Value of: Edmonton has a few needs to become a true contender .

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I know you guys dont really need a RHD for the PP but a huge part of me really wants to see Dallas do bad and sell Klingberg at the deadline so the Canadian market can see him produce with offensive guys like McJesus and Drai

You'd need to take Barrie back for it to make any sense for us, which makes no sense for you.

The powerplay is already running as well as a powerplay can reasonably run. Both special teams are great, actually. It's 5v5 where we're middling.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
What's the deal with Dickinson this year? Production isn't there, has he been playing hurt? I'd do a 3rd for Dickinson. I'd pass on Motte.
He just hasn't played well.

Motte is actually the perfect bottom 6 forward. Ideally a 4th liner but can play on the 3rd line too. Plays with a lot of energy and tenaciousness, good defensively, good pker, and can get 20-25 points a year. His only problem is that he's slightly undersized and a little injury prone.

I think I would do a 3rd for Dick though.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Price retained is what Oilers need
yes that could put them near the top for sure . price at 40 % retained and a montreal 2nd round pick for bouchard , 2022 1st and koskinen ( cap purposes ) . you don't wanna place all the pressure on skinner . price would be a great mentor .

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
yes that could put them near the top for sure . price at 40 % retained and a montreal 2nd round pick for bouchard , 2022 1st and koskinen ( cap purposes ) . you don't wanna place all the pressure on skinner . price would be a great mentor .
The 1st would come from Habs not Oilers if Bouchard is part of the package.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

What on earth are you suggesting?! Bouchard is ~ a rookie D-man, playing 21 mins a night, on pace for 48 points and is 22 years old.

That type of player is not available for Price. Give your head a shake.

And I'm a HUGE Price fan, but you need to be realistic and this isn't in that realm.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Nope. Bouchard isn't getting dealt. Too key to the Oilers defense moving forward. Feel free to try and deal Price to another team for their best, young, cost controlled defenseman and you'll probably get a similar reaction.

Edit: counter proposal; Price at 75% retained (another team required) and Chiarot for Koskinen, Barrie and a 2nd.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Nope. Bouchard isn't getting dealt. Too key to the Oilers defense moving forward. Feel free to try and deal Price to another team for their best, young, cost controlled defenseman and you'll probably get a similar reaction.

Edit: counter proposal; Price at 75% retained (another team required) and Chiarot for Koskinen, Barrie and a 2nd.
yeah that is an even worse proposal . a world class goalie at 2.5 and a tough minute munching defenseman for a cap dump , a defensive liability and a second. price can help win you a cup but he's not coming in exchange for your unwanted players .

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
yeah that is an even worse proposal . a world class goalie at 2.5 and a tough minute munching defenseman for a cap dump , a defensive liability and a second. price can help win you a cup but he's not coming in exchange for your unwanted players .

well, it is a more fair offer from my perspective. Price definitely can steal a series in the playoffs. However he has been average in the regular season and his age, length of contract and recent stint in rehab does not add to his value. We are only a few months removed from Seattle passing on him at full contract for nothing.

Koskinen's numbers have been great this year but he isn't a starter in my book. He is a UFA at the end of the year so as a cap hit it is really short. Barrie is definitely a defensive liability. To his credit he has tried to improve that part of his game. He is an offensive puck moving RHD though, so he isn't a negative in this trade. On the contrary, signed for $4.5 Million for three more years and had 48 points in 56 games last year makes him a bargain. If you don't want him, totally cool with me.

Drop Barrie from the trade and I'd add in another pick or perhaps Lavoie.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm the Oilers I'm dealing away my guys who aren't long term needs first just for pure rentals. Guys like Savoie, Lavoie and my middle picks. I'm not dealing Broberg or Holloway who both fill team needs in the future. The Oilers have plenty of offense. They still need blueline help and 2 way middle six forwards. You can rent those without dealing your top prospects. Goaltender will be more challenging depending on what Skinner is.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If I'm the Oilers I'm dealing away my guys who aren't long term needs first just for pure rentals. Guys like Savoie, Lavoie and my middle picks. I'm not dealing Broberg or Holloway who both fill team needs in the future. The Oilers have plenty of offense. They still need blueline help and 2 way middle six forwards. You can rent those without dealing your top prospects. Goaltender will be more challenging depending on what Skinner is.

That's pretty much right from this fan's perspective.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That's pretty much right from this fan's perspective.
Might be different if a team would give say a #2 defenseman who can play against top 6 players and take a bit of my bad cap back. I'd put 1st rounders in play then. But for a middle six 2 way forward? I don't think you put a 1st in play for that.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Completely agree.

With the exception of in goal (where anyway... we really can't afford an established starter anyway until Keith, Lucic and Sekera are off the books) all of our gaps are easily addressed with middle picks and middle prospects.

In goal, the best course of action is to bide our time... search for a trade for a potential #1 trapped behind an established number one, or trade for a Driedger-type, or sign whatever the best <$4M goalie is this summer as a 1B to Skinner. That number could go up to $6M if Smith LTIRs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Price at 40% becomes someone teams might take for a late pick. Not for our top pair RD and a 1st round pick. If Montreal wants to do Price at 40% for Koskinen and a 2nd, I think a few teams listen so we would need to add something, but it wouldn't be Bouchard.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He just hasn't played well.

Motte is actually the perfect bottom 6 forward. Ideally a 4th liner but can play on the 3rd line too. Plays with a lot of energy and tenaciousness, good defensively, good pker, and can get 20-25 points a year. His only problem is that he's slightly undersized and a little injury prone.

I think I would do a 3rd for Dick though.
I'd do a 3rd and Turris for Dickinson. We would want a contract out, and Turris is on his final year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Lol you're not getting Bouchard back even if you could retain 80% on Price. Kid is an absolute no-go. Not to mention that Price is battling some demons right now and I'm not sold that his focus is 100% on hockey right now. How could it be? (This isn't a dig, but everything has to be considered when trading, especially when you're sniffing around Bouchard++, who, I stress, is *completely* unavailable.)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Bouchard is more valuable than any asset on the Habs by a wide margin.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Let's put ourselves over the top and give away pure garbage in return. Price just proved he can take a mediocre team to the finals. Are you guys trying win a cup or keep every young player and be bounced in the 1st or 2nd.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Lol you're not getting Bouchard back even if you could retain 80% on Price. Kid is an absolute no-go. Not to mention that Price is battling some demons right now and I'm not sold that his focus is 100% on hockey right now. How could it be? (This isn't a dig, but everything has to be considered when trading, especially when you're sniffing around Bouchard++, who, I stress, is *completely* unavailable.)
You don't just all sudden battle demons. Clearly he had them for many years. If anything he would be more focused coming back from recovery. Just maybe not on the Habs because of how awful they are.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fair enough... but given our cap situation + top six construction, do you really think we should be spending on an A++ rental that we can't afford to keep?

I see our needs as a 3C, a 1A or 1B goalie and maybe one other shutdown D. I figure some combination of a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd and a few B+ prospects should get that done.

I certainly wouldn't trade any of our best (cheap) prospects... guys that can actually contribute next year, if not even later this year ... for a few weeks of Boeser... and I don't see us able to add a $6M winger this summer + resign Pulju, so he really would be a rental.

We'll be in a tough spot this summer. Rough numbers, but assuming Klef is still LTIR we have essentially $9.75M to spend on Pulju, Yama, replace Kosko, replace Turris, replace Russell. Yee-ouch!

Next summer we gain $5.5M from Keith and 2.5M from Lucic + Sekera... but we also lose Klefbom's $4.1M buffer on LTIR (which we are making use of already).

Klefbom on LTIR does not help us . It lets use go over the cap by his salary . Take him away right now we are 1,000,000 under the cap instead of have 1,000,000 available in LTIR money . The difference is if Klefbom was gone at the trade deadline we could add a 4,000,000 player , LTIR money doesn't change so we can only add a 1,000,000 player .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Love Price wish he won a cup bu do not want . He is getting up there in age and had a bad injury . Pass . There nothing on Montreal that I want . Before Montreal fan have a fit . I am not saying they don't have good players . I saying their available players aren't of interest to me .

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Let's put ourselves over the top and give away pure garbage in return. Price just proved he can take a mediocre team to the finals. Are you guys trying win a cup or keep every young player and be bounced in the 1st or 2nd.

Price isn't a guarantee of a cup, and asking for Bouchard in return is absurd.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Price isn't a guarantee of a cup, and asking for Bouchard in return is absurd.
No one can guarantee a cup. Thing is there is no better option then Price to win one in next 3-4 years... Would you agree? You gotta give to get especially with the 50% retain you keep insisting about.

Reactions: Tanknation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad