Proposal: EDM - Trade the big 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Tell me more.

He will either use the patent-pending Kane approach, of faking a vaccine passport, ignoring quarantine and not reporting to the team, or the Mike Richards "this mysterious white powder is just MSG, I just like cheap Chinese food!" method. He may even use the tried and true, Chris Pronger "my significant other wants us out of here" technique.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Why would Carolina do that? Aho is a better all around player than McDavid and makes less. Then they are adding on top of that?

This notion that McDavid is the best player in the league is utter nonsense. He's a cherry picker. The Oilers won't be a winning team until that changes and when it does McDavid won't be winning Art Ross trophies anymore. Players like Barkov and Aho are much more valuable to winning than McDavid.
swap Aho or Barkov for Mcdavid 1 for 1 = both Carolina and Florida getting significantly better come on lol

Reactions: Seachd

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If it comes down to it and McDavid says he wants out.... If I'm Edmonton I'm trying to trade him to Ottawa.

Stutzle + Sanderson + 2022 1st round pick.

Edmonton cant lose both guys, they have to get one to stay. Best way to convince Leon to stay is by getting him a high end winger to play with him, the fact Stutzle is a fellow German and likely they are good friends helps as well.

Sanderson gives them a top tier D prospect and a guy that can actually turn that Defense around very quickly. And then they also get a Top 5 pick in the draft this year, along with a Top 15 pick from there own picks.

Although tbh it might be worthwhile for the Oilers to use that 1st rounder they own at that point to unload some of the awful cap dumps they have right now.

Between the 12.5M going out from McDavid in such a trade, and freeing up ~6M by being able to dump Ceci and Kassian lets say.... Oilers could be looking at almost 20M in cap space then as well to bring in a Top 6 forward or two.

Edmonton drafts Nemec with the Sens pick and can build around:

Stutzle/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi
RNH/Holloway/Hyman

Sanderson/Nemec
Broberg/Bouchard

Still no idea what they do about the Goaltending though. To this day I have no clue why Edmonton passed on drafting Wallstedt in last years draft. He would literally solve the goaltending position for 15 years for that team.

On the flip side of this, Sens get the best player in the league and get to play him with an absolute menace on the wing in Brady Tkachuk. Honestly they probably still have to add another piece, maybe even two to get the deal done considering its McDavid. But they have so many good young players they could afford to lose another forward like Grieg or Sokolov.

That's probably too much to give away for Ottawa.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Why would teams gut their rosters for McDavid? Then you basically become the Oilers.

Marketing and revenue. Oilers wont sell their most valuable player in McDavid for less than an overpayment. An owner who doesnt fill this arena every night might be interested to overpay. There is also the merchandise-sales, marketing-value etc. to considier. A team that has an owner, who is mostly interested in winning would probably not, but if the $$ is the priority, then McDavid is a goldmine.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
swap Aho or Barkov for Mcdavid 1 for 1 = both Carolina and Florida getting significantly better come on lol

Offensively McDavid is better ofcourse, but can he make players around him better? Barkov did this to Verhaeghe, Duclair. McDavid done it to whom? Draisaitl is a force of his own so he doesnt count.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Expecting anyone from the Rangers to come to Edmonton and be even remotely the same player for more than a few months is a mistake.
There's a reason the Rangers get so much out of their players... they play because they want to be there.

Nobody wants to be in Edmonton. The organization needs to figure that out. Find some way to keep the players there from falling into complacency.

That's what ails the Oilers. Not the roster makeup... not the coaching tactics.. even the goaltending yes.. Vasileski would come here and turn into a meh goalie in a year.
The Oilers problem is cultural/confidence/motivational/psychological/organizational

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Zib flame out into a 3rd liner within a year of arriving in Edmonton.. not that he'd ever waive his clause.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Marketing and revenue. Oilers wont sell their most valuable player in McDavid for less than an overpayment. An owner who doesnt fill this arena every night might be interested to overpay. There is also the merchandise-sales, marketing-value etc. to considier. A team that has an owner, who is mostly interested in winning would probably not, but if the $$ is the priority, then McDavid is a goldmine.

The best marketing you can get is winning. Fans want to watch their team win, not see a new big name star languish in mediocrity.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
guys do you think edm will accept marner/1st/sandin/tons of cap dump. asking for a friend :sarcasm:

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Offensively McDavid is better ofcourse, but can he make players around him better? Barkov did this to Verhaeghe, Duclair. McDavid done it to whom? Draisaitl is a force of his own so he doesnt count.
so Hyman and Puljujarvi are just magically having the best years of their career?

dude, Florida and Carolina are both better teams with mcdavid swapped for either of the top two you have got to be kidding if you think 32 out of 32 GM's wouldn't pick mcdavid first over Aho and Barkov if they were building a team from scratch. Mcdavid has his quirks, however his team has never been close to as good as Florida or Carolina this year.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
The best marketing you can get is winning. Fans want to watch their team win, not see a new big name star languish in mediocrity.

You are thinking Canada, New York and Colorado. Think southern USA - they like their superstars.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
so Hyman and Puljujarvi are just magically having the best years of their career?

dude, Florida and Carolina are both better teams with mcdavid swapped for either of the top two you have got to be kidding if you think 32 out of 32 GM's wouldn't pick mcdavid first over Aho and Barkov if they were building a team from scratch. Mcdavid has his quirks, however his team has never been close to as good as Florida or Carolina this year.

McDavid is obviously the best offensive player of the game. He still doesnt neccessairly make the team better. Every GM on the planet would take McDavid first, but sometimes the best player doesnt make the team around him better. I dont suggest a 1on1 trade for anyone.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
McDavid

for

Aho
Pesce
Drury
1st

McDavid

for

Ehlers
PLD
Heinola
1st

Draisaitl

for

Bennett
Montour
Lundell
1st

Theese as a base. Could be some add-ons etc.
From Winnipeg I swap out PLD for Scheifele though. Dont feel it is enough from the Jets. I would change Morrissey for Heinola but then the cap doesn't work for the Oilers. Hmmm.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
McDavid is obviously the best offensive player of the game. He still doesnt neccessairly make the team better. Every GM on the planet would take McDavid first, but sometimes the best player doesnt make the team around him better. I dont suggest a 1on1 trade for anyone.
so you think those two teams would be worse off with mcdavid over barkov or aho? lol

oxenfree

Jun 20, 2019
From Winnipeg I swap out PLD for Scheifele though. Dont feel it is enough from the Jets. I would change Morrissey for Heinola but then the cap doesn't work for the Oilers. Hmmm.

Imagine finding out you can move away from Edmonton but you have to move to Winnipeg. Monkey's paw curls.

Reactions: Heldig

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
OMG. Holland is mumbling on trading the Oil first in 2022 and he is going to move one of those two ? LOL.

Holland has the assets to trade for help, he just needs to do it. I thought he was just posturing to not seem panicked for a trade and be taken advantage of, but he is starting to wait too long given how the team is stumbling.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You are thinking Canada, New York and Colorado. Think southern USA - they like their superstars.

I'm sorry, but do you really think casual fans in the southern USA will buy tickets to see him regularly lose on a bad team? Sure, your existing fans will probably buy a new jersey, and maybe you'll sell a few tickets to the casual fans who just want to see McDavid, but how does losing get them excited to come back again? And again? Winning is what creates excitement and brings fans back for more. And winning has the added benefit of turning the guys who make those wins happen into "superstars" to the fans.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
The only teams IMO that make sense to add either CMD or Drai are all in the West IMO. I think most of the teams in the East aren't really looking for a centre and if the Oilers make such a trade, it should be an obvious 1-2 year retool vs a rebuild.

Kings - Future heavy package for Draisaitl and aim to contend. Edmonton integrates prospects over 1 seasons. But prospect heavy is a terrible idea. This is also potentially "the trade" all over again.
Jets - 2 roster players and futures (ie: Scheifele+) both teams retool and aim to contend... but Oilers still looking for a goalie
Flames - For obvious reasons it's a nah. But almost everyone knows we need a 1C and/or a 1RW. The BOA would get very awkward very fast as well.
Preds - Similar to Jets. Upgrade a 1C to elite C. Both teams retool and aim to contend... but Oilers still looking for a goalie
Seattle - Acquire Draisaitl to build around over next 2-3 seasons. Sell everything else Edmonton needs at low cap to give CMD 2-3 seasons of nearly guaranteed contention? (Goalie, Dmen, depth etc.)

Out East, I think most teams wouldn't mind adding those guys, but they'd be worried about seriously messing up the make up of their teams. 8.5/12.5 AAV of roster movement is a lot and there's always the risk that it takes longer than expected to fully integrate the player you acquire or that you're punching a bigger hole than you fill in.

Sens/Sabres - In this case, you're hoping to boost either team to contention by nabbing a ton of high end futures. The Oilers in theory would integrate those players within a year or so and then return to contention... but this is the Oilers. Going prospects heavy is a terrible idea.

Flyers/Devils/Isles/Rags/Jackets - All seem like a bit of the same. With how the East is a bloodbath, they cannot guarantee to make significant strides forward if acquiring either player. They could stumble a few steps back just as easily as making a leap forward. They can't offer what the Oilers need without scuttling themselves.

Bolts/Canes/Panthers/Caps/Pens - Perhaps don't want to mess with a good thing. Chemistry is just as important as quality players.

I think anyone would love CMD or Drai, but it seems the roster maneuvering out East is far trickier than out West. Interconference trades of such players are going to be etched in the walls of NHL history as genius or shame forever.

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Draisatl for Fox one for one makes sense for Edmonton. They would be stupid not to take this deal if it was on the table.

As crazy as it might sound I think the Rangers would decline this offer, Fox is so valuable to them and they already have an incredible offense.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'm sorry, but do you really think casual fans in the southern USA will buy tickets to see him regularly lose on a bad team? Sure, your existing fans will probably buy a new jersey, and maybe you'll sell a few tickets to the casual fans who just want to see McDavid, but how does losing get them excited to come back again? And again? Winning is what creates excitement and brings fans back for more. And winning has the added benefit of turning the guys who make those wins happen into "superstars" to the fans.

So you actually think that teams like Canes or Florida would be crippled with thoose trades?

Huberdeau - Draisaitl - Duclair
Verhaeghe - Barkov - Mamin
Vatrano - Reinhart - Tippett
Marchment - Luostarinen - Lomberg

Weegar - Ekblad
Forsling - Gudas
Kierstad - Carlsson

or

Svechnikov - McDavid - Jarvis
Teräväinen - Trocheck - Niederreiter
Lorentz - Staal - Fast
Necas - Kotkaniemi - Stepan