Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
It wouldn't shock me if Swick would be given a long look by Vegas and they start him in the AHL this fall. They'll want a player of his size to really work on his physical game. The place to do that is playing against men, not kids.
Or he could just work on it against a few teams here that are well known for their physical play...

:hit:

Reactions: All the Answers

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
At any height.
Not sure why the sour grapes?
Good for the big guy. At that size he'll be playing a specific role and as such, will need "much much much" more professional traing. More than the OHL can provide.
Swick vs Rempe 2025!

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
I don’t watch Kitchener but the knock on swick in his OHL draft year was that he’s a giant but zero physical intensity. he hits from time to time but generally thinks he’s soft skill. is that still the case?
I would say this is still relatively accurate today. He’s definitely more physical than he was playing minor hockey but opposing players over say 5’9 don’t seem scared to battle in a corner against him by any means even though he is bigger and stronger obviously.

The idea of him needing to go pro to work on this doesn’t track for me. I would imagine Vegas isn’t projecting him to become Rempe 2.0 so another season of junior where he can play with Rehkopf, work on his physicality and then play for a contender after the deadline would be great for his development.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I would say this is still relatively accurate today. He’s definitely more physical than he was playing minor hockey but opposing players over say 5’9 don’t seem scared to battle in a corner against him by any means even though he is bigger and stronger obviously.

The idea of him needing to go pro to work on this doesn’t track for me. I would imagine Vegas isn’t projecting him to become Rempe 2.0 so another season of junior where he can play with Rehkopf, work on his physicality and then play for a contender after the deadline would be great for his development.
he’s for sure back baring any shocking play at camp. if hes not that physical aggressive power guy now he probably never will be and won’t get it at pro I do t imagine

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I wouldn’t go as far as to call him soft, but he isn’t scaring anyone out there. In his rookie year, he dished out a few massive open ice hits that were mostly legal, but not in this league. Getting five and a game for open ice hits, legal or not, obviously caused him to refrain, or the coaching staff gave him refrain, from these actions.

He reminds me of Connor Bunnaman in the way he shies away from confrontation in most scrums. I said about Bunnaman back then that if he developed a mean streak, he could up his draft ranking and have a nice pro career. You’d have to twist his arm to give someone as much as a face wash.

Posters like OHL4Life came on here and said what he just did in his post above. Damned if he wasn’t right then, and he’s likely right now.

No disrespect to Swick, or Bunnaman for that matter. But if you’re not that type of player, you’re not that type of player, size be damned.

But being that big, and not having that element in your game sticks out like a sore thumb more than it does smaller players if you don’t put up numbers.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I wouldn’t go as far as to call him soft, but he isn’t scaring anyone out there. In his rookie year, he dished out a few massive open ice hits that were mostly legal, but not in this league. Getting five and a game for open ice hits, legal or not, obviously caused him to refrain, or the coaching staff gave him refrain, from these actions.

He reminds me of Connor Bunnaman in the way he shies away from confrontation in most scrums. I said about Bunnaman back then that if he developed a mean streak, he could up his draft ranking and have a nice pro career. You’d have to twist his arm to give someone as much as a face wash.

Posters like OHL4Life came on here and said what he just did in his post above. Damned if he wasn’t right then, and he’s likely right now.

No disrespect to Swick, or Bunnaman for that matter. But if you’re not that type of player, you’re not that type of player, size be damned.

But being that big, and not having that element in your game sticks out like a sore thumb more than it does smaller players if you don’t put up numbers.
100 percent, most ‘mean’ players are mean at 8 or 9, not 20. It’s hard to develop that mentality. You can adapt your game and use your body more, but the natural mean streak is just that, natural

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Swick was drafted despite his lack of a "mean" streak that's apparently evident at a young age. But he does have the size and skill sets that caught the interest of professionals. He needs to hit more, be more aggressive around the net, and add some grit to his game this year. It's easy to be mean and a bully. There was a 4th line devoted to that last year and it wasn't pretty....or hockey for that matter.

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Swick was drafted despite his lack of a "mean" streak that's apparently evident at a young age. But he does have the size and skill sets that caught the interest of professionals. He needs to hit more, be more aggressive around the net, and add some grit to his game this year. It's easy to be mean and a bully. There was a 4th line devoted to that last year and it wasn't pretty....or hockey for that matter.
This is exactly why I think Swick's heading for something other than an OA season - at least to start. He's had 3 seasons in Kitchener and hasn't made much progress in his physical play. Like you said it's easy to be a bully playing against kids. It's time for him to see if he can take advantage of his size playing against men. I think Swick at least starts somewhere playing pro.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
This is exactly why I think Swick's heading for something other than an OA season - at least to start. He's had 3 seasons in Kitchener and hasn't made much progress in his physical play. Like you said it's easy to be a bully playing against kids. It's time for him to see if he can take advantage of his size playing against men. I think Swick at least starts somewhere playing pro.
The counter argument to that is that if he's not using his size against kids - the chances that he starts to play with grit against bigger players is fairly low.

Maybe he'll be forced into it if he's playing against more physical players that match up better size-wise, but that's a bit of a gamble in terms of development.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The counter argument to that is that if he's not using his size against kids - the chances that he starts to play with grit against bigger players is fairly low.

Maybe he'll be forced into it if he's playing against more physical players that match up better size-wise, but that's a bit of a gamble in terms of development.
Just saying I wouldn't be shocked if they kept Swick up for a while to see if different coaching and playing against older players stimulates his physical play. If it doesn't he can always be sent back.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just saying I wouldn't be shocked if they kept Swick up for a while to see if different coaching and playing against older players stimulates his physical play. If it doesn't he can always be sent back.
usually you need to prove you can do it at lower levels before they let you try at higher levels

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I don't think coaching is the issue. Juicy has realized that the team needs more physicality after their playoff series against London last year and it shows in the players that they have drafted this year. I am sure he has different plans for Swick this year.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Go Razor!
1722427874927.png

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Trade Freeze should be lifted by Monday.
08’s can officially commit to NCAA programs tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad