Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is no way to justify that. He is very, very young for a Dman and just looked great in the playoffs. His trajectory is still similar to Bouchard's
He is going into his D+5 and he looked okay in the playoffs and analytically sucked.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Podkolzin is pretty bad, not much of a needle-mover for the Canucks, but somewhat weird the Oilers did this with their cap situation. Guessing they aren't matching on Holloway?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Smart. Was not sure why everybody thought Edmonton would automatically match for Holloway. They can get what he brings (11 minutes a night, 11+5 in 63 total games) for a fraction of $2.2 million. That’s too much to spend on that role when you are counting every penny.

In the same role on the same Edmonton team, I suspect PdK will do 95% of what Holloway did. At a much lower cost.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Almost as peak as thinking adding OEL to leafs defense somehow makes them good. Literally by the grace of god got out of the klingberg contract last year only to go after an exact replicate but with term.

OEL was only one of the moves on defense

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
My guess is they were never interested. Podkolzin is a SKA product, so they would have all kinds of info going back to his teenage years with Bobrov and his dad's ties to that team. If they really wanted him, they had the draft pick capital with all their 2025 picks to get him.

Pretty sure he meant Podkolzin.
Yeah, Podkolzin probably isn't an NHLer, but Hughes definitely seemed to have a thing for 2019 1st rounders.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
There is that team mouthpieces immediately declared that Kane's 5.13 AAV would be going on LTIR after the offersheets were announced.

Plus for years we've heard about how the Oilers management loves everything about Broberg's game. Trading an 8th overall pick for a 2nd rounder is monstrously bad no matter what the cap issue is
Really so 2 days left and no koves announced.....

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Smart. Was not sure why everybody thought Edmonton would automatically match for Holloway. They can get what he brings (11 minutes a night, 11+5 in 63 total games) for a fraction of $2.2 million. That’s too much to spend on that role when you are counting every penny.

In the same role on the same Edmonton team, I suspect PdK will do 95% of what Holloway did. At a much lower cost.

I think this is accurate on the rationale for the move, Podkolzin is not an NHL player as of the last time the Canucks touched the ice though, so I dunno if I'd say he can match Holloway in anyway unless he has some type of insane development trajectory over the summer.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I can't pick on EDM now with Podkolzin there. Good luck with his future there, hopefully get the opportunity that Vancouver was unwilling to give him. Dude is a great person, but SKA ruined his offensive creativity. He will still be serviceable in the bottom 6. A very defensive player.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I agree. Match Broberg-Holloway is a pass-Kane on litr- you are within a million - somebody gets waived at the million level

Option to match Holloway and trade? I think they could get a 2nd plus a prospect. Can you accept and trade?
If they match they can’t trade them for a year

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think this is accurate on the rationale for the move, Podkolzin is not an NHL player as of the last time the Canucks touched the ice though, so I dunno if I'd say he can match Holloway in anyway unless he has some type of insane development trajectory over the summer.

2023-24 Dylan Holloway is not some exceptionally high bar. It definitely doesn’t require Pod to have “an insane development trajectory”. Sometimes the difference between being a good AHL player and an NHL depth player is a pretty thin margin.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
2023-24 Dylan Holloway is not some exceptionally high bar. It definitely doesn’t require Pod to have “an insane development trajectory”.

Well, he couldn't break into the Canucks line-up last year and they had a winger shortage. He's not an NHL player until further notice, but sure I guess he could become a partially serviceable 4th liner.

The Canucks were playing Di Giuseppe and Linus Karlsson over him, who are basically fringe AHL/NHL guys.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Nice buy low gamble for the Oilers though I don't think there really is a ton of upside left with Podz.

Reactions: dukeofjive

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
It’s a pretty damning indictment on the player that Vancouver was willing to trade him to their most prominent divisional rival this year. They were clearly low on him.

Classic all tools, no toolbox player. He’s flamed out under several coaches now: Green, Boudreau, Colliton, and Tocchet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad