Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Thanks. I HATE it. I really hope this is Vancouver making room to shore up the D. Never upset about doing picks but a 4th (even if it’s Ott’s) seems not great.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Trading him to a hated rival for a less-than-underwhelming draft pick is pretty surprising.
Indeed it is.

My first reaction was to think that the Canucks considered Podz a longshot to make their team out of camp and decided to do right by Podkolzin (and perhaps Milstein) in choosing to send him someplace that would give Podkolzin a real opportunity to make the club this year.

The Oilers present a strange scenario. Because they are so top-heavy there is an opportunity to compete for a spot even though the team is a winning club. That opportunity is even stronger if the Oil don't match the offer for Grant Holloway. It looks like a good opportunity for Podkolzin.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I’m surprised they got a 4th at this point. He just needs that extra second that doesn’t exist in the NHL. It’s not his shot though, so maybe the Oilers think they can put him in some space. It rarely works when teams try though. His shots not consistent enough but we’ll see.

The Canucks got a 4th Rounder. Likely more than the Rangers get for Kakko if they wait till next summer.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Why Canucks or Oilers make this trade is confusing.
Canucks: Don't think he'll make the team but might get plucked on waivers.
Oilers: Maybe he can make the team but if not they can bury his contract without penalty if he's not claimed.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
i think this is a get for the Oilers but i'm biased cuz i would've liked to see what he could do on the Habs

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
plus 3 different coaches in his career already. his rookie year was good then afterwards it just came down spiraling

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I think it’s the complete opposite. Very little in way of tools. Doesn’t have very good hands or dangles, no deception with his shot at all.

He has to get by being a tough to play against, straight line player. Hockey IQ is good, but slow skating does not allow him to get to where he wants to go. Not the biggest guy, but will always show effort and willing to throw the body.

Good character person, but I never saw what scouts saw to rank him so highly. I wanted Caufield.

Based on my viewings, he has a pretty good shot and can finish plays off on one timers. But getting good open looks and shots are an issue for him. He is also good at lowering the sholder and protecting the puck/driving the net when he has the puck with some momentum (but again getting those opportunities are a problem,

I think people are closing the book too early on him.

I would have gave a 4th from the Rangers to take a chance on him, why not, it's a nothing pick.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Trading him to a hated rival for a less-than-underwhelming draft pick is pretty surprising.
How fans react and how franchises react are two very different things. I highly doubt the management groups have a hated rival towards each other

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I’m surprised they got a 4th at this point. He just needs that extra second that doesn’t exist in the NHL. It’s not his shot though, so maybe the Oilers think they can put him in some space. It rarely works when teams try though. His shots not consistent enough but we’ll see.

The Canucks got a 4th Rounder. Likely more than the Rangers get for Kakko if they wait till next summer.
I didn't realize Podz was a 10th OA pick and really only knew him from seeing him in games against the Wranglers, but this was my initial reaction too. I only really noticed him in the AHL because the Baby Canucks announcer was making a big deal about him returning from injury. But then in subsequent games tat stuck in my mind and was unimpressed.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Guy just hasn't produced at any level... EVER

The injury last season, he kind of lost his edge. We was given ample opportunity, he is a bust.

He is however a great guy, I really do wish him the best.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
3months apart Podkolzin .25 PPG 1 million salary Holloway .20 PPG 2.3 salary a savings of 1.3 million per season and Oilers go from a 4th to a 3rd round pick solid move
Podkolzin doesn’t have a crippled hand either.

Always liked Podkolzin.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Perhaps a difference in perception between the players too: Holloway wanting more minutes, vs. Podkolzin happy to play 11 minutes instead of being in the AHL. Oilers 4th line still looks rough though, two geriatrics + Podkolzin. Hope some young guys like Hamblin or Lavoie can steal a spot

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
There is that team mouthpieces immediately declared that Kane's 5.13 AAV would be going on LTIR after the offersheets were announced.

Plus for years we've heard about how the Oilers management loves everything about Broberg's game. Trading an 8th overall pick for a 2nd rounder is monstrously bad no matter what the cap issue is

Can't be operating by that logic, Broberg based on what he has shown would immediately become a pretty bad contract based on what he's shown in the NHL thus far. The 2nd round pick + cap space is realistically much, much better for EDM.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Canucks: Don't think he'll make the team but might get plucked on waivers.
Oilers: Maybe he can make the team but if not they can bury his contract without penalty if he's not claimed.

Yep this is the answer

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Solid lottery ticket paid cheap by Edmonton

Seems like solid Low Risk / High Reward move by Edmonton

I would have done that deal for Montréal IMO

Reactions: Ragdoll

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Can't be operating by that logic, Broberg based on what he has shown would immediately become a pretty bad contract based on what he's shown in the NHL thus far. The 2nd round pick + cap space is realistically much, much better for EDM.
There are Oiler fans who think this too but I don't get it. He's a dman. They often take this development route. He's only gotten better and better. He hasn't earned this 4.6 yet but he easily could surpass that value from day 1 of this season based on the quality of his play in the playoffs.

We just went through this with Bouchard. At the same age Broberg was this season Oiler fans said he might bust. With some support from the team he rapidly increased in value. I'd argue this playoffs saw Broberg show he is ready to duplicate what Bouchard did

Reactions: TheNumber4

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
It's not helping the Oilers, it's probably damning them

They get a 4th for a guy who had no value that they would have lost to waivers in a month

They get Edmonton to move on from Holloway giving them space to sign Broberg to that terrible deal, which can open up Bouchard to an OS next year while also having to sign Draisaitl (12 million will probably be 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd next year)
Oh yeah someone would literally have yo offer sheet Bouchard like 11 million a year but sure.

Reactions: McHelpus

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Oh yeah someone would literally have yo offer sheet Bouchard like 11 million a year but sure.

Sure, if STL is willing to OS Broberg for 4.5, why wouldn't they sign Bouchard, an actual top 10D to 12m per? They'd only be giving up two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Smart. Was not sure why everybody thought Edmonton would automatically match for Holloway. They can get what he brings (11 minutes a night, 11+5 in 63 total games) for a fraction of $2.2 million. That’s too much to spend on that role when you are counting every penny.

In the same role on the same Edmonton team, I suspect PdK will do 95% of what Holloway did. At a much lower cost.
I can’t argue with your points, but I would still prefer matching the offer sheet than replacing Holloway with Podkolzin. Holloway has some major upside. He plays physical, has decent size, and can absolutely fly. I think he can be a real good 2nd line winger by 25-26 season. I thought it was perfect ascension - played a 4th line role last year (bumped up at times), would play 3rd line minutes this year, then hop on Draisaitl’s wing the following season.

I don’t see that upside in Pod.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
There is that team mouthpieces immediately declared that Kane's 5.13 AAV would be going on LTIR after the offersheets were announced.

Plus for years we've heard about how the Oilers management loves everything about Broberg's game. Trading an 8th overall pick for a 2nd rounder is monstrously bad no matter what the cap issue is
It was being said Kane needed surgery and would go on LTIR before the offer sheets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad