Value of: Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He is going to cost that piece you don't ever want to give up, and more.

Some of the offers on here have been outright pathetic in showing the hand of someone that hasn't watched hockey, or even stat watched, outside of their team for the last few years.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I find the stinginess of fans online to be more reflective of actual team behavior than one might think.

If Florida had been more prominent in the rumor mill in the lead up to the Matthew Tkachuk trade, Flames fans would have demanded Anton Lundell. That was Florida’s trendy top young asset at the time.

Columbus fans argued passionately that Seth Jones could pull Kirby Dach from Chicago. “Columbus needs a Center” or something to that effect was a common refrain.

Vegas didn’t have anything untouchable left when Jack Eichel became available. But, Cody Glass wasn’t put on the table for Mark Stone.

The Ryan O’Reilly trade to St.Louis only looks like full value in hindsight. Buffalo fans wanted Robert Thomas in the lead up to the deal.

A wow type piece expectation has led to consistent disappointment; Ryan Johansen returning Seth Jones might be the only one in the past decade that bucked the trend. My rule of thumb is to split the difference between what a selling fanbase wants and what a buying fanbase wants to give up.

Last edited:

DyerMakar

Nov 13, 2022

Some of the offers on here have been outright pathetic in showing the hand of someone that hasn't watched hockey, or even stat watched, outside of their team for the last few years.
When does this ever happen? Fans always say this and I don't think it's ever happened.

A player that is not willing to sign long term with the team (if VAN is bad again), needs a big contract (10M+), and is close to free agency isn't a combination that tells me "going to cost that piece you don't ever want to give up, and more."

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
From Detroit, Kasper, Wallinder and a first
From Boston , wait ,wait wait , get him for nothing because this is where he wants to be , unless Vancouver wakes up and says shit I better get something and do it now and take a lot less than they thought they would get............Now that I made some heads snap I will sit back and enjoy the shit coming my way.........The Bruins have cap after this year ...........

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
From Boston , wait ,wait wait , get him for nothing because this is where he wants to be , unless Vancouver wakes up and says shit I better get something and do it now and take a lot less than they thought they would get............Now that I made some heads snap I will sit back and enjoy the shit coming my way.........The Bruins have cap after this year ...........
Ain't nobody forcing a trade to the post-Bergeron Bruins.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I...didn't bring up Columbus.

Don't need to feel defensive at all as I stated Fantili/Bedard type requests are non starters for any interested team.

As for him not extending in Columbus. Why not? What suggests he wouldn't? If Columbus has a smaller media profile and spotlight but a far better supporting cast and depth of prospects; why would he not sign there? Personally I'd suggest he has a better cast and opportunity in Columbus than he does in Vancouver

But if we are speaking hypothetically ONLY, Jiricek would almost HAVE to be on the table.

The equivalent would be Fantili in 5 years time being a 100+ point selke calibre centre and you damn well know that if that's the case and the suggestion has Fantili potentially moving, you are asking for another teams Jiricek as a starting point and you can not even pretend otherwise ;)
Because some people are all worried about the player agent situation. Personally I think thats silly and you obviously have discussions with Pettersson before a deal like that.

Jiricek is very important to the future success of this team. What looks better in a few years Jiricek-Severson-Peeke(just picking a random 3rd guy) or Severson-Peeke-Ceulemans? Maybe Ceulemans pops and becomes a top 4, we are still wait and see mode there but it slots everyone above where they should be. I get that the team would score and be fun but it can be hard to outscore you problems, especially in the playoffs.

Plus Johnson is a pretty damn good place to start an offer

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
For curiosity sakes, what do Canucks fans need from Panthers for EP?

Lundell + Ekblad for EP + something?
Below is taken from the Canucks board indicated what they feel is a package they’d look for.

NYR: Kakko, Miller, Othhmann, Perrault, 2025 1st

BUF: Cozens, Kulich, Quinn, and 2024 1st + another pick.

CAR: Necas, Jarvis, Nikishin, a late 1st

ANA: McTavish, Luneau/Mintyukov, multiple picks

MIN: Faber, Lambos, Eriksson Ek?, multiple firsts.

• Haha
Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ita

Mar 11, 2019

Yeah, most of these deals are pretty baffling.

Typically, when a team trades four quarters for a dollar, they come out on top. However, the proposals being discussed here are even less favorable. These suggested offers are essentially a collection of individual pennies that don't even equal a full dollar in value when combined.

Reactions: bh53 and Cogburn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Would love to see a deal to Chicago with Seth Jones being the main piece going to Van

You don't seem to understand the asset value difference there. EP is one of the most valuable assets in the game and Seth Jones with his contract is worth closer to zero, possibly negative. He can't be the main piece going to Vancouver. Look for Reichel + Korchinski + multiple 1sts, something like that. In any case EP is trying to go to a winner so Chicago is not happening.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018

Fascinating and true yes. It always starts with the big item. But there's a caveat attached to this and something I believe many people don't understand which I will outline below
A wow type piece expectation has led to consistent disappointment; Ryan Johansen returning Seth Jones might be the only one in the past decade that bucked the trend. My rule of thumb is to split the difference between what a selling fanbase wants and what a buying fanbase wants to give up.
You are right, the ask is usually high. And in the times it happens there is an interesting statistic that happens.

teams that get the player they are targeting. or the "big ticket item" usually end up with buyers remorse or see that bigger ticket item misfire.

Why? I don't know honestly. I think we have seen it time and again. A major trade happens, player x goes one way, and asset Y goes back with all the expectations of the world on them.

But; unfortunately what happens is that asset invariably falters or fails to live up to expectations. ironically, I would say both parties in the Jones/Johansen trade were initially wildly disappointed and both hold contracts that seem out of place for their actual production.

Regarding Pettersson. I think vancouver needs to ask for the absolute moon in the event of a trade because the historical trend is that major trades of this nature invariably do not work out for the team that is trading the better player and not.

Reactions: Cogburn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As a Columbus fan no im not offering Johnson+Jiricek++. Would you happily offer Reinbacher+Dach+Xhekaj+1st? Thats kind of similar to the Columbus deal people suggest but balk at the idea of

I'd be fine with the Canucks having their pick of Jiricek or Kent Johnson in a package, but I agree not both.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that Reinbacher+Dach+Xhekaj+1st would be similar value to Jiricek+Johnson+, I think Jiricek+Johnson is worth more.

Reactions: bh53 and thefutures

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'd be fine with the Canucks having their pick of Jiricek or Kent Johnson in a package, but I agree not both.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that Reinbacher+Dach+Xhekaj+1st would be similar value to Jiricek+Johnson+, I think Jiricek+Johnson is worth more.
The poster was mind blown about teams not wanting to offer certain pieces so I posted something somewhat relevant to see if it was still the same feeling when it was his own tean

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Those are for EP with extension in place right?
Ya Panthers likely can't meet top prospect box then.
Figured a budding 2C in Lundell and Ekblad, a decent top pairing D would be enticing.
Maybe if Vancouver is looking for a Tkachuk-like return if they move EP it could be of some interest. But realistically, if EP won’t re-sign that most likely means the Canucks have had another disappointing season and if that’s the case they have to seriously look at entering an actual rebuild, especially if it’s costing them their franchise player.

Last edited:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Canucks fans, can you point to a past trade that would establish EPs value?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
When does this ever happen? Fans always say this and I don't think it's ever happened.

A player that is not willing to sign long term with the team (if VAN is bad again), needs a big contract (10M+), and is close to free agency isn't a combination that tells me "going to cost that piece you don't ever want to give up, and more."
When has a 100+ center receiving Selke votes been available at 25?

Yeah, most of these deals are pretty baffling.

Typically, when a team trades four quarters for a dollar, they come out on top. However, the proposals being discussed here are even less favorable. These suggested offers are essentially a collection of individual pennies that don't even equal a full dollar in value when combined.
Nickels for a dollar. Not even 20 nickels, mind you.

DyerMakar

Nov 13, 2022
Canucks fans, can you point to a past trade that would establish EPs value?
Eichel is probably the best comparison. Around the same age. Wanting out because the team isn't good.

Eichel was 10th in scoring the season before he got traded. EP was 10th in scoring this year.

Eichel was injured, but he was actually signed to a long-term deal already. Teams didn't have to worry if Eichel was willing to sign a contract with them.

EP is healthy, but this season hasn't started yet. If he plays the same as last year, I think he gets more than Eichel, but not substantially more. If his performance drops a bit or he gets injured I think it will be very close to what Eichel got.

When has a 100+ center receiving Selke votes been available at 25?
Eichel was 10th in scoring the season before. Petey was 10th in scoring this year.

Eichel didn't get Selke votes, but he was pretty solid defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad