Value of: Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Canucks fans, can you point to a past trade that would establish EPs value?
When was the last time a 100 point, career PPG, two way centerman under the age of 25 was traded?

Pettersson being traded would be pretty unprecedented. Tkachuk fetched a 115 point forward whos been a top 15 player since 2019 and a top pairing defenseman. If I had to guess, it would be equivalent to that return. Except Vancouver would be looking for futures rather than a swap of 100 point players because a Pettersson trade would mean another losing season and will signal at the very least a mini rebuild.

An equivalent to the Tkachuk trade would be a top prospect (untouchables would be Bedard, Cooley, Fantilli, Carlsson, L.Hughes, Michkov, and Nemec), a 1st round pick, and a young core piece.

any prospect not named above would be part of a Pettersson’s deal

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
OH!!! really he would hate having Pasta on his wing...........
The window in Boston is closed, now the question is can they get lucky and retool and have draft like Dallas did in 2017?

but then again if any team had a top 3 draft like Dallas did in 2017 it would be franchise defining.

I seriously doubt EP40 gets moved but if he does there would be a haul going back and rightly so.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Eichel was 10th in scoring the season before he got traded. EP was 10th in scoring this year.
He put up 2 goals in 21 games the season before he was traded. The season before that he did put up good enough numbers to rank 12th despite missing 14 games but lets not pretend the 20/21 season and the major surgery he had the following season didn’t effect his value.

Eichel was injured, but he was actually signed to a long-term deal already. Teams didn't have to worry if Eichel was willing to sign a contract with them.
I highly doubt that if EP is traded next offseason that it won’t come with a longterm extension in place.

Last edited:

DyerMakar

Nov 13, 2022
He put up 2 goals in 21 games the season before he was traded. The season before that he did put up good enough numbers to rank 12th despite missing 14 games but lets not pretend the 20/21 season and the major surgery he had the following season didn’t effect his value.
"lets not pretend the 20/21 season and the major surgery he had the following season didn’t effect his value."

You could read what I wrote in the previous comment. EP isn't going to be traded this summer. He has this season to establish his value.

Eichel had 18 points in 21 games his injury season. Framing that as "2 goals in 21 games" seems odd. Why not 16 assists in 21 games? It's not like Eichel has ever been a goal scorer either. More of a playmaker.

DyerMakar

Nov 13, 2022
I highly doubt that if EP is traded next offseason that it won’t come with a longterm extension in place.
Yes, but he'd have to want to sign long term with that team. A team won't trade for him if he doesn't want to sign there. That wasn't an issue with Eichel. They could've traded him anywhere. Already signed for 5 more years and the NMC didn't kick in.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I’d do that right now.
I don't think that person is a Habs fan and Habs wouldn't do that just because they'd want to add to Suzuki and Caufield, not replace them with Pettersson.

Habs offer would be something more like.

Kirby Dach
Habs 2024 1st around 10th (if it's 1st overall, I'd honestly deal for EP, but the rest would need to be edited)
2025 conditional 1st ( the 1st the Habs got from the flames and its only conditional, as the nucks now take on the same conditions the Habs have. Part of that condition is the ability to take Calgary's 1st this, but only if it's late, like 20th, or late. )
Adam Engstrom - not saying he's as good, but he put up similar point totals to Edvinsson and then had a really nice playoffs for a dman, solid prospect, but LD and furthest away from the NHL for the Habs, so most expendable)
Sean Farrell - small, but promising forward. Possibly the Habs best forward prospects with Roy, but Roy being drafted by the Habs and French makes it almost a non-factor for pretty much everyone. Not that there's a huge difference between himself and Farrell.
Joel Armia - 1 season left at not much. Should be able to return another pick.
2026 2nd(a little bit for EP, a little bit for taking on Armia

That's based on the offseason a year from now.

However, for fan proposals there's no point to even look at this if Johnson, Jiricek and whatever else that Cbus fan was offering is on the table. Take that and RUN.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
"lets not pretend the 20/21 season and the major surgery he had the following season didn’t effect his value."

You could read what I wrote in the previous comment. EP isn't going to be traded this summer. He has this season to establish his value.

Eichel had 18 points in 21 games his injury season. Framing that as "2 goals in 21 games" seems odd. Why not 16 assists in 21 games? It's not like Eichel has ever been a goal scorer either. More of a playmaker.
Either way, your comment that he was top 10 in scoring the year before being traded was false.

I don't think that person is a Habs fan and Habs wouldn't do that just because they'd want to add to Suzuki and Caufield, not replace them with Pettersson.

Habs offer would be something more like.

Kirby Dach
Habs 2024 1st around 10th (if it's 1st overall, I'd honestly deal for EP, but the rest would need to be edited)
2025 conditional 1st ( the 1st the Habs got from the flames and its only conditional, as the nucks now take on the same conditions the Habs have. Part of that condition is the ability to take Calgary's 1st this, but only if it's late, like 20th, or late. )
Adam Engstrom - not saying he's as good, but he put up similar point totals to Edvinsson and then had a really nice playoffs for a dman, solid prospect, but LD and furthest away from the NHL for the Habs, so most expendable)
Sean Farrell - small, but promising forward. Possibly the Habs best forward prospects with Roy, but Roy being drafted by the Habs and French makes it almost a non-factor for pretty much everyone. Not that there's a huge difference between himself and Farrell.
Joel Armia - 1 season left at not much. Should be able to return another pick.
2026 2nd(a little bit for EP, a little bit for taking on Armia

That's based on the offseason a year from now.

However, for fan proposals there's no point to even look at this if Johnson, Jiricek and whatever else that Cbus fan was offering is on the table. Take that and RUN.
This I would not do.

DyerMakar

Nov 13, 2022
Either way, your comment that he was top 10 in scoring the year before being traded was false.
He was literally 10th in scoring 2019-2020. Technically the season before the one he got hurt. That's where EP is right now. If EP is wanting a trade it will be next summer. The most important season for his trade value hasn't happened yet.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
He didn't play that season.

He went

2019-2020: 10th
2020-2021: Injured
2021-2022: Traded

EP right now is

2022-2023: 10th
2023-2024: ???
He put up 18 points in 21GP in 20/21, wtf are you talking about? If EP has an injury riddled season next year and requires unproven surgery to fix his neck, I'll concede that it's the same situation as Eichel. You're comparing Eichel's value at his lowest to EP's value at his highest. It's not the same. This would make sense if you were comparing Eichel to EP after his 20/21 season where he put up 21P in 26GP.

Reactions: bh53

DyerMakar

Nov 13, 2022
He put up 18 points in 21GP in 20/21, wtf are you talking about? If EP has an injury riddled season next year and requires unproven surgery to fix his neck, I'll concede that it's the same situation as Eichel. You're comparing Eichel's value at his lowest to EP's value at his highest. It's not the same. This would make sense if you were comparing Eichel to EP after his 20/21 season where he put up 21P in 26GP.
Nobody said it's the same situation. I said it's the best comparable. No situation is going to be the same. What a weird point to make.

"You're comparing Eichel's value at his lowest to EP's value at his highest. It's not the same. This would make sense if you were comparing Eichel to EP after his 20/21 season where he put up 21P in 26GP."

Because EP isn't being traded this summer? How do you not get that? The most important season for EP's value hasn't even happened yet. Eichel & EP were in the same spot before Eichel got injured. Both were 10th in scoring. Not that hard to understand.

There are a lot of similarities and you're acting like there is none.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

This I would not do.
Well, yeah because it's not a massive overpayment for a player.

A player of Pettersson's calibre assuming he hits, or gets close to 100 points again is not getting his value in return.

That's the problem when a top end player wants out.

The only way to get great value I'd a similar player wanting out and the nucks and that team do a swap.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nobody said it's the same situation. I said it's the best comparable. No situation is going to be the same. What a weird point to make.

"You're comparing Eichel's value at his lowest to EP's value at his highest. It's not the same. This would make sense if you were comparing Eichel to EP after his 20/21 season where he put up 21P in 26GP."

Because EP isn't being traded this summer? How do you not get that? The most important season for EP's value hasn't even happened yet. Eichel & EP were in the same spot before Eichel got injured. Both were 10th in scoring. Not that hard to understand.
And my point is that Eichel was coming off a major surgery and disappointing season prior to being traded, not a “top 10 scoring” season that you’ve been incorrectly proclaiming that clearly affected his value. If EP suffers a major injury next season and has a disappointing season, maybe then you’ll have a point. Not that hard to understand.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
And my point is that Eichel was coming off a major surgery and disappointing season prior to being traded, not a “top 10 scoring” season that you’ve been incorrectly proclaiming that clearly affected his value. If EP suffers a major injury next season and has a disappointing season, maybe then you’ll have a point. Not that hard to understand.
Eichel also had 4 years of team control left.

Reactions: TS Quint

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the canucks aren't going to get a pure "futures" return simply because pettersson is going to get 10m+ on whatever contract he gets and he'll be going to a contender so the canucks will need to take back roughly the same in salary. unless they take back someone with a terrible contract (like skinner) in the deal they're looking at getting a couple players in the 5-8m range and maybe a prospect and/or pick

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
When was the last time a 100 point, career PPG, two way centerman under the age of 25 was traded?

Pettersson being traded would be pretty unprecedented. Tkachuk fetched a 115 point forward whos been a top 15 player since 2019 and a top pairing defenseman. If I had to guess, it would be equivalent to that return. Except Vancouver would be looking for futures rather than a swap of 100 point players because a Pettersson trade would mean another losing season and will signal at the very least a mini rebuild.

An equivalent to the Tkachuk trade would be a top prospect (untouchables would be Bedard, Cooley, Fantilli, Carlsson, L.Hughes, Michkov, and Nemec), a 1st round pick, and a young core piece.

any prospect not named above would be part of a Pettersson’s deal
What has Nemec shown to be in that class of untouchables? It was a horrific draft year, Slaf went 1st.

Just because he went 2nd doesn't mean he belongs with that tier of prospect. His numbers are good, but certainly nothing to indicate he projects as an elite franchise level forward or anything.

I would say Nemec should be on the table for a Pettersson trade.

DyerMakar

Nov 13, 2022
I clarified the "season before injury" which is what I meant. I've said that multiple times now. Eichel was 10th in scoring. EP was 10th in scoring now. I literally said this next season will be the most important for his value. The similarities are pretty obvious. To act like there isn't any seems like a cope.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
And Pettersson could have as many as 8 as evidenced by the Tkachuk trade.
That's not how it works. EP has to actually want to sign long term with that team. When we traded Jack we could've sent him anywhere. If EP doesn't want to sign with that team they won't trade for him. Almost acts like a NMC.

Signed with term is much more valuable than RFA rights.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What has Nemec shown to be in that class of untouchables? It was a horrific draft year, Slaf went 1st.

Just because he went 2nd doesn't mean he belongs with that tier of prospect. His numbers are good, but certainly nothing to indicate he projects as an elite franchise level forward or anything.

I would say Nemec should be on the table for a Pettersson trade.
Yeah I agree, definitely dont see franchise forward as Nemec's upside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad