Recalled/Assigned: Edvinsson, Berggren & others sent to GR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'm surprised with the Edvinsson decision to be honest.

The Berggren decision however was expected after the # of new additions made by SY this summer and the decision to not make any trades to move anybody out at the same time.

We will know soon enough what the right call was

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm certain I've watched an NHL game that has had Robert Hagg play in it, but I honestly can't recall noticing him, or thinking about him one way or the other. What's the biggest frustration? A good-skating defensive defenseman who can move the puck and chip in some physical play sounds great on the surface. But a player like that with no warts is a top-4 defenseman, and Hagg is obviously not a top-4 guy, so I'm sure there'll be some headaches with his game.
Given his style of play that's highly unlikely. Hagg is a big and volume hitter, averaging almost 3 per game over his NHL career.
Hagg hits like a truck:

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Best for what exactly? Learn how to defend in the AHL? That's like learning how to bat in triple-A. Fat lot of good that does you against MLB pitching.
Hell, maybe if he has a good AHL season he can play for Rogle next year.

I think he's ready. I think he was clearly among our tops 6 defensemen and probably among our top four.
However, I don't think starting this season in the AHL is going to break him, just like Mo playing g a season of SHL hockey didn't derail him.
We all know he'll be a regular in Detroit at some point this season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hell, maybe if he has a good AHL season he can play for Rogle next year.

I think he's ready. I think he was clearly among our tops 6 defensemen and probably among our top four.
However, I don't think starting this season in the AHL is going to break him, just like Mo playing g a season of SHL hockey didn't derail him.
We all know he'll be a regular in Detroit at some point this season.
It's not going to break him. But it's needlessly delaying putting our best roster out on the ice.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some fictive comparison how next season could go.

1. Dylan Larkin played 71 games, and had some injuries and issues - will complete full 82 games at this season.
2. Lucas Raymond was able to play 82 games last year - will have some injury and will play 61 games at next season.
3. Tyler Bertuzzi played 68 games, will be able to play 78 games this year, when there's no vaccine restrictions.
----------- So our Top line guys complete same amount of games.

4. David Perron is able to play 56 games at next season, same as Robby Fabbri at last season.
5. Andrew Copp will complete 82 games at next season, same as Pius Suter last season
6. Jakub Vrana will be able to play 60 games at next season, same as Vlad Namestnikov at last season.
------- So our 2nd line guys will complete same amount of games.

7. Michael Rasmussen will complete same 80 games at this season, as last season
8. Dominik Kubalik will complete 81 games, same as Sam Gagner did at last season.
9. Filip Zadina did 74 games as last season. He'll get traded after 54 games, and Jonatan Berggren will get called up for 20 games.
10. Our middle6 depth Robby Fabbri will complete 26 games at later part of the season, same as Jakub Vrana did last year. He'll fill some injury holes at top 1-2-3 lines.

11. Oscar Sundqvist will play 71 games, all what Sundqvist 18 + Rowney 27 + Stephens 26 = 71 played combined at last season.
12. Suter will play same 79 games as Adam Erne did at last season.

13. Elmer Söderblom will play same amount of games as Hirose/Criscuolo/Barber/Elson/Pearson/Gem.Smith scrubs did at last year: 15+6+4+3+3+2 = 33 games. Will be sent back to Griffins at some point of the year, but called back later.

14. Joe Veleno will complete 66 games, same as last season.
15. Adam Erne will complete 46 games, same as Givani Smith did at last season. Will get traded at february, before Fabbri return.
16. Berggren, 20 games after Zadina trade.

So, 16 forwards will show up, some will be injured, some will get traded.

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
but but but everyone said he would make the team

im not surprised. im more excited about soderbolm honestly. i think he was most impressive. edvinsson looks good for next year. he needs more experience and more confidence. ahl should do him good.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm not as vocal as you, but I also can't stand Oesterle. He throws pucks away. He gets possession in his own end... or sometimes not even possession, the puck just comes to him... and he dishes it off to.... anywhere. Blindly. Literally could be going anywhere. Sometimes back the other way where there's no one to pick it up, sometimes just straight up to the point where there's a waiting forechecker, sometimes up the middle into 3 other players. When Oesterle is being forechecked and the puck comes to him.... I'm gripping my armrests.

It's the one thing I can't stand in a defensememan. Low panic threshold. A guy who can't get the puck, stay calm, make a move if necessary, and get that possession going the other way.
Remember last year when I said Oesterle was a liability with the puck and it was either you or Ogee that gave me shit with a sarcastic response, lol.

I'm not sure Hagg is gonna be that much better but at least the panic threshold is a bit higher because he's not as worried about getting hit. Soft players panic easily and leave too much time and space on D. There isn't much to like about Oesterle's game aside from having a decent slapper when he decides to use it. 2 goals in 45 games isn't a reason to put an AHLer in a NHL game. (They were both nice goals though, I remember both, not often Zadina actually decides to go outside and around the net for a great feed.)

but but but everyone said he would make the team

im not surprised. im more excited about soderbolm honestly. i think he was most impressive. edvinsson looks good for next year. he needs more experience and more confidence. ahl should do him good.
Not everyone. I said asking Ed to acclimate to the NHL in 8 preseason games was a bit much to ask. He looked better, but enough mistakes where Stevie decided to send him down.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Pretty sure Nyquist didn't become an NHL regular until he was 24. Berggren is 22.

I get the feeling that Lalonde is a bit old school and like his player to be "realgud" and tough to play against. Veleno is Lalonde's Helm, Elmer is his Abby, and Berggy is Tatar/Nyquist who gets overripened because he's soft. He also doesn't seem to like Suter much.

Note: Player comparisons are because of role, I'm not saying Joey is as good as Helmer was. Not a skill/talent level comparison.

I don't think it was the mistakes.

It was the missing role.
Both, and probably a lot of stuff we don't know about like how he did in practice or the weight room/conditioning.

They don't make decisions on just one factor.

Just because you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong, lol.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
So for those who typically follow these sorts of details more than I do. When are we roughly expecting to see the final roster?

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Some fictive comparison how next season could go.

1. Dylan Larkin played 71 games, and had some injuries and issues - will complete full 82 games at this season.
2. Lucas Raymond was able to play 82 games last year - will have some injury and will play 61 games at next season.
3. Tyler Bertuzzi played 68 games, will be able to play 78 games this year, when there's no vaccine restrictions.
----------- So our Top line guys complete same amount of games.

4. David Perron is able to play 56 games at next season, same as Robby Fabbri at last season.
5. Andrew Copp will complete 82 games at next season, same as Pius Suter last season
6. Jakub Vrana will be able to play 60 games at next season, same as Vlad Namestnikov at last season.
------- So our 2nd line guys will complete same amount of games.

7. Michael Rasmussen will complete same 80 games at this season, as last season
8. Dominik Kubalik will complete 81 games, same as Sam Gagner did at last season.
9. Filip Zadina did 74 games as last season. He'll get traded after 54 games, and Jonatan Berggren will get called up for 20 games.
10. Our middle6 depth Robby Fabbri will complete 26 games at later part of the season, same as Jakub Vrana did last year. He'll fill some injury holes at top 1-2-3 lines.

11. Oscar Sundqvist will play 71 games, all what Sundqvist 18 + Rowney 27 + Stephens 26 = 71 played combined at last season.
12. Suter will play same 79 games as Adam Erne did at last season.

13. Elmer Söderblom will play same amount of games as Hirose/Criscuolo/Barber/Elson/Pearson/Gem.Smith scrubs did at last year: 15+6+4+3+3+2 = 33 games. Will be sent back to Griffins at some point of the year, but called back later.

14. Joe Veleno will complete 66 games, same as last season.
15. Adam Erne will complete 46 games, same as Givani Smith did at last season. Will get traded at february, before Fabbri return.
16. Berggren, 20 games after Zadina trade.

So, 16 forwards will show up, some will be injured, some will get traded.
Man, you have quite an imagination.

It's not interesting or anything. Predicting how many games players will play seems a little out there.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Given his style of play that's highly unlikely. Hagg is a big and volume hitter, averaging almost 3 per game over his NHL career.
Hagg hits like a truck:

Maybe it's because he was on the Flyers, but I've always thought a lot of his hits were borderline dirty if not completely dirty. The one you posted was a bit unfortunate because there's no way he could have anticipated Tavarres losing his edge, but here's a clear boarding:

Now that he's playing for the Wings, expect a few penalties. Same for Chia-rot.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe it's because he was on the Flyers, but I've always thought a lot of his hits were borderline dirty if not completely dirty. The one you posted was a bit unfortunate because there's no way he could have anticipated Tavarres losing his edge, but here's a clear boarding:

I don't think so. Hagg is a hard hitter but he's not dirty. He went easy on Tavares there. Could have ended him badly if he wanted to but he clearly held back once he saw Tavares going down in order to avoid head contact.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think so. Hagg is a hard hitter but he's not dirty. He went easy on Tavares there. Could have ended him badly if he wanted to but he clearly held back once he saw Tavares going down in order to avoid head contact.
Well you don't hit a guy that's already falling down. I gave him some slack on that because it happened too fast for him to anticipate it.

Watch the video I posted, clear boarding. Being a long time Caps fan, I always think every Flyers player is dirty though. Same with Pens.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ted Kulfan, Just said that Filip Zadina took a hard shot to his right skate. And hobbled to the dressing room. If he misses time perhaps that's good news for Jonatan Berggren.
Well that sucks. Sink or swim, I wanted Zadina to get a fair chance.

I don't see them calling up anybody unless Zadina goes on LTIR, but if they need a warm body for the press box it'll probably be someone like Hirose or Kampfer. Starting lineup for the first game is probably set in Lalonde's mind.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

More like the guy is just an unathletic goober and accidentally rocks guys sometimes

Well you don't hit a guy that's already falling down. I gave him some slack on that because it happened too fast for him to anticipate it.

Watch the video I posted, clear boarding. Being a long time Caps fan, I always think every Flyers player is dirty though. Same with Pens.
Flyers have been charmin soft for a decade bro.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
This is the right move with Edvinsson. I think people are forgetting he doesn’t have a lot of pro experience and needs to polish out his game. Seider had 3 years of pro hockey before making the NHL while Edvinsson only has 1. He clearly has tons of talent but also makes tons of mistakes and needs to clean those up. He threw the puck away quite often under the speed/pressure of NHL fore checkers.

I’m ecstatic about Soderblom too, I’ve been rooting for him hard all training camp/preseason. He was turning heads everywhere he went. Can’t wait for the season to begin!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
More like the guy is just an unathletic goober and accidentally rocks guys sometimes

Flyers have been charmin soft for a decade bro.
Who really cares? We all know Hagg is just a placeholder for prospects.

As for the Flyers being soft, the Wings were probably the softest team in the league the past few years. Teams were taking cheap shots at Larkin at will. Also look at the D: DDK, Cholo, Hronek, Leddy, Lindstrom, Esterle, Juolevi, Stecher, Djoos, Biega, etc. That's not 10 ply, that's a Charmin factory.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Easy fix to that, is to you know... give them ice time. Berggren kind of makes sense since we have a million middle six forwards. But any defensive shift that isn't occupied by Seider and Chiarot can very easily be given to Edvinsson + whoever without looking any worse than whatever other combination we'd throw out there anyway.

Even if it's just 3rd pairing minutes, that ice time at NHL pace is more value to his growth and development than double that at AHL pace. Edvinsson doesn't need a bunch of minutes playing slow hockey. That's not even mentioning the off-ice learning being on an NHL bench and in an NHL lockerroom and taking part in NHL practices. Who is he going to look to and learn from in the AHL? Lashoff? Kampfer?

Playing time is a bullshit reason to justify protecting Oesterle or Hagg from waivers. I'm sick of coach speak. Lalonde started out so good in the offseason and training camp saying all the right things, but push comes to shove it's cliches and 5-10 year vets that aren't better than kids getting the nod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad