Value of: Edmonton has a few needs to become a true contender .

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Because someone would send Edmonton a good “win now” player for him.

holloway is Edmonton’s best realistic trade chip. Much better than #2 on the list above.

My personal view given our cap situation now and the foreseeable future is this:

Near term ELC guys that can contribute in the next 2-3 years > win now additions >>> all of our picks >> all other prospects.

Which is to say we have three more years after this one with McDavid and Draisaitl. This year (realistically) is slightly less important than the three years after it. I would mortgage the future for this year while maintaining our near-term prospects for next year and beyond.

I would have our prospects ranked on how likely it is we need them (positionally) and how likely they are to fit in that 3 year window. Thus:

Holloway > Samorukov > Broberg > Bourgault >>> Savoie, Lavoie, Benson, McLeod, etc, etc, etc 1sts, 2nds, etc, etc

Start with the picks each deadline, add B-level prospects. That should be sufficient for rentals in key areas of need.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
On a serious note as much as i dont like the player Tierney would be a good fit on Edmonton considering the Centers infront of him. He has been asked to do too much in ottawa well because its ottawa but in edmonton he should be able to play a more simplified game.

Tierney at 50% for an expiring contract not named Turris and a 2023 second?

We don't have a lot of expiring contracts and it would have to be dollar in dollar out... so tough to make it work, even at 50% retention unless it were Turris.

For expiring contracts, we have:
Turris 1.65
Russell 1.25
Koskinen 4.5
and a bunch of RFA/UFA making close to league minimum (so need to be replaced at league min)

If Smith is healthy, would you take Koskinen and a 2nd? That would free up another ~$2M for us to use elsewhere.

Otherwise we'd need to trade Koskinen for a goalie making ~$2M and then come back to you with Russel + 2nd for Tierney?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
We don't have a lot of expiring contracts and it would have to be dollar in dollar out... so tough to make it work, even at 50% retention unless it were Turris.

For expiring contracts, we have:
Turris 1.65
Russell 1.25
Koskinen 4.5
and a bunch of RFA/UFA making close to league minimum (so need to be replaced at league min)

If Smith is healthy, would you take Koskinen and a 2nd? That would free up another ~$2M for us to use elsewhere.

Otherwise we'd need to trade Koskinen for a goalie making ~$2M and then come back to you with Russel + 2nd for Tierney?

I would consider Russell+2nd for Tierney. At this stage Russell might even be an upgrade on Ottawa's defense lmfao. Only reason I was saying no to turris was because he had issues with Melnyk on his way out and Turris' wife tweeted about it to so knowing melnyk it would never happen

Reactions: bucks_oil

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I would consider Russell+2nd for Tierney. At this stage Russell might even be an upgrade on Ottawa's defense lmfao. Only reason I was saying no to turris was because he had issues with Melnyk on his way out and Turris' wife tweeted about it to so knowing melnyk it would never happen

I'd sorta feel bad shipping out Russell (who has been a soldier for us) right before the playoffs, but Tierney would certainly be more useful.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I hear that Holland is trying to make a trade for Ben Chiarot.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
My personal view given our cap situation now and the foreseeable future is this:

Near term ELC guys that can contribute in the next 2-3 years > win now additions >>> all of our picks >> all other prospects.

Which is to say we have three more years after this one with McDavid and Draisaitl. This year (realistically) is slightly less important than the three years after it. I would mortgage the future for this year while maintaining our near-term prospects for next year and beyond.

I would have our prospects ranked on how likely it is we need them (positionally) and how likely they are to fit in that 3 year window. Thus:

Holloway > Samorukov > Broberg > Bourgault >>> Savoie, Lavoie, Benson, McLeod, etc, etc, etc 1sts, 2nds, etc, etc

Start with the picks each deadline, add B-level prospects. That should be sufficient for rentals in key areas of need.
As long as you’re realistic on what kind of rental that buys you, which is B level player, it’s a smart thesis. I don’t think a late first and so-so prospect would net you a Boeser. I could see it land a pending UFA rental like Rakell and it would definitely land a Chariot type.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Ben Chiarot
Tyler Toffoli
Jake Allen

for

Kris Russell
Kyle Turris
Mikko Koskinen
1st round pick
Carter Savoie
Raphael Lavoie

MTL can probably retain 50% on Chiarot to make it work cap wise this year

Please become the Habs GM so this can happen.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
As long as you’re realistic on what kind of rental that buys you, which is B level player, it’s a smart thesis. I don’t think a late first and so-so prospect would net you a Boeser. I could see it land a pending UFA rental like Rakell and it would definitely land a Chariot type.

Fair enough... but given our cap situation + top six construction, do you really think we should be spending on an A++ rental that we can't afford to keep?

I see our needs as a 3C, a 1A or 1B goalie and maybe one other shutdown D. I figure some combination of a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd and a few B+ prospects should get that done.

I certainly wouldn't trade any of our best (cheap) prospects... guys that can actually contribute next year, if not even later this year ... for a few weeks of Boeser... and I don't see us able to add a $6M winger this summer + resign Pulju, so he really would be a rental.

We'll be in a tough spot this summer. Rough numbers, but assuming Klef is still LTIR we have essentially $9.75M to spend on Pulju, Yama, replace Kosko, replace Turris, replace Russell. Yee-ouch!

Next summer we gain $5.5M from Keith and 2.5M from Lucic + Sekera... but we also lose Klefbom's $4.1M buffer on LTIR (which we are making use of already).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton's in a place where they'll have a few of their own "deadline additions" coming in.

1 forward: Holloway
1 defenceman: Broberg
1 goalie: Skinner

That might change how the team looks around and targets needs.

Reactions: Czechboy

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Edmonton's in a place where they'll have a few of their own "deadline additions" coming in.

1 forward: Holloway
1 defenceman: Broberg
1 goalie: Skinner

That might change how the team looks around and targets needs.

We certainly need for at least one of those guys to be a difference maker. It would go a long way.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Fair enough... but given our cap situation + top six construction, do you really think we should be spending on an A++ rental that we can't afford to keep?

I see our needs as a 3C, a 1A or 1B goalie and maybe one other shutdown D. I figure some combination of a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd and a few B+ prospects should get that done.

I certainly wouldn't trade any of our best (cheap) prospects... guys that can actually contribute next year, if not even later this year ... for a few weeks of Boeser... and I don't see us able to add a $6M winger this summer + resign Pulju, so he really would be a rental.

We'll be in a tough spot this summer. Rough numbers, but assuming Klef is still LTIR we have essentially $9.75M to spend on Pulju, Yama, replace Kosko, replace Turris, replace Russell. Yee-ouch!

Next summer we gain $5.5M from Keith and 2.5M from Lucic + Sekera... but we also lose Klefbom's $4.1M buffer on LTIR (which we are making use of already).

It’s risky and a strong win now move to get a Boeser or JT Miller type that will cost you a key prospect from the Broberg tier. Or the equivalent of a last season’s Danault (high end 3C) as you write. The leverage will be on the side of the seller.

same with starting G.

or Edmonton just plays on the fringes of the rental market by dangling their 2022 1st. You’d get a decent, not sure thing, 3C for that. Or get a reasonable 2G offering the 2022 1st. That 2022 1st should also get you a Chariot type. Montreal would be foolish not to jump at that.

I could see NYR jump at that for their backup G. They should anyway. Not sure it’s much of an upgrade for y’all. That Goalie need is tricky to fill. I can’t think of one off the top of my head that would be a good fit for the Oil and comes over relatively cheap. Can you?

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It’s risky and a strong win now move to get a Boeser or JT Miller type that will cost you a key prospect from the Broberg tier. Or the equivalent of a last season’s Danault (high end 3C) as you write. The leverage will be on the side of the seller.

same with starting G.

or Edmonton just plays on the fringes of the rental market by dangling their 2022 1st. You’d get a decent, not sure thing, 3C for that. Or get a reasonable 2G offering the 2022 1st. That 2022 1st should also get you a Chariot type. Montreal would be foolish not to jump at that.

I could see NYR jump at that for their backup G. They should anyway. Not sure it’s much of an upgrade for y’all. That Goalie need is tricky to fill. I can’t think of one off the top of my head that would be a good fit for the Oil and comes over relatively cheap. Can you?

Fleury is probably too expensive in salary for us to fit in without retention, but Chicago can go back to the UFA well this summer and there aren't that many teams needing a few months of a starter like Edmonton. Do you honestly think a retained Fleury requires more than a 1st, maybe with a B- prospect if we send Koskinen the other way? If they want him back in a few months, they can resign him... I don't think we can afford to anyway (and he may not want to stick in Edmonton). I like his positive attitude and think he'd be a great tandem with Smith's fire.

Otherwise, I think Edmonton needs to look at Seattle or Dallas. It should be relatively easy to pry a goalie out of either place, even for less than a 1st depending on who.

I'm not a big fan of Georgiev. I don't think he's demonstrated enough to say he's starter material. Like not even a bit.

Reactions: TFHockey

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008

same with starting G.

Before you get the goalie, make sure your team has the horse to carry you deep into the playoff. Colorado won the Cup right after they got Patrick Roy from the Habs. If you feel your team is ready for a deep playoff run, go and get elite goaltender like Fleury/Price.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Before you get the goalie, make sure your team has the horse to carry you deep into the playoff. Colorado won the Cup right after they got Patrick Roy from the Habs. If you feel your team is ready for a deep playoff run, go and get elite goaltender like Fleury/Price.

Not at the cost some Habs fans are asking. Price's age and contract make him a prohibitive choice for the Oilers. They just don't have the cap flexibility for a player of his age and term.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Dunno if Fleury and Price would still be considered elite. I'm hoping Anaheim falls off a cliff and we can get Gibson from them but they won't be selling anytime soon it looks like.

Reactions: TFHockey

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Fleury is probably too expensive in salary for us to fit in without retention, but Chicago can go back to the UFA well this summer and there aren't that many teams needing a few months of a starter like Edmonton. Do you honestly think a retained Fleury requires more than a 1st, maybe with a B- prospect if we send Koskinen the other way? If they want him back in a few months, they can resign him... I don't think we can afford to anyway (and he may not want to stick in Edmonton). I like his positive attitude and think he'd be a great tandem with Smith's fire.

Otherwise, I think Edmonton needs to look at Seattle or Dallas. It should be relatively easy to pry a goalie out of either place, even for less than a 1st depending on who.

I'm not a big fan of Georgiev. I don't think he's demonstrated enough to say he's starter material. Like not even a bit.
I think your 2022 1st and someone like Savoie gets it done. Sure. If they have to retain, add a 2023 3rd.

Reactions: bucks_oil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers don't 'NEED' anything right now other than giving Skinner, Broberg, McLeod, Benson ~40 games of NHL experience.
At the deadline they can evaluate which ones aren't ready for playoffs and add veterans accordingly

McLeod 3C
Benson 4W
Skinner 1B goalie
Broberg 3LD

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think your 2022 1st and someone like Savoie gets it done. Sure. If they have to retain, add a 2023 3rd.

a 1st and Savoie for what's left of Fleury?

That's a very, very easy pass for me. Chicago got him for nothing and since then he's been pretty mediocre. I'm sure they'll try to sell him off to the highest bidder, but at that price I hope to God we hang up.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I know you guys dont really need a RHD for the PP but a huge part of me really wants to see Dallas do bad and sell Klingberg at the deadline so the Canadian market can see him produce with offensive guys like McJesus and Drai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad