Value of: Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
The likelihood that EP would choose Ottawa as the destination he would want to re-sign with longterm is so slim it’s really not even worth discussing. But you do you.
Lmao ok big guy
Your offer sucked anyway. Norris at $8M longterm isn’t an attractive main asset for EP at all.
Haha so now its worth discussing, eh? Maybe you could have just said that and avoided your goofy line of questioning. Bye now :)

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Well EP is better than all three of those players, so there’s that. They aren’t selling him for a pile of junk. He’s 24 with 2 years of team control left. He’s a top 6 Centre in the game.

Then I guess he isn’t going to Ottawa. He’s substantially better than any of those three guys.

Then he isn't getting traded to anyone and will walk for free, no team gives up a player like that for a guy who asks for a trade.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
If we trade EP it means he wants out, if he wants out, there is absolutely ZERO chance we get a player like Stutzle or Brady for him. Lose that idealistic fantasy right now.

Sanderson, is another story.
This is the Miller threads all over again. Just a cycle of "overpay or else!". If Vancouver approaches this like the fans, he is walking.

Reactions: squashmaple

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Then he isn't getting traded to anyone and will walk for free, no team gives up a player like that for a guy who asks for a trade.
He won’t walk for free. You really think that’s got a hope in hell of happening? Or is that what you’d like to happen?

If Ottawa won’t give up good value, there are many other teams that would like to add a top 6 (and i mean top six in the game quite easily) Centre they can go piss up a rope. Norris has a bum wing, he isn’t fit to carry EP’s gear in multiple ways. Target Jiricek, Nemec+ Mercer, Cozens + etc. There are a lot of teams that would buck up for a guy trending to be as good or better than Pavel Datsyuk.

This is the Miller threads all over again. Just a cycle of "overpay or else!". If Vancouver approaches this like the fans, he is walking.
What overpay is this? There isn’t a player on the Leafs I would trade him for.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I don't know if I've ever agreed with a post more than this one.

I see Jiricek as a cornerstone piece for CBJ for years to come, I don't think there are many players they'd move him for in the league and the one's they'd trade him for aren't going anywhere.

Severson is a good stop-gap top pairing D until Jiricek takes that spot from him and everyone moves down to the where they belong.

I'm sure they'd consider almost every other prospect in the organization for EP but not Jiricek
If they'd move Fantilli I'd be down too.
Fantilli (won't budge on him, need blue-chip value coming back), 2 of Johnson/ Sillinger/ Texier, 1 of Peeke/ Ceulemans, CBJ 1st and 2nd

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Why do fans act like this when you get called out on a crappy proposal. “He won’t even get that much!”

It’s not a Dubois situation where he’s asked our two times and has glaringly on ice issues. We’re talking about a 100 point RFA center.
because you just crap on proposals without stating what you'd want in a trade?

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If they'd move Fantilli I'd be down too.
Fantilli (won't budge on him, need blue-chip value coming back), 2 of Johnson/ Sillinger/ Texier, 1 of Peeke/ Ceulemans, CBJ 1st and 2nd
I won't even pretend to know enough about CBJ's prospect pool beyond Fantilli and Jiricek, so I'll defer to them on this.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I won't even pretend to know enough about CBJ's prospect pool beyond Fantilli and Jiricek, so I'll defer to them on this.
an overpay, adding the draft picks makes it an extreme overpay and I'm trying to be kind. I fear what the Jacket fans reaction would be to it.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
an overpay, adding the draft picks makes it an extreme overpay and I'm trying to be kind. I fear what the Jacket fans reaction would be to it.
I assumed it was a pretty massive ask, I'd be hesitant to add either Fantilli or Jiricek if I was a CBJ fan, let alone adding to either.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

I assumed it was a pretty massive ask, I'd be hesitant to add either Fantilli or Jiricek if I was a CBJ fan, let alone adding to either.
It would be very ugly.

The top prospect talent in the league is extremely concentrated among a few teams right now. Like Buffalo, Anaheim, Detroit, and New Jersey, Columbus’s fourth or fifth best prospect would be the best prospect for at least ten or twelve teams, Vancouver very firmly included in that list. Just because Columbus has multiple league-wide top-10 prospects doesn’t mean other teams get to ask for them in trades when even a package built around say numbers three, four, and eight could very well still be the best offer. Even good teams with weak pools rarely trade their top prospects.

Fantilli and Jiricek are not on the block. Period. The end. And Columbus has no business trading for Pettersson, considering as a Brisson client there is a negative infinity chance he’d re-sign so it would be an egregious waste of assets and a fireable offense for Jarmo. Vancouver fans are understandably and justifiably in their feelings over their rudderless team’s mismanagement of the past few years and no prospect pool to speak of so they’re salivating at other teams’ prospects. That’s all this is. We saw the same thing last summer with the nonstop Miller to Columbus (he’s from Ohio!! sure, four hours away but it’s still Ohio!!) for insane packages. And Miller wasn’t traded, as neither will Pettersson be, and the Canucks will continue to be in the mushy middle with no high picks or top prospects.

Columbus can be left out of this line of discussion.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The problem is the contracts immediately get more expensive when the cap goes up. They were never really in on Meier. KA calls on everyone, it's his job. Sabres recent prospects in the nhl: Peterka, Quinn, Power. 3 players that qualified for the calder. The whole argument of Sabres waiting too long on their prospects instead of making moves is incredibly false. Seasons the Sabres weren't terrible: 1. They don' t know if Quinn or Peterka can be a top 6 winger, and their next 4 are Olofsson Greenway GIrgensons and Okposo. They have NOTHING figured out long term at winger besides Tuch and Skinner. You really want a center with how bad our winger depth is? and you want to get rid of 2/3 of our best prospects to fill those holes to acquire him? It is a bad idea, a bad trade, and a bad fit. To suggest anything else is just saying "I want to watch him on my team" or "I play too much EA Sports". ....
Sabes improved and turned it on at the end; they have arrived and are real. Flawed, but real. Kudos for above honest analysis.

Now that said, I am inclined NOT to do this b'c cap reality etc,
and
dealing LaF elsewhere may be better strategic fit, but:
given the above^
possible 3 way?

IF NYR can negotiate + extend EP long term first w/no NMC [vigorous NTC may be ok] and
there are other pieces acceptable to NYR who have several players w/trade restrictions
and Rs can't add 10+ m salary w/o something balancing it out.

But given those prerequisites,
EP to NYR
LaF + Othmann to BUF
acceptable currency from BUF __________ to VAN

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Pettersson finished with a solid amount of Selke votes.

Is proposed to being a top 3-5 scoring centre in the league this year.

Is being pegged as being a finalist in Selke voting.

To be a top scoring player in the league means 110+ points

The last selke winners to come near the 100 point mark was Kopitar in 17/18 with 92 points, Datsyuk in 08/09

Almost no other selke nominees, let alone winners have eclipsed the 90 point mark and the only one to win since the early 90s that broke the 100 point mark was Fedorov.

The suggestions of him going for a pick and a couple of decent prospects are a bit out there. The suggestions of him going for an unreal fortune of wealth are equally as out there.

Should have actually be traded the return will be truly astonishing for both camps and I think will leave most kind of shocked.

No, this does not mean I think Fantili/Bedard would be available. But yes I do believe that a, or a couple of top tier prospects plus a or a series of high/unprotected picks would be available

The idea of a 100+ point 40+ goal scoring selke calibre centre under the age of 25 should make every single team in the league want to line up with a quality offer. especially when he is doing it on a team like vancouver

Anyone who thinks otherwise with aging vets, unproven b tier prospects, unwanted contracts or 50 point perimeter players will get that done is kidding themselves

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

That's fair. With how deep New Jersey's prospect AND player pools are, imagine if Jack Hughes wasn't on your team and you were to trade for him with what your roster and prospect pool has. What offer would you make? Because that's likely what would be required, and whether you'd choose to go through with it or not is really up to you.

Then think about the price you'd ask from Jersey if you were selling Hughes to them and you'll have your idea. Bottom line though, Petey (rightfully) won't be cheap, even with how good the blue-chip prospects are it's unlikely to be 1-for-1 IMO.

Reactions: HairyKneel

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

The last selke winners to come near the 100 point mark was Kopitar in 17/18 with 92 points, Datsyuk in 08/09

Almost no other selke nominees, let alone winners have eclipsed the 90 point mark and the only one to win since the early 90s that broke the 100 point mark was Fedorov.

The suggestions of him going for a pick and a couple of decent prospects are a bit out there. The suggestions of him going for an unreal fortune of wealth are equally as out there.

Should have actually be traded the return will be truly astonishing for both camps and I think will leave most kind of shocked.

No, this does not mean I think Fantili/Bedard would be available. But yes I do believe that a, or a couple of top tier prospects plus a or a series of high/unprotected picks would be available

The idea of a 100+ point 40+ goal scoring selke calibre centre under the age of 25 should make every single team in the league want to line up with a quality offer. especially when he is doing it on a team like vancouver

Anyone who thinks otherwise with aging vets, unproven b tier prospects, unwanted contracts or 50 point perimeter players will get that done is kidding themselves
Obviously circumstances and salary cap come into play but when I see fans say yeah we can part with our third best prospect for Petey but not our first or our second is just hilarious to me.

And I think Vancouver front management is awful and will probably get fleeced but there's limits to low balling when you're talking about a 100p guy in his prime who plays C

Reactions: bh53 and HairyKneel

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Obviously circumstances and salary cap come into play but when I see fans say yeah we can part with our third best prospect for Petey but not our first or our second is just hilarious to me
I get the covetous nature people have for their shiny toys. I really do. I'm a hockey fan first, team fan second.

I have a team that hasn't had a quality prospect pool since 2003, their best two prospects since are Hughes and Pettersson and they won the lottery with those picks.

But if there was a shot at a 100+ point, 40 + goal scoring centre that is under 25 that finishes that high in Selke voting and was doing it on a team that has been as bad as vancouver I would line up an offer that would bankrupt whatever prospect pool that organization had.

hell, let's ballpark it.

Vancouver offering a trade for Pettersson?

Willander, Lekkerimaki, Woo 2024 unprotected 1st 2025 2nd round pick.

And I still think that another team might catch wind of that and offer a better package

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
This board is hilarious , a bunch of fans of teams who don't have their top prospect on the table for a 100 point center is wild to me.
As a Columbus fan no im not offering Johnson+Jiricek++. Would you happily offer Reinbacher+Dach+Xhekaj+1st? Thats kind of similar to the Columbus deal people suggest but balk at the idea of

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I get the covetous nature people have for their shiny toys. I really do. I'm a hockey fan first, team fan second.

I have a team that hasn't had a quality prospect pool since 2003, their best two prospects since are Hughes and Pettersson and they won the lottery with those picks.

But if there was a shot at a 100+ point, 40 + goal scoring centre that is under 25 that finishes that high in Selke voting and was doing it on a team that has been as bad as vancouver I would line up an offer that would bankrupt whatever prospect pool that organization had.

hell, let's ballpark it.

Vancouver offering a trade for Pettersson?

Willander, Lekkerimaki, Woo 2024 unprotected 1st 2025 2nd round pick.

And I still think that another team might catch wind of that and offer a better package
When those first and second best prospects are top six in the sport and happen to play the two hardest positions in the game to fill, and will be stepping into a cap-constrained league on ELC’s at the same time? Yeah, they’re off the table. Pettersson should absolutely bring in a haul for Vancouver, but since he would never in a million years extend in Columbus, it would be a foolish and destructive move for Columbus to trade Fantilli and/or Jiricek for him. The move isn’t just for 2023-24 or 2024-25, it’s for 2026 and 2027 and 2028, and trading off those young players for a ghost is criminal roster mismanagement. I’m not saying he isn’t worth Team X’s top prospects and picks. Of course he is. I’m saying Columbus cannot be the target, and only keeps getting brought up by fans because they have the shiniest prospects.

Reactions: wetcoast

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
When those first and second best prospects are top six in the sport and happen to play the two hardest positions in the game to fill, and will be stepping into a cap-constrained league on ELC’s at the same time? Yeah, they’re off the table. Pettersson should absolutely bring in a haul for Vancouver, but since he would never in a million years extend in Columbus, it would be a foolish and destructive move for Columbus to trade Fantilli and/or Jiricek for him. The move isn’t just for 2023-24 or 2024-25, it’s for 2026 and 2027 and 2028, and trading off those young players for a ghost is criminal roster mismanagement. I’m not saying he isn’t worth Team X’s top prospects and picks. Of course he is. I’m saying Columbus cannot be the target, and only keeps getting brought up by fans because they have the shiniest prospects.
I...didn't bring up Columbus.

Don't need to feel defensive at all as I stated Fantili/Bedard type requests are non starters for any interested team.

As for him not extending in Columbus. Why not? What suggests he wouldn't? If Columbus has a smaller media profile and spotlight but a far better supporting cast and depth of prospects; why would he not sign there? Personally I'd suggest he has a better cast and opportunity in Columbus than he does in Vancouver

But if we are speaking hypothetically ONLY, Jiricek would almost HAVE to be on the table.

The equivalent would be Fantili in 5 years time being a 100+ point selke calibre centre and you damn well know that if that's the case and the suggestion has Fantili potentially moving, you are asking for another teams Jiricek as a starting point and you can not even pretend otherwise ;)

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022

I think everyone knows how good Pettersson is. There's probably not many people out there who don't have him pegged as a top 10 player during his prime years.

It's just the cap era. Being able to get 3 years of ELC into oftentimes a cheap bridge contract is 6 years of cost control.

That is incredibly valuable to have. I don't blame teams for being unwilling to trade their elite prospects.

Like, I doubt Arizona would do Cooley straight up for Pettersson, for no other reason than finances.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I think everyone knows how good Pettersson is. There's probably not many people out there who don't have him pegged as a top 10 player during his prime years.

It's just the cap era. Being able to get 3 years of ELC into oftentimes a cheap bridge contract is 6 years of cost control.

That is incredibly valuable to have. I don't blame teams for being unwilling to trade their elite prospects.

Like, I doubt Arizona would do Cooley straight up for Pettersson, for no other reason than finances.
He's a suggested $9.75 million to $10.5 million player and probably for 5-8 years during years in which the cap is going to do nothing but go up while being under the age of 25.

While you are right some teams can not fit him under the cap; this is a player that is upper tier star level and is suggested to be had for less than some of the higher paid players in the league while being younger than most of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad