Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You also don’t have millions of fans and generations of kids looking up to you. You also won’t be in the history books. You also won’t be talked about in goat conversations for years. You also won’t be in a HOF. Peter being the best in the office and McDavid are not the same.
I don't know how to respond to you. Sounds like you're agreeing with me while also trying to disagree with me? haha

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sounds like you're agreeing with me while also trying to disagree with me? haha
giphy.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Let's compare them Matthews has 2 50 goal seasons Draisaitl has 3, and Matthews has 2 100 point seasons with a high of 107 Draisaitl has 5 with a high of 128 Drai has outproduced Matthews every season head to head till last season where Matthews outscored him by 1 point 107-106
Matthews is the better sniper when healthy. Draisaitl is the better player. Most importantly when the playoffs start, Drai is miles ahead.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
MacKs at 12.5M. Leo needs to ask himself if we beat Colorado with our best two players being paid way more than their best two players.

Reactions: Duke74

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Honestly what can you do with 14 million that you can't do with 12??? Or rather what can you do with what can you do with 110 million you couldn't do with 100 ??

I guess kicks in on being the highest paid player if even only for a few months lolol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
MacKs at 12.5M. Leo needs to ask himself if we beat Colorado with our best two players being paid way more than their best two players.
This is actually a tricky situation for the Oilers. Leon wants to be here, and he says he wants to take a discount, but what he considers a discount might be quite different than what the rest of us think of a discount. And maybe not too. After signing what turned out to be a very team friendly deal last time, I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to sign something more "fair" to his production - but its also important to realize that he's nearing the end of his prime. On an 8 year deal, we will be paying him until he is 38 years old. It's unlikely that Leon will still be producing 50 goals and 100 points a year at 38 - its a good thing there is major inflation on the cap expected in the next couple of years.

I think Leon gets McDavid’s old contract and McD signs for 13.5.

Ideally Bouchard gets Nurse’s contract and Nurse gets traded.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is actually a tricky situation for the Oilers. Leon wants to be here, and he says he wants to take a discount, but what he considers a discount might be quite different than what the rest of us think of a discount. And maybe not too. After signing what turned out to be a very team friendly deal last time, I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to sign something more "fair" to his production - but its also important to realize that he's nearing the end of his prime. On an 8 year deal, we will be paying him until he is 38 years old. It's unlikely that Leon will still be producing 50 goals and 100 points a year at 38 - its a good thing there is major inflation on the cap expected in the next couple of years.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
We should keep in mind that his team friendly deal at the time it was signed, wasn't viewed as team friendly. It was viewed as an overpay and a sign of trust in Draisaitl that very little in the hockey world had in him at that time. Only in hindsight was it an overpay. It was a more than fair contract offered at the time.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We should keep in mind that his team friendly deal at the time it was signed, wasn't viewed as team friendly. It was viewed as an overpay and a sign of trust in Draisaitl that very little in the hockey world had in him at that time. Only in hindsight was it an overpay. It was a more than fair contract offered at the time.
That's why I said it turned out to be a team friendly deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNumber4

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Let's compare them Matthews has 2 50 goal seasons Draisaitl has 3, and Matthews has 2 100 point seasons with a high of 107 Draisaitl has 5 with a high of 128 Drai has outproduced Matthews every season head to head till last season where Matthews outscored him by 1 point 107-106

And then there’s playoff output.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Any discount we get on Mcdavid and Draisaitl contracts will just make up for the Nurse contract.

If we didn't have that anchor (or I guess the buyouts if you want to count that), we would have near perfect contract situations across the board.

Seems like no matter what, and we aren't the only ones, teams will find a way to have at least one f*** up deal that severely handicaps an otherwise strong roster/cap position.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If the decision is between paying two of the greatest players to ever to play the game until the age of 37 or paying a bunch of mediocre players 7-8M per year until they are 34, then pretend those players are great and the team will do it by committee, that decision is f***ing simple.

I suggest those who want shorter term deals go follow one of the many perennial shit tier teams and stop complaining about the Oilers building a long-term winner.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If we didn't have that anchor (or I guess the buyouts if you want to count that), we would have near perfect contract situations across the board.

Seems like no matter what, and we aren't the only ones, teams will find a way to have at least one f*** up deal that severely handicaps an otherwise strong roster/cap position.

I think it’s just a reality of the cap system. Every team will have a boat anchor somewhere on the roster. I’m hoping contract term limits come down to 5 years and some sort of buyout that doesn’t penalize teams on the cap can be negotiated.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think it’s just a reality of the cap system. Every team will have a boat anchor somewhere on the roster. I’m hoping contract term limits come down to 5 years and some sort of buyout that doesn’t penalize teams on the cap can be negotiated.

A limited number of compliance buyouts over a defined period in time would solve a lot of problems for the quality of play on ice and would be an easy sell to the players. However, all accounts are that Bettman won't even think about opening the door to cap flexibility in any form in fear of the slippery slope it might create.

Even something like one compliance buyout to be used once every 5 years would be a good middle ground. Isn't ripe for abuse, doesn't give teams a gateway to take big risks and then easily get out, but gives teams an out for the inevitable periodic screw up. Or in some cases, not even a screw up, but a player checking out after cashing in (Kuznetsov comes to mind). League would be much better off with several younger players with promise and arb rights eating up cap instead of all of it going to one terrible player.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If the decision is between paying two of the greatest players to ever to play the game until the age of 37 or paying a bunch of mediocre players 7-8M per year until they are 34, then pretend those players are great and the team will do it by committee, that decision is f***ing simple.

I suggest those who want shorter term deals go follow one of the many perennial shit tier teams and stop complaining about the Oilers building a long-term winner.

So wait... we aren't supposed to complain about the Oilers now?

Oh Broberg Speed... never change.

Reactions: Sanchez

Oilmageddon

Oct 7, 2009
Katz talking to McDavid and Draisaitl "Wouldn't it be neat when your guys playing careers are over to own a piece of the Oilers wink wink "
I have always wondered about this. Can players be granted stock options in the private OEG company or is it against the CBA rules?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I have always wondered about this. Can players be granted stock options in the private OEG company or is it against the CBA rules?
26.2 Undisclosed Terms and Revenues. A Club (directly or indirectly through a "Club Actor," i.e., any owner, shareholder, Club Affiliated Entity, the NHL or third party acting at the behest of a Club) and a Player (directly or indirectly through a "Player Actor," i.e., his Certified Agent or any other individual, any entity, or the NHLPA, acting on behalf of the Player) may not, at any time, enter into undisclosed agreements of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind involving consideration of any kind to be paid, furnished or made available or guaranteed to the Player, or Player Actor, by the Club or Club Actor either prior to, during, or after the term of the Player's SPC.

Very explicitly not allowed.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Doesn’t Lemieux own some of the penguins ?
yes, but that was to cover money on his contract the Penguins could not pay at the time the Penguins were close to folding. But now giving a player stock options would be considered cap circumvention

26.2 Undisclosed Terms and Revenues. A Club (directly or indirectly through a "Club Actor," i.e., any owner, shareholder, Club Affiliated Entity, the NHL or third party acting at the behest of a Club) and a Player (directly or indirectly through a "Player Actor," i.e., his Certified Agent or any other individual, any entity, or the NHLPA, acting on behalf of the Player) may not, at any time, enter into undisclosed agreements of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind involving consideration of any kind to be paid, furnished or made available or guaranteed to the Player, or Player Actor, by the Club or Club Actor either prior to, during, or after the term of the Player's SPC.

Very explicitly not allowed.
Obviously there are ways around that how would they determine if a player was not promised something before if hired for coaching or any part of the organization after their career is over

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Doesn’t Lemieux own some of the penguins ?
He does, but he bought into the ownership himself.

I believe historically this kind of thing was allowed though. I believe Bobby Orr's agent famously screwed him him out of a contract that would have given him ~20% of the Boston Bruins instead telling him to sign in Chicago for more money upfront while not informing him of the Bruins offer.

But nowadays this kind of thing is prohibited in the CBA. I think any sort of employment or opportunities even after retirement has to be within the regular realms of what someone would normally get in that position. So after he retired you couldn't just give Draisaitl an extra $5M a year to be a scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad