a -3, the Sens game where he sat -2 or all the games he went scoreless.

How was Galchenyuk and Gallagher without the Blue Jackets and Islanders game in the same 10/22 to 11/19 span?

Galchenyuk: 5 points
Gallagher: 6 points
Eller: 1 point

I don't even know why I try explaining this stuff. Everyone just thinks those first 8 games of the season were replicated until the line was mysteriously broken up.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
I don't understand what the issue is here??? We're the Habs supposed to come in at a number that they can't move off from right away??

Obviously, they're going to have to pay more than 1.6M...they know this

Just like Eller knows he's not getting 3.1M either...

They offered a number that basically guaranteed arbitration. If they "started" at 1.6 and they're still there, not much negotiating going.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
C'mon, this is what arbitrations are all about. Has been this way for years. No point reading much into the numbers.

Don't go to arbitration. And find a freakin middle ground to agree to. Based on what Roussel got, find a way to agree on something close to 2.5 of cap hit.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Don't go to arbitration. And find a freakin middle ground to agree to. Based on what Roussel got, find a way to agree on something close to 2.5 of cap hit.

I absolutely agree. Arbitration is ugly and I'd like it to be avoided. But they still had to submit their numbers to the arbitrator in case it gets there. Doesn't mean they aren't trying to get something done before Friday.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Yes they can negotiate and sign a deal but the 1.6m that was given to arbitrator has no bearing on that. They could have for instance been offering Eller a 2m deal but still submitted 1.6m to the arbitrator.

The 1.6m is not really part of the negotiations, it's the number they feel they can make a case for before the arbitrator.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Eller is worth exactly around the 3.1 number.

Here are comparable

Artem Anisimov at 3.2
David Desharnais at 3.5
Josh Bailey at 3.3
Rich Peverley at 3.2
Jarret Stoll at 3.2
Sam Gagner at 3.2
Martin Hanzal at 3.1
Danius Zubrus at 3.1

Its fair market money for a young 2nd line center. If DD can get 3.5, Im pretty sure Eller can ask for 3.1. Also, most of these deals are not UFA deals.

For the record, Eller produced more points that all those forwards last year, except Gagner.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Eller is worth exactly around the 3.1 number.

Here are comparable

Artem Anisimov at 3.2
David Desharnais at 3.5
Josh Bailey at 3.3
Rich Peverley at 3.2
Jarret Stoll at 3.2
Sam Gagner at 3.2
Martin Hanzal at 3.1
Danius Zubrus at 3.1

Its fair market money for a young 2nd line center. If DD can get 3.5, Im pretty sure Eller can ask for 3.1. Also, most of these deals are not UFA deals.

For the record, Eller produced more points that all those forwards last year, except Gagner.

Didn't Desharnais put up 60 points in the NHL before signing for 3.5M? Eller just put up 26.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Stop embarrassing yourself already. I still remember how you stated that Kreider is a "depth player".

Oh, my bad, I forgot hes a top flight player. Will he make the Hall of fame ?

Didn't Desharnais put up 60 points in the NHL before signing for 3.5M? Eller just put up 26.

Im not even debating he had a bad statistical year. Eller, unlike DD didnt get to play with Patches on all powerplay.

Also, didnt Eller produce at the same rate since 2011 for ES points ? Yeah, I think so. Look at the big picture, but obviously I can see where you come from, thats how Bergevin will handle this.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oh, my bad, I forgot hes a top flight player. Will he make the Hall of fame ?

That I don't know, but I'm sure your OP will make the Hall of Fame for dumb posts on the HF first ballot. ;)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They offered a number that basically guaranteed arbitration. If they "started" at 1.6 and they're still there, not much negotiating going.

First of all...there's still more than enough time to get a deal done before the hearing and before the arbitrator renders his decision.

Second of all...Eller's camp also basically guaranteed arbitration by requesting 3.1M.

All of this means is that they're going to settle in the middle...something between
2-2.5M

Because of the season Eller had, he's not really in the driver's seat...while you would love to see the Habs just 'be nice' and come in with a better offer than they did, they didn't have too.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes they can negotiate and sign a deal but the 1.6m that was given to arbitrator has no bearing on that. They could have for instance been offering Eller a 2m deal but still submitted 1.6m to the arbitrator.

The 1.6m is not really part of the negotiations, it's the number they feel they can make a case for before the arbitrator.

Yeah exactly...so what's the issue here???

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That I don't know, but I'm sure your OP will make the Hall of Fame for dumb posts on the HF first ballot. ;)

Well, at least Ill win something.

First of all...there's still more than enough time to get a deal done before the hearing and before the arbitrator renders his decision.

Second of all...Eller's camp also basically guaranteed arbitration by requesting 3.1M.

All of this means is that they're going to settle in the middle...something between
2-2.5M

Because of the season Eller had, he's not really in the driver's seat...while you would love to see the Habs just 'be nice' and come in with a better offer than they did, they didn't have too.
But then he could point out to the playoff, where he was once again our top forward.

Halifaxhab*

well, the 1.65 is still a raise. and it's an arbitration offer. Different from what they would actually pay him.....just part of the system.

Halifaxhab*

Yeah exactly...so what's the issue here???

how dare management consistently lowball players on every contract, just to go and spend that money on others players making the team better!:laugh:

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
1,65 is pretty ridiculous. It would be pretty stupid from them to think Lars is really worth only that. I guess that's just for arbitration to they settle for less than if they had offer say 2,25M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad