Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
If they want to win a cup, they all need to take a hit. Bouch should take the smallest hit, then Drai, then McDavid. Honestly, McDavid should take a massive hit on a smaller contract window, as I've said numerous times on here. Sign a 3 year deal for like $5-6 M, and then sign your "retirement contract" for 8 years at whatever. McDavid wouldn't even notice the money difference due to his endorsements and previous amount of earnings, and it would cement his legacy as a "win at all costs" guy. What is more important to McDavid another $30 million, or winning cups? The guy is going to retire with something like $250-300 M in career earnings anyhow, and still pull in pretty decent endorsement money in retirement as well. If I was his father, this would be my advice for certain.
There is a zero chance of McDavid signing a 3 yr $5-6M deal. His agent, the player's association, would flip out if it was even suggested.

I can remember only once or twice players signing for peanuts to try to win a cup. Selanne and Kariya to Colorado, and Richards in Chicago. But never a player in their prime, and never a player re-signing with their own team.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If they want to win a cup, they all need to take a hit. Bouch should take the smallest hit, then Drai, then McDavid. Honestly, McDavid should take a massive hit on a smaller contract window, as I've said numerous times on here. Sign a 3 year deal for like $5-6 M, and then sign your "retirement contract" for 8 years at whatever. McDavid wouldn't even notice the money difference due to his endorsements and previous amount of earnings, and it would cement his legacy as a "win at all costs" guy. What is more important to McDavid another $30 million, or winning cups? The guy is going to retire with something like $250-300 M in career earnings anyhow, and still pull in pretty decent endorsement money in retirement as well. If I was his father, this would be my advice for certain.
Sorry but this is beyond ridiculous.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
There is a zero chance of McDavid signing a 3 yr $5-6M deal. His agent, the player's association, would flip out if it was even suggested.

I can remember only once or twice players signing for peanuts to try to win a cup. Selanne and Kariya to Colorado, and Richards in Chicago. But never a player in their prime, and never a player re-signing with their own team.
Even then, Selanne's contract was 1 year at $5.8M and that was in 2003.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
But Kariya was $1.2. And even at $5.8 it was a pay cut.
Very true. They both went from among the highest paid in the league to bare bones deals.

Selanne even signed with the Ducks the next year for $1M.

Last edited:

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
This is satire right?

Reactions: Senor Catface

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
tommy-boy-comedy.gif

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
hah, I see most people don't believe in "legacy over money". To each their own I guess, maybe I care about money less than most people, but I know if I had $200-300 M in earnings in my life, that the thing I wouldn't give a single care about, would be an extra $30 M, I would care about legacy.

The way I view every big decision in life is like this: at the end of my days, when I'm laying on my death bed thinking about my life, what is the decision I would have wanted to make? I think when you view things through this lens, you quickly realize how little money really matters, especially when you have some money. If you are dirt poor or whatever, then its a different story, but McDavid already has generational wealth, so that doesn't apply. Hell, I don't have anything approaching generational wealth, and money isn't the primary driver for me anymore.

Again, maybe money matters less to me than others though, entirely possible.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I don't think Draisaitl is signing any 8 year deals without first talking to McDavid to see what his plans are. So the fact that there are rumours that Drai is now looking for a very long term deal, that gives me great optimism that McDavid will be re-signing long term as well, which is the best news any Oiler fan can have.

Reactions: Duke74

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
hah, I see most people don't believe in "legacy over money". To each their own I guess, maybe I care about money less than most people, but I know if I had $200-300 M in earnings in my life, that the thing I wouldn't give a single care about, would be an extra $30 M, I would care about legacy.

The way I view every big decision in life is like this: at the end of my days, when I'm laying on my death bed thinking about my life, what is the decision I would have wanted to make? I think when you view things through this lens, you quickly realize how little money really matters, especially when you have some money. If you are dirt poor or whatever, then its a different story, but McDavid already has generational wealth, so that doesn't apply. Hell, I don't have anything approaching generational wealth, and money isn't the primary driver for me anymore.

Because there is always risk involved. What if he signed 2yr x 5 million then shattered his leg so bad he could never play again. Then he missed out on another 100 million. That's a lot of money to bet on maybe winning a cup.

You sign the giant deal knowing if things aren't going well you could demand a trade.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Where do you get 30 million from? He would be signing an 18 million dollar contract in your magic land instead of locking down a 120 mill+ contract. Beyond stupid to risk that.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think Draisaitl is signing any 8 year deals without first talking to McDavid to see what his plans are. So the fact that there are rumours that Drai is now looking for a very long term deal, that gives me great optimism that McDavid will be re-signing long term as well, which is the best news any Oiler fan can have.
I'm sure they have already discussed it at length.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What is your idea of the biggest contract in NHL history?
I imagine it'll be something like 15mx8 which will probably be very close to the same percentage of the cap as his first deal was. Not biggest contract in NHL history, but thats because guys like Ovechkin were able to sign for 12 year deals instead of the 8 year max we have now.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

We aren't talking about ourselves and no one is suggesting that it isn't an honourable thought. In professional sports, or business, people worry about legacy at the end, not in their prime. If it is 8 years from now, Anaheim or Buffalo is a wagon would McDavid without a cup sign for cheap to try to win one? Certainly.

Would McDavid, or Draisaitl, or MacKinnon or Matthews etc, leave $30M on the table in their prime to try to win one? Zero chance. Would they sign for maybe a million less to help the team fit the pieces? That would be honourable as well.

An afterthought...it isn't McDavid's fault that the Oilers had to buyout James Neal, sign Jack Campbell or Darnell Nurse, or any of the other dumb moves management has made since 2015. He shouldn't have to give up $30M due to mismanagement.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Where do you get 30 million from? He would be signing an 18 million dollar contract in your magic land instead of locking down a 120 mill+ contract. Beyond stupid to risk that.

The difference of say $5 M/year, vs $15/year over 3 years, so $30 M. You are assuming that he can't lock down a 8 year deal after the 3 year deal, which he 100% will be able to do, barring a catastrophic injury, which is exceptionally unlikely to occur. He would likely actually make MORE on the future 8 year deal due to the rising cap, although I'm guessing it would still be a net negative on his career totals.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
We aren't talking about ourselves and no one is suggesting that it isn't an honourable thought. In professional sports, or business, people worry about legacy at the end, not in their prime. If it is 8 years from now, Anaheim or Buffalo is a wagon would McDavid without a cup sign for cheap to try to win one? Certainly.

Would McDavid, or Draisaitl, or MacKinnon or Matthews etc, leave $30M on the table in their prime to try to win one? Zero chance. Would they sign for maybe a million less to help the team fit the pieces? That would be honourable as well.

An afterthought...it isn't McDavid's fault that the Oilers had to buyout James Neal, sign Jack Campbell or Darnell Nurse, or any of the other dumb moves management has made since 2015. He shouldn't have to give up $30M due to mismanagement.

Yeah, I've said numerous times that I don't actually expect this to happen. These guys are in their mid/late 20s, not in their late 40s as I am, lol. Those extra ~20 years provide a LOT of clarity in life. That's why I always describe it as the advice I would give if I was McDavid's father (which I'm pretty much old enough to be). It is the advice I would give my own son, if he was ever fortunate enough to be in such a position in life. Once you have "enough", however you define that in your own life, money really, REALLY, doesn't matter anymore.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Yeah, I've said numerous times that I don't actually expect this to happen. These guys are in their mid/late 20s, not in their late 40s as I am, lol. Those extra ~20 years provide a LOT of clarity in life. That's why I always describe it as the advice I would give if I was McDavid's father (which I'm pretty much old enough to be). It is the advice I would give my own son, if he was ever fortunate enough to be in such a position in life. Once you have "enough", however you define that in your own life, money really, REALLY, doesn't matter anymore.
If it were my son, I would say sign for the most you can for the next 8 years. It isn't his job to manage the team properly by taking $10 million a year less. You do your job, let the management do theirs. Cross the legacy bridge at the end.

Reactions: Messrules11

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I imagine it'll be something like 15mx8 which will probably be very close to the same percentage of the cap as his first deal was. Not biggest contract in NHL history, but thats because guys like Ovechkin were able to sign for 12 year deals instead of the 8 year max we have now.
The 8 years deals end up making McDavid more money than the 12 or 15 years deal for OV and Crosby. McDavid can still take the same 12.5M deal and still make more than both OV and Crosby.

Crosby next deal could be 12M x 2 years as he needs 2 years to become the Pitts all time point leader and he deserves it but if he decides 8.7M is the deal for him again it means it was never about $$ for him and I'm hoping McDavid sees the same way.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
Anything over 13.25 makes him the highest paid player no? Seems fair as auston matthews is probably the better player, but he signed last yr (lower cap) and only for 5 years. 8 years at 13.5-13.75 per year seems like a good deal for us still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad