Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I'm not in love with this.

I was bullish on Podkolzin.

He doesn't look like he's likely got top 6 chops at this point, unless he's got perfect chemistry with someone.
But his off puck hockey sense, his small space plays (chipping it to a teammate in space, tying a guy up so his teammate can get it), his tenacity, and his raw tools of size, speed, and shot make me feel like he's still got potential to be a useful player.

With that said, I looked at our roster and really couldn't see where he would fit and wondered what would happen. I guess now I know.

It's probably not a bad move in terms of the other players we have. Kiefer Sherwood, Nils Hoglander, even Arshdeep Bains have shown more NHL potential in the last couple of years.

Podkolzin seems to have really mercurial confidence and when he's low confidence it seems like he processes the game really slowly. If he can't move past that, he's a 4th line/scratch tweener. But it's possible the Oilers have gotten a decent replacement for what Holloway has shown so far (Holloway has higher potential at this point one would think).

He’s a 4th liner - literally nothing special

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
This is such a confusing trade for what looks like just making a trade. Gives the Oilers a great "player with potential" and the ability to shrug off Holloway's loss. but gives Vancouver absolutely positively nothing worth even considering.

A 2025 4th round pick? Why? Is there a trade with Ottawa coming for them to get their pick back for an offer sheet in 2025 or?

Again, this makes almost no sense for Vancouver at all because they have so little true depth on the wings, zero quality prospects worth speaking of outside of Lekkerimaki, Pettersson and Willander and a serious burning need for players on cheap contracts and ELCs

While Podkolzin might not be a needle mover he is something that the Canucks org does not really have.

Such a weird move.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
This is such a confusing trade for what looks like just making a trade. Gives the Oilers a great "player with potential" and the ability to shrug off Holloway's loss. but gives Vancouver absolutely positively nothing worth even considering.

A 2025 4th round pick? Why? Is there a trade with Ottawa coming for them to get their pick back for an offer sheet in 2025 or?

Again, this makes almost no sense for Vancouver at all because they have so little true depth on the wings, zero quality prospects worth speaking of outside of Lekkerimaki, Pettersson and Willander and a serious burning need for players on cheap contracts and ELCs

Such a weird move.
Pod could possibly be lost to waivers.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wtf this kid has really fallen off that much? Hasn’t he just been injured a lot? If he can stay healthy he may be able to be a player.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Odd to get rid of him for free considering it's only a mil AAV. He would have been fine to keep for any potential that's left. I don't forsee much above a 4th line or replacement winger because he can't produce, but he could break out

unless there's something else in the works

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't get why the Sens traded a superior prospect and a 4th? They could have just given the 4th for Pod. Pod lowkey would have been effective and a good player in the Sens system, even if not spectacular.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
no-darth-vader.gif

Kent Hughes when he learns he missed out on a 2019 1st round pick.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Pod could possibly be lost to waivers.
I still don't get it.

It's like Vancouver has an aversion to developing players or playing their youth at all.

Of course, it also looks like they have an aversion to picking top 10 picks worth their draft status (Podkolzin Juolevi, Virtanen) no offense to Hughes or Pettersson (or Willander yet)

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is there a reason to think they're going to match the Broberg offer?
There is that team mouthpieces immediately declared that Kane's 5.13 AAV would be going on LTIR after the offersheets were announced.

Plus for years we've heard about how the Oilers management loves everything about Broberg's game. Trading an 8th overall pick for a 2nd rounder is monstrously bad no matter what the cap issue is

• Haha
Reactions: kevrondl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad