Player Discussion Elias Lindholm

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Can’t complain about signing the best available centre. Good on the dot. Clutch player. Probably going to be a very good player for Boston. This was the fish I wanted.

Reactions: vjcsmoke

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
What an impact upgrade to the team!

I think this is a match made in hockey heaven for the team and for Lindholm/Zadorov.
Welcome to Boston, Elias!

This is a guy we've all been looking at as a future Bruin and it happened without having to give up draft capital.

The good news is that Lindholm and Zadarov already have chemistry together and both joked they might end up on the same team. Well it's happening!!

1719875411695.png

Reactions: Kegs

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I think the Backes signing has traumatized me about 30 something year old players. 7 years, wow.🎲🎱
Sorry to insert facts into your narrative but Backes was already 32 years old when he signed his Bruins contract. He was on his last set of tires. It was a bad deal from the start.

Meanwhile Lindholm is age 29 as of the date of this contract. He's in his physical prime.

That makes a HUGE difference!

Edit: Fixed it so fact checkers can rest at ease now.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Sorry to insert facts into your narrative but Backes was already 36 years old when he signed his Bruins contract. He was on his last set of tires.

Meanwhile Lindholm is age 29 as of the date of this contract. He's in his physical prime.

HUGE difference!
Sorry to insert facts into your narrative but Backes was 32 years and two (2) months old when he signed his Bruins contract.

Reactions: DKH and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sorry to insert facts into your narrative but Backes was already 36 years old when he signed his Bruins contract. He was on his last set of tires. It was a bad deal from the start.

That makes a HUGE difference!

Sorry to insert facts into your narrative but Backes was 32 years and two (2) months old when he signed his Bruins contract.

And a player's physical prime is 24 through 28.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think playing style matters when looking at signing guys long term- I expect Lindholm to have more mileage than a much more physical player like Backes had

Zadorov has unique reach you can’t teach. That usually lasts awhile too. See Hal Gill

Lindholm had 64 points with Toffoli as the best winger on the team in 2022-2023, I bet we get him back to 70+ points this year riding next to Pasta

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
His offense never clicked for us, but he was used more as a 3C in Vancouver. We tried using him on Petterrson's wing, but it just didn't work.

He scored some massive goals for us, he's amazing at faceoffs, but I always felt his defensive game was his best quality. He was routinely matched up against the opposing teams best players, and he never looked out of place.

Offensively he knows where to be and he has a deceptively good shot! I can't say much, because it honestly just felt like he never meshed with our players.
"Amazing at faceoffs" is good, they needed help with that this year

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Lindholm is a great positional player. So many instances last year especially in the playoffs guys were never in the right spot for the puck to find them to get that lucky goal. Lindholm is always in the right spot and pucks seem to find him even when he isn’t part of the play. I think he could be just what the doctor ordered to help push the B’s to the next step.

Ideally after next season he slots to 2C with Drai as 1C (way to much has to go right to plan on this in reality) but he is still much more serviceable in a top 6 C role than Coyle or Zacha.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BTO

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
"Amazing at faceoffs" is good, they needed help with that this year

He’s excellent on the draw - and as a right handed that’s even more key - top notch defensively, and surprisingly gritty and physical. He had a poor regular season, apparently battled an injury, and then came to life in the playoffs and was one of our better players.

If he can maintain that level for a few seasons, you’ll have a gem. He played his best when the games counted most.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Tell that to Marchand
Of course there are outliers / edge cases. When people talk about the true prime for today’s NHLers being mid to late 20s, that’s based on statistical data. It’s true for most players. Of course it tails out with some players’ primes being later and some sooner.

Based on statistical data, you don’t really want to see your team sign a player to a long term deal bringing him into his mid 30s. Lindholm will be 37 most of that last year (Dec 2nd bday). Statistically, his play is most likely to regress each year of this deal at a near $8M cap hit.

Reactions: Bong Whisperer

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Of course there are outliers / edge cases. When people talk about the true prime for today’s NHLers being mid to late 20s, that’s based on statistical data. It’s true for most players. Of course it tails out with some players’ primes being later and some sooner.

Based on statistical data, you don’t really want to see your team sign a player to a long term deal bringing him into his mid 30s. Lindholm will be 37 most of that last year (Dec 2nd bday). Statistically, his play is most likely to regress each year of this deal at a near $8M cap hit.
I don't think that's right.

Year 1-29
Year 2-30
Year 3-31
Year 4-32
Year 5-33
Year 6-34
Year 7-35

He turns 36 during that last season.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
His deal will suck near the end, but with a lack of centre depth, this is a deal you have to make.
He makes the team better now and probably for 3-5 years.

Suddenly our centre depth isn't terrible

Lindholm
Zacha
Coyle

With Poitras with top-six potential. It would make me happy if Poitras made Zacha or Coyle expendable for a winger next year.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Excellent pickup. Have to give Sweeney the props for stepping up to plate and dropping the cash to get a big name free agent. Hope that this gives the Bruins the depth they need down the middle while the younger/greener forwards like Poitras, Brazeau, McLaughlin, Lauko, and Beecher develop and gives guys like Letourneau more time to sharpen their skills in the minors. The Bruins finally have an actual plan it seems when it comes to the roster now.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Not an overpay by any means, actually under the market rate for a high end 2c right now and the cap is going up. Very excited about this one, hell fit like a glove on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad