Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Vasily Podkolzin for OTT '25 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Very disappointing, but yeah it seems Allvin and co think he’s done …why to the Oil and not anywhere out east is a mystery though. To think we couldve had Boldy or Caufield….
Oh well, this management has earned trust. Good luck to him in Edm

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
How is this helping the Oilers? Canucks got a 4th instead of losing him for nothing in waivers. Canuck fans seem more disappointed at the missed pick than the actual player.

And lots also aren't happy with shipping him to the Oilers for a 4th.

Tells you there are people who still think there's a chance of something there, however unlikely

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
There is that team mouthpieces immediately declared that Kane's 5.13 AAV would be going on LTIR after the offersheets were announced.

Plus for years we've heard about how the Oilers management loves everything about Broberg's game. Trading an 8th overall pick for a 2nd rounder is monstrously bad no matter what the cap issue is
Good grief :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Wtf this kid has really fallen off that much? Hasn’t he just been injured a lot? If he can stay healthy he may be able to be a player.

5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points in 31 VHL games

7 goals, 12 assists, 19 points in 68 KHL games

22 goals, 24 assists, 46 points in 82 AHL games

3 goals, 9 assists, 12 points in 21 WJC games

18 goals, 17 assists, 35 points in 135 NHL games.

Guy has never been productive at any level. 0 offensive creativity, and IQ. His saving grave is he's kind of physical. I honestly do mean this when I say the kid has stone hands, and he just doesn't know where to be offensively.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
The potential payoff alone is worth the gamble …. If he clicks in Edm youve got a big fast guy who likes to hit and can play mean …. If he can pot a few even better.
I thought he was going to have his Hoglander year this year, after marinating in the minors

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I can't pick on EDM now with Podkolzin there. Good luck with his future there, hopefully get the opportunity that Vancouver was unwilling to give him. Dude is a great person, but SKA ruined his offensive creativity. He will still be serviceable in the bottom 6. A very defensive player.
Does he PK? Hit/use his size?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It was being said Kane needed surgery and would go on LTIR before the offer sheets
Do you have a link to this? I googled it and all the news I saw on this started on the day of the offer sheet.

There has been speculation about surgery dating back from before the trade deadline last season of course, and right after the playoffs too, but nothing firm (I could be wrong but I don't see the stories)

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Sure, if STL is willing to OS Broberg for 4.5, why wouldn't they sign Bouchard, an actual top 10D to 12m per? They'd only be giving up two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.
Only lol if st louis had done that it be like two 15 overall picks plus the second and third and that's best case for the blues.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Sure, if STL is willing to OS Broberg for 4.5, why wouldn't they sign Bouchard, an actual top 10D to 12m per? They'd only be giving up two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.
The Broberg situation and the Bouchard situation are not comparable at all. Unless somehow the Oilers have been offering Bouchard long term deals at 4M a year and refuse to budge while also having 3 better RHD than him.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Based on my viewings, he has a pretty good shot and can finish plays off on one timers. But getting good open looks and shots are an issue for him. He is also good at lowering the sholder and protecting the puck/driving the net when he has the puck with some momentum (but again getting those opportunities are a problem,

I think people are closing the book too early on him.

I would have gave a 4th from the Rangers to take a chance on him, why not, it's a nothing pick.
I think his shot is fine, just a shot that is garden variety average at the NHL level. He’s not picking spots with a nasty wrister. His 1T mechanics aren’t very good and wasting time trying to set it up at the NHL level is worthless.

If he can get open, he can finish but again, it’s more oriented towards power rather than him picking a corner. That’s what I meant by “deception”.

He’ll need to revamp his game to fit a bottom 6 role and it’s not like the Oilers are known for giving their bottom 6ers chances for success. The attitude is, waste time for McDrai to get a rest in for them.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Ya I don’t like this. I would have preferred to give Podz another shot. He’s shown some promise, he just hasn’t stuck. It takes some players longer, and I’m worried he may be one of them.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I understand the rationale for the trade but the timing seems odd. Doing this pre July 1 or around pre-season seems more conventional. Maybe they are setting up another move.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
The Broberg situation and the Bouchard situation are not comparable at all. Unless somehow the Oilers have been offering Bouchard long term deals at 4M a year and refuse to budge while also having 3 better RHD than him.

They're similar in the sense that STL would probably overpay them both by 3m a year.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Probably wasn’t going to make the team so getting ahead of the situation and getting a pick instead of potentially losing him for nothing is smart. Best of luck to him, hopefully he can become an everyday player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't get it from Vancouver's perspective. I get that perhaps he wouldn't make the roster and they'd rather get a pick than losing him off of waivers but that decision was a few months down the line and they made it easier for their rival to walk away from Holloway with a cheaper, although probably not as good, replacement. For the Oilers it's a no risk modest perhaps decent reward bet to give them a bit of a buffer for Holloway's departure.

Congrats on Holloway Blues fans. I was a big fan, gonna miss him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad