Proposal: EDM - Trade the big 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I hope that was sarcasm? o_O

Rantanen did even better when MacKinnon was injured and he played C. This trade would at best be a lateral move for Colorado. They loose 2 core-pieces on good contracts, a very promising youngster and a first. I wouldnt trade this package for McDavid. It makes Colorado worse and they have to extend MacKinnon 2023. For this season they have Kadri as 2C also - whats the point in changing something that works?

Rantanen 35gp 21g 27a 48p +22 9,25M/UFA 2025
Girard 36gp 4g 17a 21p 5M/UFA 2027
Newhook 29gp 8g 5a 13p +5 0,9M/RFA 2023
1st

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The only team that may be able to make the best deal for McDavid would likely be the Avs. They have incredible D depth and also some top end forwards. The other teams will be Tampa, Carolina, Caps and Minny.

Tampa can offer one of Point/Kuch plus their top d not named Hedman, a top prospect, and a couple of 1st rounders.

Maybe Wilson from Caps, either Caps' best center or John Carlson, their current starter, their top forward prospect. plus a 2023 1st will help Oils to become a contender. I think if this if offered, Oilers will be interested.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe Wilson from Caps, Caps' best center, their current starter, their top forward prospect. plus a 2023 1st will help Oils to become a contender. I think if this if offered, Oilers will be interested.

I really much doubt they will gut their team to make Oilers a contender.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Tampa can offer one of Point/Kuch plus their top d not named Hedman, a top prospect, and a couple of 1st rounders.

Why would they? This is some crazy ask right there. Why on earth would Tampa, the cup-winner, sell off their winning team for McDavid?
As I said earlier Florida and Carolina have the best pieces to make a deal without gutting their teams. I really much doubt anyone would give the amount of assets you list though.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
McDavid for Seider + Raymond?
Drai for Edvinsson + Raymond?

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
These type threads are always fun. I'm sure Edm will work it out with these two super stars and win a cup or two if they do. Having said that here is my attempt from the Bruins.

I know most Edm fans will insist on Pasta/McAvoy, but I don't think it makes sense to trade home grown corner stones for slightly better cornerstones. You want to build around those two. So right away I think this proposal gets shutdown by Oil fans but in the end if he does get traded I think this will be somewhat close.

Carlo (top 4 solid defensive Dman)
DeBrusk (obv reasons)
Swayman (Stud goalie, should be here already if it wasn't for the silly Ulmark signing)
Lohrei (Future Dougie Hamilton and our best prospect) OR Lysell (future elite winger and our second best prospect)
1st rounder and 2nd rounder

for

Draisaitl

Bruins empty the cupboard for a last chance to win now with the aging core.

Hall Draisaitl Pastrnak
Marchand Bergeron Smith

Obviously 0.7% chance of happening but it's fun to think of that top 6. Also on a side note, it pains me to see threads like this considering our return for Joe Thornton who is probably pretty comparable value wise to Drai.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
There's a difference between increasing revenue and increasing valuation. And, sure, McDavid did help increase the value of the team. But, he didn't change ticket sales numbers much, because they've pretty much sold out every game for the last 20 years. And, after the initial run on McDavid jerseys, how much does he really impact jersey sales in a given year? I know they sell a lot of his jerseys, but some percentage of those jersey sales would likely still happen if McDavid weren't on the team, right? They'd go home with a Draisaitl jersey instead, or maybe a Nurse, right? So, what's his true impact on revenue?

On the other hand, how much extra revenue does a couple of playoff games generate? Just making the playoffs means ~36000 more tickets to sell at playoff prices. That's more parking and concessions and merchandise sales. And the more you win, the more extra revenue there is. McDavid's impact on revenue doesn't seem to even come close.

Point is McDavid is worth a ton of value to the Oilers far past both his cost in cap and play on the ice. Edmonton isn’t worth 1.1 billion without McDrai. They simply won’t be available without demanding out.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The only team that may be able to make the best deal for McDavid would likely be the Avs. They have incredible D depth and also some top end forwards. The other teams will be Tampa, Carolina, Caps and Minny.

I can't see Nate McKinnon being a happy camper playing second fiddle to McDavid as #2 center. The Avs are his team.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Point is McDavid is worth a ton of value to the Oilers far past both his cost in cap and play on the ice. Edmonton isn’t worth 1.1 billion without McDrai. They simply won’t be available without demanding out.

Is it really McDrai that gives the team that much value, or is it the fact that the fans show up for every single game, regardless of the quality of the on-ice product? I know I'd spend a lot more money on a guaranteed revenue source like that than I would on a team that has to actually compete for the sports entertainment dollars in their market.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Is it really McDrai that gives the team that much value, or is it the fact that the fans show up for every single game, regardless of the quality of the on-ice product? I know I'd spend a lot more money on a guaranteed revenue source like that than I would on a team that has to actually compete for the sports entertainment dollars in their market.

7th in the league in valuation and the largest increase of all teams in the last year. That says it all. McDavid is absolutely a selling point especially for corporate/advertising dollars in an otherwise small market with limited resources outside of fans to draw on.

The arena, the growth arena district and the fans coming to see McDavid and Draisaitl plays a huge part. I can’t see the Oilers maintaining this valuation ranking if they move McDavid and Draisaitl. That’s a drastic move and I can’t see Katz risking it.

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
To San Jose:

McDavid

to Edmonton:

Hertl*, LeBanc, Ryan Merkeley, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 2023 2nd*

*condition: if Hertl doesn't resign in Edmonton, the conditional 2023 2nd is added. (edit: Sharks don't have their 2022 2nd)

all picks not lottery protected
wow, so not nearly enough.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
this isn't the 1990's. With the Cap involved you can't just expect an entire top 6 plus picks whenever a trade involving a superstar is involved.
But you can get the best player in the world for a rental…

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
this isn't the 1990's. With the Cap involved you can't just expect an entire top 6 plus picks whenever a trade involving a superstar is involved.
Well it is Mcdavid and yes we can expect a shit ton more than a UFA, picks and filler. This is a cap world, I understand but the offers need to include in the words of Bern the bluest of blue chip prospects and some elite talent. To be blunt SJ just does not have the horses to enter that race.

Reactions: Ragdoll

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
7th in the league in valuation and the largest increase of all teams in the last year. That says it all. McDavid is absolutely a selling point especially for corporate/advertising dollars in an otherwise small market with limited resources outside of fans to draw on.

The arena, the growth arena district and the fans coming to see McDavid and Draisaitl plays a huge part. I can’t see the Oilers maintaining this valuation ranking if they move McDavid and Draisaitl. That’s a drastic move and I can’t see Katz risking it.

Are you sure it's really due to McDavid? When the new arena was announced in 2013, when McDavid was still in juniors, the Oiler's value almost doubled, from $225m to $400m. Now, with the new arena fully functional and the surrounding area growing around it, the value has doubled again. It didn't double when McDavid or Drai joined the team, or after either of them won individual awards, or even after they led the team to the playoffs. It was only after the new arena got built that there was any drastic change to the value of the team. What part of that says that it's due to McDavid or Draisaitl, and not simply due to the increased revenue generated by the new downtown stadium?

I also can't see the Oilers fans not coming to Oilers games, regardless of what the team does to the roster. They've sold out pretty much every game for the better part of 20 years, since long before McDavid was even in juniors. Why would that change now?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
With all due respect to everyone's proposals here:

EDM really needs to make sure these 2 do not DEMAND a trade. Because it will end very badly for them.

As a wings fan... we could only dream of having EITHER a McDavid or Draisaitl level talent. You should never trade these 2. NEVER!

EDM will lose any trade they put these 2 in.

Reactions: Ragdoll and Oddbob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Are you sure it's really due to McDavid? When the new arena was announced in 2013, when McDavid was still in juniors, the Oiler's value almost doubled, from $225m to $400m. Now, with the new arena fully functional and the surrounding area growing around it, the value has doubled again. It didn't double when McDavid or Drai joined the team, or after either of them won individual awards, or even after they led the team to the playoffs. It was only after the new arena got built that there was any drastic change to the value of the team. What part of that says that it's due to McDavid or Draisaitl, and not simply due to the increased revenue generated by the new downtown stadium?

I also can't see the Oilers fans not coming to Oilers games, regardless of what the team does to the roster. They've sold out pretty much every game for the better part of 20 years, since long before McDavid was even in juniors. Why would that change now?

McDavid makes the Oilers more money than any other hockey player would, he makes them more money than Wayne Gretzky did in the 80s (because a lot has changed since then).

He absolutely is a huge reason the Oilers valuation is over 1 billion dollars.

That's also why the owner will never allow any trade for him, the GM that even suggests it will get slapped. This is a business first.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
McDavid makes the Oilers more money than any other hockey player would, he makes them more money than Wayne Gretzky did in the 80s (because a lot has changed since then).

He absolutely is a huge reason the Oilers valuation is over 1 billion dollars.

That's also why the owner will never allow any trade for him, the GM that even suggests it will get slapped. This is a business first.

Maybe you're right, but I can't seem to find a single shred of evidence to back up your claims. What I'm seeing in the numbers is that revenue only increased after the new, larger stadium was opened. And ticket sales have been pretty steady (based on the size of the arena) for 20 years. So where's his impact, based on the actual revenue?

I'm also seeing that the team's value nearly doubled after the new stadium was announced in 2013 (aka before McDavid), and then didn't change much until this year. If it's McDavid that drives the team's value, why didn't his first 6 years have much, if any, impact on the team's value?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Is this gaslighting? Lupul and Smid never came close to the hype or projected ceiling that Stützle and Sanderson have.

McDavid was also a technically a top ten pick, so really two top ten picks is overpayment. (big god damn eye roll here)

What? How is it gaslighting?

Like I said, I subjectively expect Stutzle and Sanderson to both have far better careers than Lupul and Smid, but that's exactly the point. At the time you make such a trade, you can't know... you only have what they've accomplished to date.

Without the benefit of hindsight, the trades have some very strong parallels. To reiterate:

McDavid is far more valuable than Pronger was, thus today's offer for McD should beat what Edmonton got for Pronger... that's the basic premise here. And the offer proposed isn't close. As follows:

Lupul (at the time) = Stutzle
  • One drafted 7th overall, one drafted 3rd
  • Both played two seasons
  • Lupul 87 points in 156 games, Stutzle 48 points in 87 games
  • Lupul was very hyped up as well, you've just forgotten because he more or less busted
  • If you want to argue Stutzle has more hype than Lupul did at that time, that's fine. I won't argue with you, but I don't know how you can really back that up. They were both very highly ranked prospects with limited, but successful NHL experience.
Smid < or = Sanderson
  • One guy was 9th overall and the 2nd D-man drafted in his year, one guy was 5th overall and the 1st D-man drafted in his
  • Neither guy had played in the NHL, but Smid (the 9th overall) had played in the AHL, putting up 28 points in 71 games
  • Both would have been projected as future top-pairing guys

You can argue that so far the offer favors Ottawa's, but it's at least arguable that they are comparable.

After that the comparison falls apart unless you want to argue that: 1st > 1st + 1st + 2nd

And remember... the Ottawa offer should be clearly greater than the Anaheim offer, since McD > Pronger... and it isn't... and that's my whole point.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
Rantanen did even better when MacKinnon was injured and he played C. This trade would at best be a lateral move for Colorado. They loose 2 core-pieces on good contracts, a very promising youngster and a first. I wouldnt trade this package for McDavid. It makes Colorado worse and they have to extend MacKinnon 2023. For this season they have Kadri as 2C also - whats the point in changing something that works?

Rantanen 35gp 21g 27a 48p +22 9,25M/UFA 2025
Girard 36gp 4g 17a 21p 5M/UFA 2027
Newhook 29gp 8g 5a 13p +5 0,9M/RFA 2023
1st

maybe YOU wouldn’t trade this package or any good package for McDavid but I betcha the team would, matter of fact every team in the league probably would? o_O

Reactions: TFHockey

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Lol there are no exceptions for the 2 best players in the league, in their prime.

Rangers would have to include Fox and Sheshterkin, as a start

Minny would have to give up Kaprizov, as a start

If you, or anyone wants Connor McDavid traded, it's going to take a hell of alot more than a few 2nd and 3rd tier assets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad