Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
yes, but that was to cover money on his contract the Penguins could not pay at the time the Penguins were close to folding. But now giving a player stock options would be considered cap circumvention

Obviously there are ways around that how would they determine if a player was not promised something before if hired for coaching or any part of the organization after their career is over

A player can obviously be hired as a coach. But if he's hired as a coach an is getting 10x more than a coach would be getting, the league would investigate and almost assuredly determine it is cap circumvention.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
McD and Drai should get every penny they can cuz without these two this team is junk. If anyone should be taking a team friendly it should be Bouchard cuz without McDrai Bouchard is nothing either. Don’t get me started on Nurse.

• Haha
Reactions: Dempsey

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
If they want to win a cup, they all need to take a hit. Bouch should take the smallest hit, then Drai, then McDavid. Honestly, McDavid should take a massive hit on a smaller contract window, as I've said numerous times on here. Sign a 3 year deal for like $5-6 M, and then sign your "retirement contract" for 8 years at whatever. McDavid wouldn't even notice the money difference due to his endorsements and previous amount of earnings, and it would cement his legacy as a "win at all costs" guy. What is more important to McDavid another $30 million, or winning cups? The guy is going to retire with something like $250-300 M in career earnings anyhow, and still pull in pretty decent endorsement money in retirement as well. If I was his father, this would be my advice for certain.

McDavid sets the bar for every other player in the league, thats just not happening. The PA would have a heart attack

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid sets the bar for every other player in the league, thats just not happening. The PA would have a heart attack
This has been pointed out by @Fourier a number of times already. But in a hard cap, there is no reason for the NHLPA to care. The amount of money players get is fixed and tied directly to league revenue. McDavid taking a larger slice of the pie just means that others get a smaller slice. He'd be raising the bar for the 1% of the league that is the elite of the elite, and lowering it for everyone else.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
McD and Drai should get every penny they can cuz without these two this team is junk. If anyone should be taking a team friendly it should be Bouchard cuz without McDrai Bouchard is nothing either. Don’t get me started on Nurse.
That's OK, they would still have Nuge to carry the team. 😉

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
If draisaitl leaves it’s because he wants to get paid instead of winning. So I’m fine with that.

Ya, we’ve already seen how that works, high draft picks year after year.
The same thing happens when you can only get those who want to get paid. Just ask Calgary.

• Haha
Reactions: Broberg Speed

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
If draisaitl leaves it’s because he wants to get paid instead of winning. So I’m fine with that.

The same thing happens when you can only get those who want to get paid. Just ask Calgary.
Your confusing those who ‘want’ to get paid and those who ‘deserve’ to get paid, huge difference.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I see this said quite often. But has the PA ever actively stepped into a completed negotiation to try to change it?

Reactions: AM

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
That’s how it works if you want to win.
It’s a little more complicated than that, and I agree to a point but this is a top heavy team, it’s reflected in the stats and will be reflected on the cap, way she goes.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
It is so easy to curtail the CBA if you want to gain an advantage signing players, but it requires all parties to shut their traps.

I would create a shell company, etc. Partner up with a players wife, who has her own company. Maybe we buy a apartment building, etc. Something where she gets a nice amount of income per month. But then she can't tie that to her husband. That part is all based on trust. Husband is already rich anyways if something happens.

Problem is if things go sour, sh** can hit the fan.

Say they get a divorce. She is like Kanes mentall ill ex. Starts blabbing, even to mess her own stuff up

I see this said quite often. But has the PA ever actively stepped into a completed negotiation to try to change it?
I know they got mad at Weight when he tried to stay in Edmonton for 4-4.5 mill. What did he sign in STL for? 8? While the Oilers were giving them revenue sharing too lol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Stan likes matching deals right?

Leon 12.5 x 8
Connor 12.5 x 8
Honestly I bet this is what happens. What are the comparables? Imo MacKinnon. McDavid isn't cash motivated. He wants big money but he doesn't need or want to get top dollar. He understands the cap and he believes the cup is close.

One could point to Toronto but look at the players who signed with the Oilers this summer for a shot at the cup, taking less to do so. MacKinnon left money on the table too, because both the Oilers and Avalanche are genuine cup threats. The Leafs have not built anything close to that so of course their players will take the money.

Edit: the ultimate offseason outcome here is that both Draisaitl and McDavid play a role in convincing Bouchard to take a bit less

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think it’s just a reality of the cap system. Every team will have a boat anchor somewhere on the roster. I’m hoping contract term limits come down to 5 years and some sort of buyout that doesn’t penalize teams on the cap can be negotiated.
I remember the poster during 2020-21 North Division campaign, the Nurse cheerleader that was vocal during every game and after every game that spoke, Darnell needs to get paid 9M, Nurse needs to get 10M, the Oilers might have to pay Nurse something that starts with an 11.

• Haha
Reactions: Sanchez

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If it happened after every game it should probably be pretty easy for you to find some examples.
I know it happened, and I didn't say it happened every game. Cross reference every game Nurse scored and look into those threads on those dates and you'll find plenty of representative cases. My recollection is not faulty. Are you flat out calling me a liar?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I know it happened, and I didn't say it happened every game. Cross reference every game Nurse scored and look into those threads on those dates and you'll find plenty of representative cases. My recollection is not faulty. Are you flat out calling me a liar?

o_O:help::huh:

I remember the poster during 2020-21 North Division campaign, the Nurse cheerleader that was vocal during every game and after every game that spoke, Darnell needs to get paid 9M, Nurse needs to get 10M, the Oilers might have to pay Nurse something that starts with an 11.

Bullshit, if you can go back that far take a f***ing look at every game and post game thread and you'll see it. Multiple times.

Everything I said in my previous post is 100% accurate. Why would you say, "no one was saying this"? One very prominent poster was outspoken about Nurse and his next contract, and they wouldn't stop talking about it.

Look at the posters that liked your comment. Absolute f***ing garbage. What a load of shit.

You can't even remember what you posted within the past few hours. Why would I possibly believe your recollection from more than 3 years ago.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I meant look into every game day and post game thread to find some examples, I didn't mean every game day and post game thread was jam-packed with "pay Nurse 9M dollars or more" quotes. Could you be any more insincere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad