Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Would have hoped we got a little more, but the reality is it was going to be really hard for the kid to make the team and play. He's waiver eligible so I'm guessing they thought there was a real possibility they'd end up losing him for free. Canucks also clear 250K in cap roughly over a league minimum guy. Their current plan is to put Poolman on regular IR instead of LTIR so they can accrue cap space. 250K in space could end up being close to a million by the deadline.

For the Oilers - Pods does hit a lot and can play average NHL defense. Decent shot too, just never gets it off. No doubt there's still 3rd line upside there, and if the plan is to ditch Holloway, they'll be able to replace some of the energy and youth they'll lose in their bottom six.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Well, he couldn't break into the Canucks line-up last year and they had a winger shortage. He's not an NHL player until further notice, but sure I guess he could become a partially serviceable 4th liner.

Oilers will have an open spot in the bottom 6 until Kane's back from LTIR if they don't match Holloway. Sounds like he can fill that role according to Vancouver fans.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I agree. Match Broberg-Holloway is a pass-Kane on litr- you are within a million - somebody gets waived at the million level

Option to match Holloway and trade? I think they could get a 2nd plus a prospect. Can you accept and trade?
Nope. He can’t be traded for a year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Why help out the Oilers though. I would have preferred to lose him on waivers or ship him for a 7th to some team out East if I was a canuck fan.

I mean the chance is very small at htis point but it would be hillarious if he becomes na impactful nhl player in Edmonton, I would like to see it happen and not much of an oiler fan.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The biggest callout here is VAN cutting ties with a high end pick. That says more about them than EDM.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He’s an absolute bust is he not? Can barely produce anything in the AHL? Was like 7th on the team in scoring. Has been abysmal in the NHL. However a 4th is peanuts so whatever.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Oilers will have an open spot in the bottom 6 until Kane's back from LTIR if they don't match Holloway. Sounds like he can fill that role according to Vancouver fans.

He can probably play a 4th line winger role relatively non-offensively in a pinch. I wouldn't expect much from him. He was getting jumped for NHL ice time by some pretty underwhelming players for bottom six roles last season. But maybe a change of scenery will help.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
it was either lose him to waivers when training camp starts. pods wasnt gonna be anything more than a middle 6 guy. he would have to have an amazing camp to beat out pdg,sherwood and the other signees

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Why help out the Oilers though. I would have preferred to lose him on waivers or ship him for a 7th to some team out East if I was a canuck fan.

I mean the chance is very small at htis point but it would be hillarious if he becomes na impactful nhl player in Edmonton, I would like to see it happen and not much of an oiler fan.
How is this helping the Oilers? Canucks got a 4th instead of losing him for nothing in waivers. Canuck fans seem more disappointed at the missed pick than the actual player.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

I mean the chance is very small at htis point but it would be hillarious if he becomes na impactful nhl player in Edmonton, I would like to swsee it happen and not much of an oiler fan.
Pod doesn't really help anything, canucks mgmt just taking the best asset available.
He's never going to be an impact player or move the needle at all, tools without the Milwaukee packout set.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I agree. Match Broberg-Holloway is a pass-Kane on litr- you are within a million - somebody gets waived at the million level

Option to match Holloway and trade? I think they could get a 2nd plus a prospect. Can you accept and trade?
Can’t trade a player for a year after signing an offer sheet

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
He’s an absolute bust is he not? Can barely produce anything in the AHL? Was like 7th on the team in scoring. Has been abysmal in the NHL. However a 4th is peanuts so whatever.
Podkolzin scored 46 points in 72 AHL games over the last 2 seasons, enough to earn routine call ups back to the NHL.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
How is his skating Canucks fans?
Skating is below average, can show glimpses of being a good power forward but he reads the game a step or two behind. Small chance he can be a late late bloomer and put it all together though, unfortunate to see him go.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

It's not helping the Oilers, it's probably damning them

They get a 4th for a guy who had no value that they would have lost to waivers in a month

They get Edmonton to move on from Holloway giving them space to sign Broberg to that terrible deal, which can open up Bouchard to an OS next year while also having to sign Draisaitl (12 million will probably be 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd next year)

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
it was either lose him to waivers when training camp starts. pods wasnt gonna be anything more than a middle 6 guy. he would have to have an amazing camp to beat out pdg,sherwood and the other signees

Should probably give him that shot in camp at least then. You don’t give up on him to keep a replacement level player like PDG. This was a dumb trade

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Has Vancouver decided this 23 year old 1st rnd 10th overall pick a bust?

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
It’s a pretty damning indictment on the player that Vancouver was willing to trade him to their most prominent divisional rival this year. They were clearly low on him.

Classic all tools, no toolbox player. He’s flamed out under several coaches now: Green, Boudreau, Colliton, and Tocchet.
I think it’s the complete opposite. Very little in way of tools. Doesn’t have very good hands or dangles, no deception with his shot at all.

He has to get by being a tough to play against, straight line player. Hockey IQ is good, but slow skating does not allow him to get to where he wants to go. Not the biggest guy, but will always show effort and willing to throw the body.

Good character person, but I never saw what scouts saw to rank him so highly. I wanted Caufield.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Has Vancouver decided this 23 year old 1st rnd 10th overall pick a bust?

Basically, yes. They've replaced him with free agent depth and other developments. He is a fringe 4th liner that's demonstrated no NHL offense recently. He will not overly hurt you in 4th-line minutes, but he isn't great defensively and doesn't play on special teams. He's also regressed notably over the past two years.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad