Proposal: EDM - Trade the big 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It's not a bad premise, but there are challenges. Of the top half of the NHL, very few teams can make this deal... maybe four. The rest either have cap limitations, along with players with NMC/NTC that can veto a trade to Edmonton, or could only move D (and then have no cap to replace what would become an untenable situation with their D). Basically it's Colorado, St. Louis, Columbus and Toronto. Then add the NMC, and you might have one, maybe two options to negotiate... of course, all it takes is two to increase your return. Where it is one, or two teams, the leverage starts to disappear, particularly as no team would trade for him, and make their team net weaker.... While it's an unlikely situation, trading McDavid won't come close to a win for Edmonton, if they are forced to do it.

its never a win to trade generational players... usually finances dictate it , and then the team is kind of screwed on leverage... there is a reason that guys like that rarely move much...

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
You really think that Florida can add a $8,500,000 Leon Draisaitl and then add a $10,000,000 to $11,000,000 Jonathan Huberdeau the next year. Florida doesn't have that kind of cap. And besides one of Barkov or Huberdeau would need to be moved to afford Draisaitl.

Ofcours they can. Thats like 0.4M more going out than Draisaitls contract. Do you expect Huby or Barkov to drop their NMC:s in Florida to goto Edmonton? I bet they will drop them for more taxes, worse team and shitty weather...

Bennett 4.425M
Montour 3,5M
Lundell 0.925M
1st

And I said might as well add a few pieces if necessary. Like Tippett and 3rd. I`d say edmonton would be a better, deeper team after this.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Ofcours they can. Thats like 0.4M more going out than Draisaitls contract. Do you expect Huby or Barkov to drop their NMC:s in Florida to goto Edmonton? I bet they will drop them for more taxes, worse team and shitty weather...

Bennett 4.425M
Montour 3,5M
Lundell 0.925M
1st

Ooooof terrible deal

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Ooooof terrible deal

I agree that Draisaitl is the best piece in the deal. Oilers get 3 defensively responsible players. Bennett is a 2C and Lundell a projected 1C, who is a defensive beast. He has most takeaways of all forward while averaging 14min/gp and 63% defensive zone starts as a rookie. Still the kid has 26p with almost no PP. Montour is a very good defensively sound D. Might wanna check the players stats involved?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Try Newhook, Byram and a 1st.
Only on Hfboards would someone prefer three lottery tickets to two proven good NHL players.

If that’s all it took to get Draisaitl I’d make this deal then ship Kadri and Compher out for 7th round picks to make the salary work.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You're right they wouldn't want the reining Norris winner, and you'll notice I said Fox or Shesterkin. Do a little reading

I did notice . Fox didn't want to be in Calgary . He wanted out of Carolina . He force his way to the NYR . Why would Edmonton want him . Great player would love to have him he he wanted to be in Edmonton . As I said do a little research and you will see why he doesn't make sense in a McDavid trade .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Bennett 4.425M
Montour 3,5M
Lundell 0.925M
1st

And I said might as well add a few pieces if necessary. Like Tippett and 3rd. I`d say edmonton would be a better, deeper team after this.

I agree . However I rather you get a goalie in there .

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I did notice . Fox didn't want to be in Calgary . He wanted out of Carolina . He force his way to the NYR . Why would Edmonton want him . Great player would love to have him he he wanted to be in Edmonton . As I said do a little research and you will see why he doesn't make sense in a McDavid trade .

I'm aware of his history, I'm also aware that he probably wouldn't want to play in Edmonton. I also realize these are hockey boards and people throw things like NTC and NMC out all the time to "acquire" players. I also don't think Edmonton is seriously considering trading McDavid, do you?
All I was saying is Edmonton is going to want teams best player in a McDavid trade so people should stop thinking they can get him for their 3rd best asset and draft picks.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I agree . However I rather you get a goalie in there .

I`d say Florida would probably rather do a packae around Knight than Lundell. I do think think that the Oilers problem generally isnt the goalie, but the team infront of them. Id actually try get Korpisalo or similar cheap option and go with Korpisalo/Skinner and save money for D and 3-4th liners thats resonsible 2-way. Pry Lehkonen from Montreal for a 2nd, Korpisalo for a 3rd and some cheap stay-at-home D. I`d say you have a better team then.

RNH - McDavid - Puljujärvi
Hyman - Bennett - Yamamoto
Lehkonen - Lundell - Kassian
Perlini - McLeod - Sceviour

Nurse - Montour
Keith - Barrie
Russell - Ceci

Korpisalo
Skinner

Last edited:

Crow52

Jan 8, 2020
Time to maximize value on the big 2 before they’re demanding a trade in the off-season

Trade 1

To NYR: Mcdavid

To EDM: Zibby, Lafrenniere, Kakko

Trade 2

To MIN: Draisaitl

To EDM: Ek, Dumba, Wallstedt
You don't trade two of the top players in the league. You have from great to good players down the middle, you have to come up with some consistent wingers for the these centers. Work in getting a better goalie but when all healthy?
McDavid: Hyman & ??
Draisaitl: Yamamoto & Puljujarvi
Nugent-Hopkins: Foegele & ??
McLeod: Kassian & Perlini?

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
A team with 2 Top10 centers doesnt have the need for McDavid. They also dont wanna give up a Top5 winger that is a need for them who has unreal chemistry with their 1C. On top of that a cost-controlled future 1-2C in Newhook, a 2-3D on a long contract + a 1st. Fact is - Colorado would get worse. They are in win-now mode, leading the NHL and you think they wanna completely redo their lineup? There is 0 chance Sakic does this. NONE.

you might be the only fan that actually undervalues McDavid !! :facepalm:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
you might be the only fan that actually undervalues McDavid !! :facepalm:

I dont undervalue McDavid, I just wouldnt make my team worse only for getting him. What is the point in getting the best player in the world if you go from contender to worse?
Doesnt look like Edmonton is Stanley cup team with 2 Top3 C:s does it?

Reactions: Big guns

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
I dont undervalue McDavid, I just wouldnt make my team worse only for getting him. What is the point in getting the best player in the world if you go from contender to worse?
Doesnt look like Edmonton is Stanley cup team with 2 Top3 C:s does it?

That’s not McDavid’s fault, that’s from continued bad management ! This franchise couldn’t build a winner if it’s survival depended on it ! Even one of the greatest goal scorers of our generation and genuine superstar Alex Ovechkin had to wait 13 years to win a cup with the Caps! Sometimes championships just don’t happen overnight!! o_O

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
That’s not McDavid’s fault, that’s from continued bad management ! This franchise couldn’t build a winner if it’s survival depended on it ! Even one of the greatest goal scorers of our generation and genuine superstar Alex Ovechkin had to wait 13 years to win a cup with the Caps! Sometimes championships just don’t happen overnight!! o_O

The only problem with the franchise is, they dont understand how crucial it is to get the complimentary pieces. You have the 1A/1B center, you have the 1D, but they dont address the 3-4 lines or stay-at-home D:s. They overpay for 2line wingers and 3-4 offensive D:s. Thats why goalies die on Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad