Proposal: Ehlers to Buffalo

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If Chevy wants 3 "top-tier assets" and a 4th asset for Ehlers without an extension in place, he seems to be once again taking the approach of wanting an offer he absolutely cannot turn down for a pending UFA like with Helley & Scheifele 12 months ago.
Here's how Chevy's probably thinking...

Keeping Ehlers helps position the Jets for the playoffs, and if things go well with Ehlers and the Jets, they can work on a contract extension.

If not and the Jets need to move Ehlers, he'll likely be worth a lot at the trade deadline. Remember, Chevy traded Copp at the TDL and ended up with a 1st (Lambert), 2nd (Salomonsson), Morgan Barron and a 5th (Milic). Those are a few very good assets for a TDL rental.

Chevy rarely makes a trade if he doesn't get close to his expected value, and is willing to wait until the best time to pull the trigger.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Keeping Ehlers helps position the Jets for the playoffs, and if things go well with Ehlers and the Jets, they can work on a contract extension.

If not and the Jets need to move Ehlers, he'll likely be worth a lot at the trade deadline. Remember, Chevy traded Copp at the TDL and ended up with a 1st (Lambert), 2nd (Salomonsson), Morgan Barron and a 5th (Milic). Those are a few very good assets for a TDL rental.

Chevy rarely makes a trade if he doesn't get close to his expected value, and is willing to wait until the best time to pull the trigger.

The problem with this strategy is the pressure if on Jets to keep him if they are a serious contender. That leaves them at risk of getting nothing or extending contract mostly on his terms.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The problem with this strategy is the pressure if on Jets to keep him if they are a serious contender. That leaves them at risk of getting nothing or extending contract mostly on his terms.
I think the point is that if the Jets are winning and Ehlers is playing a big role, then Chevy will be in a good position to extend his contract. If either the Jets aren't winning, or they are winning without Ehlers playing a key role, then I could see the Jets trading Ehlers sometime before the trade deadline. They have made some substantial in-season trades before.

My point is that if Chevy isn't getting full value for Ehlers, then he'll likely hang onto him until he can get a better return. He's not going to sell low on Ehlers. The Jets had 110 points last season and the most regulation wins in the NHL. They will act accordingly, I think.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Toffoli in 22-23: 34 goals and 73 points.

Ehlers has career highs of 29 goals and 64 points.

And also makes 33% more money than toffoli did.
Toffoli is a streaky scorer with a knack for getting points but is close to one of the worst NHL players in many other areas. He has to be in competition for the slowest skater in the NHL. Ehlers skating is elite, near the top of the league. One of the best transition players in the league for exits and entries. He consistently makes everyone he plays with better. And Nik is quite a bit younger than Toffoli so not a great comparison.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Rosen is an excellent prospect who is ready for NHL now. Krebs is undervalued and young and has potential. I’m not sure exactly what the Jets needs are but trading a rental with a big contract is not getting you a huge return.
Just like Dubois, IF he’s traded, Ehlers will likely be traded with a new contract worked out to maximize value.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Toffoli is a streaky scorer with a knack for getting points but is close to one of the worst NHL players in many other areas. He has to be in competition for the slowest skater in the NHL. Ehlers skating is elite, near the top of the league. One of the best transition players in the league for exits and entries. He consistently makes everyone he plays with better. And Nik is quite a bit younger than Toffoli so not a great comparison.
Age isn't particularly relevant considering we're talking about 2 rentals, not long term assets

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Would jets fans mind telling me why his toi was 15:50? He seems like a guy that should get 16:45-17:00 toi

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Would jets fans mind telling me why his toi was 15:50? He seems like a guy that should get 16:45-17:00 toi
PoMo and Bones both did this. I don't know if the advanced stats have anything to say about this, but my gut instinct having coached a bit of hockey in my time is that at 15-16 minutes the team gets the best out of the guy, but at 18+ minutes the performance drops dramatically. Ehlers is a peculiar player in a few ways. The shifts he gives are at 100% all the time. Most other guys who play more, like Sheifele and Connor for example, turn it on an off throughout shifts. Ehlers burns more energy per shift than a lot of other guys.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The rangers deal was 2 2nd rounders, a 6th rounder, and a prospect about to finish their ELC.

One 2nd became a 1st if they were a final 4 team picking late. The other 2nd had to do with the rangers having theirs and acquiring other teams 2nds.

Buffalo could easily send two 2nds with a similar condition on being a final 4 team then it becomes a 1st.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The rangers deal was 2 2nd rounders, a 6th rounder, and a prospect about to finish their ELC.

One 2nd became a 1st if they were a final 4 team picking late. The other 2nd had to do with the rangers having theirs and acquiring other teams 2nds.

Buffalo could easily send two 2nds with a similar condition on being a final 4 team then it becomes a 1st.
Ehlers is a much more valuable trade asset than Copp.

The NYR were a decent bet to reach the final 4, so the 2nd converting to a 1st wasn't such a longshot. It would be like a 2nd becoming a 1st if the Sabres make the playoffs. Still, Ehlers has more value than Copp did.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Just like Dubois, IF he’s traded, Ehlers will likely be traded with a new contract worked out to maximize value.
What was PLD moved for?

Villardi, iaffalo, kupari, and a 2nd. Iaffalo was moved as a veg with high cap hit t ok balance out the space. The other 2 players were RFAs after ending their ELCs. They were not hot young prospects.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ehlers is a much more valuable trade asset than Copp.

The NYR were a decent bet to reach the final 4, so the 2nd converting to a 1st wasn't such a longshot. It would be like a 2nd becoming a 1st if the Sabres make the playoffs. Still, Ehlers has more value than Copp did.
But Buffalo first has alot more value than the rangers 1st if its playoff protected. Likely a late term pick.

As I said before Fiala for Lzs 19th OA and Faber and Reinhart for next year 1st and Levi. Both of them were younger and RFAs. Reinhart was 25. I think Fiala was 26 at the start of the next season after that summer trade. Ehlers is I think 29. Hes not getting that kind of return.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If Ehlers is traded to Buffalo with a new deal in place...Peterka and/or Byram will be going the other way. Cap will be an issue for Buffalo starting next season.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

LMAO! The condition wouldn’t be on Buffalo being a final 4 team because that happens only in their wildest dreams. The condition is more likely that they qualify for the playoffs.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
But Buffalo first has alot more value than the rangers 1st if its playoff protected. Likely a late term pick.

As I said before Fiala for Lzs 19th OA and Faber and Reinhart for next year 1st and Levi. Both of them were younger and RFAs. Reinhart was 25. I think Fiala was 26 at the start of the next season after that summer trade. Ehlers is I think 29. Hes not getting that kind of return.
Faber is the best player there.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Rosen is an excellent prospect who is ready for NHL now. Krebs is undervalued and young and has potential. I’m not sure exactly what the Jets needs are but trading a rental with a big contract is not getting you a huge return.
Since when is 6mil for a top 6 player expensive?

Jets are not trading ehlers for krebs we need someone more established. If that’s the offer jets are better off losing Ehlers as a ufa.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad