Value of: Edmonton has a few needs to become a true contender .

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
You'd need to take Barrie back for it to make any sense for us, which makes no sense for you.

The powerplay is already running as well as a powerplay can reasonably run. Both special teams are great, actually. It's 5v5 where we're middling.

Which is why I said it wouldnt work. But I stand by wanting Kling being able to show his skills in a market that that isn't Dallas and a system that isnt "never let any team shoot" system.

Its a pipe dream but a man can dream

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
well, it is a more fair offer from my perspective. Price definitely can steal a series in the playoffs. However he has been average in the regular season and his age, length of contract and recent stint in rehab does not add to his value. We are only a few months removed from Seattle passing on him at full contract for nothing.

Koskinen's numbers have been great this year but he isn't a starter in my book. He is a UFA at the end of the year so as a cap hit it is really short. Barrie is definitely a defensive liability. To his credit he has tried to improve that part of his game. He is an offensive puck moving RHD though, so he isn't a negative in this trade. On the contrary, signed for $4.5 Million for three more years and had 48 points in 56 games last year makes him a bargain. If you don't want him, totally cool with me.

Drop Barrie from the trade and I'd add in another pick or perhaps Lavoie.
no you gotta give someone of substance . if it's not bouchard it's gotta be broberg and the first if your getting price at 6 million per for the next four years

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Price at 40% becomes someone teams might take for a late pick. Not for our top pair RD and a 1st round pick. If Montreal wants to do Price at 40% for Koskinen and a 2nd, I think a few teams listen so we would need to add something, but it wouldn't be Bouchard.
yeah keep dreaming

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So I assume the Oilers are still searching for a goaltender?
The defense is looking pretty weak right now with all the injuries. I guess its true when they say you can never have enough depth on defense.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Klefbom on LTIR does not help us . It lets use go over the cap by his salary . Take him away right now we are 1,000,000 under the cap instead of have 1,000,000 available in LTIR money . The difference is if Klefbom was gone at the trade deadline we could add a 4,000,000 player , LTIR money doesn't change so we can only add a 1,000,000 player .

That's not quite true. We would not be icing the lineup we have if not for Klefbom on the LTIR (and Archibald, Stalock, Smith). Cap Friendly has us at 8.65M in LTIR with only 1.075M of that remaining. You take away Klefbom from that and we would be roughly $3M over the cap even after factoring in a $4.5M in cap cushion.

You are right that our remaining LTIR cap space doesn't "bank" in the same way that real cap space does, so we don't get a multiplier effect when we take on only a pro-rated portion of a players cap hit... but that's because we are technically already over (and only compliant because of LTIR).

Edmonton Oilers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Also, RNH is more valuable than Petry at this stage in their respective careers.

That's very reasonable. If they were the same age and had the same cap hit, it might be a debate but that is not the case. RNH is younger and on a very good contract. I respect him a lot for signing that to stay with the Oilers. Good man in my books and he didn't go after a max deal that would put a target on him and he still ends up a multi millionaire. I wish more players would do this cause greed hurts teams salary cap and at the end of the day, 50% of total revenue goes to the players. Leave room for your team to add improvements in the salary cap.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That's very reasonable. If they were the same age and had the same cap hit, it might be a debate but that is not the case. RNH is younger and on a very good contract. I respect him a lot for signing that to stay with the Oilers. Good man in my books and he didn't go after a max deal that would put a target on him and he still ends up a multi millionaire. I wish more players would do this cause greed hurts teams salary cap and at the end of the day, 50% of total revenue goes to the players. Leave room for your team to add improvements in the salary cap.

It is rare but when it happens you're right, it deserves special mention.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
no you gotta give someone of substance . if it's not bouchard it's gotta be broberg and the first if your getting price at 6 million per for the next four years

There is not chance Price lands either of these guys. I think you're shooting too high here. If that is the ask, Price isn't coming to Edmonton.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Dunno if Fleury and Price would still be considered elite. I'm hoping Anaheim falls off a cliff and we can get Gibson from them but they won't be selling anytime soon it looks like.
Price was the main reason the Habs get to the Final last year. Fleury also did pretty well in the playoff last year too.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Price was the main reason the Habs get to the Final last year. Fleury also did pretty well in the playoff last year too.

I would still take either of Price or Fleury in a heartbeat, but the asking price needs to be commensurate with their residual value (great players, not many years left).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So I assume the Oilers are still searching for a goaltender?
The defense is looking pretty weak right now with all the injuries. I guess its true when they say you can never have enough depth on defense.

Yeah our #1 LD is the guy who was our AHL #1 LD a week ago now. Great stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad