Proposal: Ehlers to Buffalo

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yep, and he makes 1.5 mill more to offset that. Lower your expectations on what a 60 point rental winger making 6 mill returns
My expectation is that he won't be traded at all tbh.

Chevy has said that the team is all in to win, and he wants to retain Ehlers. I imagine that unless he's blown away by an offer we just let it ride with him next season contract or not.

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
Why is that? You have Zucker and Greenway.Benson needs to play with more offensive players to bring out his high offensive potential and elevates the other two players on that line
Greenway belongs in the 4th line

As a jets fan, unless that 1st is high not great, neither kebs or joker impress me much.
Krebs is from Winnipeg and has upside.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
Benson was 18 playing in the NHL last year so to say he's a 3rd liner is disingenuous, could he be there this year yes but to think he can't build off a 30 point season at 18 is ridiculous.
This year he belongs on the 3rd line if Sabres want to make playoffs. Ultimately he projects as a 2nd line player but the Sabres must win now.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Dont see buffalo in the market for a top 6F for futures.

If it was to happen it would be a hockey trade of current roster for current roster

On the top 9 they just signed Zucker and have Greenway who are both UFAs in the off season.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Not crazy about the idea of Ehlers simply due to age and contract. He's going to want 7-8 million until he's 36. On second thought, I guess that isn't too awful.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Yep, and he makes 1.5 mill more to offset that. Lower your expectations on what a 60 point rental winger making 6 mill returns
IF Ehlers is traded it will be to a team with a new contract already worked out just like the Jets did to maximize the return on Dubois.

If the Sabres aren’t serious about acquiring a player who tilts the ice and wins his matchups, then they can back off and watch him go to a team like Detroit, NYI or Ottawa.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Didn't it come out at the draft the neither Necas, Nor Ehlers were willing to sign an extension in Buffalo? and that's why neither ended up there?

I seem to recall that.

Reactions: freester

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I would not do such a contract. 4 yrs Is the max I'd do.
Yeah, but you know he won't. He'll be looking for the retirement contract. Someone will give it to him. And if that team was Buffalo, they'd probably have to overpay to keep him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shark Finn

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
No it did not.

Ehlers doesnt seem willing to sign an extension of with WPG

Necas has I think 3 yrs if team control. He wants C money yet he doesnt pl as g center
Once again HFBoards taking pure guesses as fact. We have information that Ehlers may have been available as trade bait before the playoffs were finished to fill other gaps. We can assume that means a #1 RHD trade or signing, but the Jets are a black hole of information. We’ve heard nothing since then and Chevy built his roster assuming he’s staying, so by all means it looks like the status quo. If Arniel has Ehlers penciled on PP1 out of camp, he’d sign immediately and we can put this to bed. Until then, we know literally nothing.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
More likely Sabres fans need to lower their expectations of what a busted pick and an overpaid 6th defenseman is worth. These are players who can barely be useful for the Sabres. How useful would they be on a good team?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

From what I understand, the Winnipeg Jets wanted four pieces from the Sabres in exchange for Nik Ehlers without an extension in place. Three of those four would have been considered top-tier assets.

If Chevy wants 3 "top-tier assets" and a 4th asset for Ehlers without an extension in place, he seems to be once again taking the approach of wanting an offer he absolutely cannot turn down for a pending UFA like with Helley & Scheifele 12 months ago.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Once again HFBoards taking pure guesses as fact. We have information that Ehlers may have been available as trade bait before the playoffs were finished to fill other gaps. We can assume that means a #1 RHD trade or signing, but the Jets are a black hole of information. We’ve heard nothing since then and Chevy built his roster assuming he’s staying, so by all means it looks like the status quo. If Arniel has Ehlers penciled on PP1 out of camp, he’d sign immediately and we can put this to bed. Until then, we know literally nothing.
Ehlers has 1 yr to UFA. Not RFA.

Jets likely asking for something unrealistic.

Reinhart as a RFA w/ 1 yr to UFA. Returned a late 1st+ decent prospect

Fiala was similar to Reinhart

Ehlers being older and 1yr more likely returns less.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
IF Ehlers is traded it will be to a team with a new contract already worked out just like the Jets did to maximize the return on Dubois.

If the Sabres aren’t serious about acquiring a player who tilts the ice and wins his matchups, then they can back off and watch him go to a team like Detroit, NYI or Ottawa.

If he is traded now, it will be an extension. I think you get more at deadline if no extension in place. It doesn't make much sense because you are getting 25 games post deadline versus a whole season but teams are more desperate at deadline

Reactions: Whileee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad