Recalled/Assigned: Edvinsson, Berggren & others sent to GR

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I think Edvinsson will learn in the AHL playing big minutes. But what I'd like to know is what Sebrango is going to learn playing on the 3rd pair down there. And Viro. And McIsaac...
Is Lashoff gonna be 1LD? If Edvinsson is 2LD then I wouldn't expect him to play "big" (20+) mins.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Man, you guys are all riled up. I'm not. I'm happy with the roster.

Re. Edvinsson: he's only a kid. Why rush him? It's not like he was going to win the Calder. Let him play first-pairing minutes in Grand Rapids and maybe next year he'll threaten for the Calder. Or: If he sets the AHL on fire, bring him up, send some pud down.

Unless we're winning games with those puds. Then keep the puds in place. It's like we get two bites at the apple this way.

Re. Berggren: If you can't beat Adam F*cking Erne for a spot on the team, then have fun at Grand Rapids. If next year he still can't beat Erne or Kasper for a spot...who needs him?

I'm not disappointed in the front office for sending Berggren down; I'm disappointed in Berggren, for not beating out puds like Erne and Veleno for a spot. I'm sick of watching both of those two turds. I was told by some of you guys that Berggren was the Second Coming of Gustav Nyquist, and instead we got the second coming of Joakim Andersson. Wrong Swede, guys.

Holy crap, look at our roster. We're going to be rolling 4 lines that might score a goal every once in a while, and a pretty solid blue line. I'm a little worried about goalie, hopefully they keep Okinawa's phone number handy, wherever he ends up. Toledo maybe? Hopefully he's not just waived and picked up by another team.

Reactions: r0bert8841

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Man, you guys are all riled up. I'm not. I'm happy with the roster.

Re. Edvinsson: he's only a kid. Why rush him? It's not like he was going to win the Calder. Let him play first-pairing minutes in Grand Rapids and maybe next year he'll threaten for the Calder. Or: If he sets the AHL on fire, bring him up, send some pud down.

Unless we're winning games with those puds. Then keep the puds in place. It's like we get two bites at the apple this way.

Re. Berggren: If you can't beat Adam F*cking Erne for a spot on the team, then have fun at Grand Rapids. If next year he still can't beat Erne or Kasper for a spot...who needs him?

I'm not disappointed in the front office for sending Berggren down; I'm disappointed in Berggren, for not beating out puds like Erne and Veleno for a spot. I'm sick of watching both of those two turds. I was told by some of you guys that Berggren was the Second Coming of Gustav Nyquist, and instead we got the second coming of Joakim Andersson. Wrong Swede, guys.

Holy crap, look at our roster. We're going to be rolling 4 lines that might score a goal every once in a while, and a pretty solid blue line. I'm a little worried about goalie, hopefully they keep Okinawa's phone number handy, wherever he ends up. Toledo maybe? Hopefully he's not just waived and picked up by another team.

I agree on Edvinsson

Berggren wasn't competing for a spot against Erne or Veleno... He is not a 4th line player. He would either needed injuries within the top 9 or beat out Zadina or Kubalik. Pretty tough task, those are some pretty good 3rd line NHL players.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's not that it's the end of the world. It's that it just doesn't make sense to me, which irritates me.
Well, looking at your join date it appears you're not a kid. If you don't get it by now, you'll never get it.

Stevie is looking beyond this season, and there is absolutely no reason to rush the kid. If he dominates the AHL so badly that Stevie thinks it's a dead end then he'll trade Hagg or Oesterle and make room for Ed midseason.

What you don't want to do is to handcuff yourself by putting the kid on the NHL roster then having to demote him like what happened with Cholo. "Confidence" is an overused word here, but demoting a kid midseason is the easiest way to ruin confidence. Start low and build up, not the other way around. To most that's obvious.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lashoff. LOL.
It's good to have a seasoned vet around for the kids. I have no idea why they signed Kampfer, 34 YO KHL vet for $300k, and now he's going to wind up taking ice time away from the kids.

If they needed more veteran presence they could've just sent Oesterle down. He's 30 and from Dearborn Heights, I'm sure he'll stick with GR if he can't find another NHL job.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Well, looking at your join date it appears you're not a kid. If you don't get it by now, you'll never get it.

Stevie is looking beyond this season, and there is absolutely no reason to rush the kid. If he dominates the AHL so badly that Stevie thinks it's a dead end then he'll trade Hagg or Oesterle and make room for Ed midseason.

What you don't want to do is to handcuff yourself by putting the kid on the NHL roster then having to demote him like what happened with Cholo. "Confidence" is an overused word here, but demoting a kid midseason is the easiest way to ruin confidence. Start low and build up, not the other way around. To most that's obvious.
It's not that I don't get it. It's that the it doesn't make sense.

Stevie is looking beyond the season. That's fine. In what world is securing Oesterle and Hagg looking towards the future?

How is playing a kid at the level that might challenge him rushing him? That's literally how you learn and develop. You push yourself.

Given what we've seen in preseason, Simon is nowhere near the point where he'd have to get sent down to save himself and/or the team from an implosion. There is nothing in his past or what we've seen since he came over that would lead me to believe that's even remotely a possibility. He is perfectly capable of playing 15min a night on a bottom third team. If EVERY game this year is what he did in preseason and there is zero improvement beyond that? he's still fine and no worse than what will be our 3rd pairing anyway.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
When looking to help Edvinsson and Berggren you have to see their role. Is getting them 7 min a night in tbe nhl worth it? As others have mentioned, why not let them be leaders and play 22 min in the AHL, practice special teams etc.

Being on the fourth line doesnt fit Berggren. Edvinsson needs to work on decision making. Talent is there for both to be full time nhl players. The just need the reps.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It seems like a lot of people are forgetting that Seider played a season in the AHL too…
When he was 18. And I thought we weren't supposed to compare Simon to Mo since they were different players with different development curves? Why is playing in the AHL the one thing where they have to be the same?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Edvinsson only has 68 games of pro hockey. The idea that he can’t learn in the ahl is batshit
80 (if you're not counting this preseason) but who's counting? Apart from you, but apparently not very well.

And the idea is that there's nothing for him to learn in the AHL that he can't learn (better) in the NHL.

(playoffs and relegation games count)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You think that Edvinsson is close enough that he can just finish the learning curve in the NHL.

Others don't.

It's just that simple.
That's fine.

But everyone and their brother has been saying "Don't compare Simon to Mo. They aren't the same. Mo's a freak, etc..." which I whole-heartedly agree with. But then many of these same people (posters here or otherwise) almost immediately toss out "Don't forget, Mo spent a year in the AHL too." It's the hypocrisy that's galling.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's fine.

But everyone and their brother has been saying "Don't compare Simon to Mo. They aren't the same. Mo's a freak, etc..." which I whole-heartedly agree with. But then many of these same people (posters here or otherwise) almost immediately toss out "Don't forget, Mo spent a year in the AHL too." It's the hypocrisy that's galling.
They're saying Mo is a Calder winner and he needed time in GR, so Ed does too. Unless you think Ed is even better than Mo.....

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the logic.

BTW, I always tell people if you disagree with 90% of the people, then you're either a genius or a moron.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
And the SHL and KHL are in the eastern hemisphere.

the North and East hemisphere?

sounds scary no wonder they want to get to the AHL

When he was 18. And I thought we weren't supposed to compare Simon to Mo since they were different players with different development curves? Why is playing in the AHL the one thing where they have to be the same?

we should send Edvinsson over to Germany for a year too

just to be safe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
They're saying Mo is a Calder winner and he needed time in GR, so Ed does too. Unless you think Ed is even better than Mo.....

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the logic.

BTW, I always tell people if you disagree with 90% of the people, then you're either a genius or a moron.
Do I think Simon Edvinsson at 19 coming out of the SHL is more prepared for the NHL than an 18 year-old Moritz Seider coming out of the DEL? Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad