Recalled/Assigned: Edvinsson, Berggren & others sent to GR

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

O6OG

Feb 15, 2022
Chariot-Seider
Maatta-Hronek
Hagg-Lindstrom (oesterle)

Edvinsson didn't earn a f***ing thing, bro.
One day, he's gonna be a top 4, maybe even top pairing D.
He's nowhere near that yet.
What did Hagg & Lindstrom show and earn?

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Flyers fan here, he’s unbearable to watch. Have fun.
I'm certain I've watched an NHL game that has had Robert Hagg play in it, but I honestly can't recall noticing him, or thinking about him one way or the other. What's the biggest frustration? A good-skating defensive defenseman who can move the puck and chip in some physical play sounds great on the surface. But a player like that with no warts is a top-4 defenseman, and Hagg is obviously not a top-4 guy, so I'm sure there'll be some headaches with his game.

Reactions: Dtybur

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What did Hagg & Lindstrom show and earn?
Well, Hagg was hurt. But Hagg has 300 NHL games to his name. He was signed to be a 3LD if Edvinsson wasn't ready.
Lindstrom is a RHD. So again, Edvinsson doesn't really figure into this.
But Lindstrom did manage three points - more than all other Detroit D at 5 on 5 or at all strengths,

Reactions: 13to40

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm certain I've watched an NHL game that has had Robert Hagg play in it, but I honestly can't recall noticing him, or thinking about him one way or the other. What's the biggest frustration? A good-skating defensive defenseman who can move the puck and chip in some physical play sounds great on the surface. But a player like that with no warts is a top-4 defenseman, and Hagg is obviously not a top-4 guy, so I'm sure there'll be some headaches with his game.
He signed a $800k contract, because he's a $800k player. Perfectly fine for one year as third pair while Ed and AlJo get a season in GR.

He's better than Oesterle. That's all that matters.

Reactions: Dtybur

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I generally think better of Yzerman than this, so I'm hoping there's something else to this. Edvinsson can go down, whatever, but having a massive logjam everywhere like this is not great management. Especially down in GR, where these kids need icetime to develop.

So now somebody gets their career put on hold because the Wings definitely needed to sign Robert Hagg.
Definately think something is up. I do believe Yzerman did say no one is guaranteed a spot and wanted there too be a competition between guys. So my thinking is he went over board in signings so that he isn't forced to give one a spot. Now he has a better understanding of who he wants because there are options. Add in the fact Bert and Larkin are without contracts and Yzermans willingness to deal, we might still see some big changes still to come.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
He signed a $800k contract, because he's a $800k player. Perfectly fine for one year as third pair while Ed and AlJo get a season in GR.

That's my position as well, but I'm interested in hearing some takes from those who have watched him and have an opinion. I mean, I'll have my own opinion formed in fairly short order here, but happy to read write-ups on him in the meantime.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's my position as well, but I'm interested in hearing some takes from those who have watched him and have an opinion. I mean, I'll have my own opinion formed in fairly short order here, but happy to read write-ups on him in the meantime.
You know me well enough at this point that I don't care if it's Hagg, AlJo, Ed, McIsaac, or Sebrango as long as I don't have to watch Oesterle, lol. He's almost as bad as Cholo, no gap control and avoids contact. Hagg is not scared of contact, that may be his only advantage but it's better than nothing.

For <$1M it was a decent signing, I'm glad it wasn't De Haan. Plus I expect Maatta to outperform his salary and play more minutes than expected. At the very minimum we're not starting the season off with Staal, DDK, and Leddy. That's a huge upgrade with or without Ed.

Also, there's already a backup plan. If Ed dominates the AHL and Hagg sucks, they'll be flipping spots by the end of the season, so there's absolutely no reason to freak out like that one guy.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Maybe, we all saw he was not necessarily ready. I think it is a good sign. They see him as more capable than 3rd pairing minutes, so they are going to build him up in the minors
Yeah, I guess I am more surprised with Berggren. At his age and after his last 2 seasons, this feels a little disrespectful.

As for Simon, I agree that it probably won't matter much. Oh well.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
You know me well enough at this point that I don't care if it's Hagg, AlJo, Ed, McIsaac, or Sebrango as long as I don't have to watch Oesterle, lol. He's almost as bad as Cholo, no gap control and avoids contact. Hagg is not scared of contact, that may be his only advantage but it's better than nothing.

For <$1M it was a decent signing, I'm glad it wasn't De Haan. Plus I expect Maatta to outperform his salary and play more minutes than expected. At the very minimum we're not starting the season off with Staal, DDK, and Leddy. That's a huge upgrade with or without Ed.

Also, there's already a backup plan. If Ed dominates the AHL and Hagg sucks, they'll be flipping spots by the end of the season, so there's absolutely no reason to freak out like that one guy.
I'm not as vocal as you, but I also can't stand Oesterle. He throws pucks away. He gets possession in his own end... or sometimes not even possession, the puck just comes to him... and he dishes it off to.... anywhere. Blindly. Literally could be going anywhere. Sometimes back the other way where there's no one to pick it up, sometimes just straight up to the point where there's a waiting forechecker, sometimes up the middle into 3 other players. When Oesterle is being forechecked and the puck comes to him.... I'm gripping my armrests.

It's the one thing I can't stand in a defensememan. Low panic threshold. A guy who can't get the puck, stay calm, make a move if necessary, and get that possession going the other way.

Reactions: Dtybur and golffuul

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Yeah, I guess I am more surprised with Berggren. At his age and after his last 2 seasons, this feels a little disrespectful.

As for Simon, I agree that it probably won't matter much. Oh well.
Yea I won't lie I was excited for Berggren to make it. Several people have mentioned that there is likely going to be a roster shake up in our top 6-9 during of after this year. I'm still pulling for him to take advantage of that opportunity

Reactions: Realgud

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

There was the earlier Yzerman talk, how he likes to give bigger role for the final D spot, and Hägg is more ideal to play those small minutes, without special teams job, than putting a developing guy there.

I think all our 5 defencemen before Hägg are ok on the PK and power-play is destined for Seider and Hronek. Those special teams are pretty much set.

So it's tough to give big role for Edvinsson nowhere else than at GR, kind of understand the move. At GR they can give 1st PP for Johansson and 1st PK for Edvinsson and go from there.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Edvinsson only has 68 games of pro hockey. The idea that he can’t learn in the ahl is batshit

He has 90 games of pro hockey + NHL preseason.

Is Lashoff gonna be 1LD? If Edvinsson is 2LD then I wouldn't expect him to play "big" (20+) mins.

If I remember right, Lashoff played right side with Johansson at training camp. Could be anything. Maybe a 3rd pair defenceman.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Re. Berggren: If you can't beat Adam F*cking Erne for a spot on the team, then have fun at Grand Rapids. If next year he still can't beat Erne or Kasper for a spot...who needs him?

I'm not disappointed in the front office for sending Berggren down; I'm disappointed in Berggren, for not beating out puds like Erne and Veleno for a spot. I'm sick of watching both of those two turds. I was told by some of you guys that Berggren was the Second Coming of Gustav Nyquist, and instead we got the second coming of Joakim Andersson. Wrong Swede, guys.
Pretty sure Nyquist didn't become an NHL regular until he was 24. Berggren is 22.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Man, you guys are all riled up. I'm not. I'm happy with the roster.

Re. Edvinsson: he's only a kid. Why rush him? It's not like he was going to win the Calder. Let him play first-pairing minutes in Grand Rapids and maybe next year he'll threaten for the Calder. Or: If he sets the AHL on fire, bring him up, send some pud down.

Unless we're winning games with those puds. Then keep the puds in place. It's like we get two bites at the apple this way.

Re. Berggren: If you can't beat Adam F*cking Erne for a spot on the team, then have fun at Grand Rapids. If next year he still can't beat Erne or Kasper for a spot...who needs him?

I'm not disappointed in the front office for sending Berggren down; I'm disappointed in Berggren, for not beating out puds like Erne and Veleno for a spot. I'm sick of watching both of those two turds. I was told by some of you guys that Berggren was the Second Coming of Gustav Nyquist, and instead we got the second coming of Joakim Andersson. Wrong Swede, guys.

Holy crap, look at our roster. We're going to be rolling 4 lines that might score a goal every once in a while, and a pretty solid blue line. I'm a little worried about goalie, hopefully they keep Okinawa's phone number handy, wherever he ends up. Toledo maybe? Hopefully he's not just waived and picked up by another team.
Okinawa?

Also, you do know that Veleno was drafted ahead of Berggren? Just a couple of spots but still. Veleno has played nothing but his rookie season and you're already "sick" of him? What's wrong with you?:laugh:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Virtually no puck skills/IQ so constantly hemmed in his own zone. But hitzzz. Think poor man’s Ristolainen.
I like AJo a lot so I’m rooting for him to get a call up

Reactions: jaster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Hägg is better than Osterle, but closest comparable is Andreas Lilja.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
What more does Berggren need to do, far out.
Imo, Filip Zadina is blocking his path. Maybe by the TDL we'll get a better feel for Zadina(at least the staff) and Berggren can continue to just play well and force his way above Zadina on the depth chart.

Griffins will be a good/fun team to watch this year. The Toledo Walleyes might even be entertaining which is nice for me because I live closer to Toledo than Grand Rapids.

Between Michigan/Michigan State/Notre Dame/Farris St/Flint Firebirds/Griffins/Walleyes/Saginaw Spirit/Sarnia Sting and Windsor Spitfires there are quite a few teams to scout within a few hours drive for me! Lots of good hockey in the State.

Reactions: golffuul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad