The defense is 1 piece away from being set.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And I know that piece isn't coming for awhile, probably closer to the deadline but I feel like this teams defense is 1 piece away from being set.

I am as confident in The top top 3 of Rielly, Tanev and McCabe as I've been in a top 3 on defense since Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin and I don't even really want count that because unfortunately Muzzin suffered a career ending injury.

So if we take that away, this trio is the most confident I've ever been in a top 3 trio.

If this team can find a way to add 1 more piece at some point in the season, preferably somebody with term like a Cam Fowler, or Rasmus Anderson or Connor Murphy, maybe Colton Parayko depending on which way St Louis goes, although a rental like Provorov would work too.

Somebody that can bump OEL to the 3rd pair then the defense is set.

I don't even hate OEL in the top 4 but if at some point they can add a piece that knocks him to the 3rd pair the defense becomes stacked.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Lots of teams in the same boat. It all comes down to logistics in today's NHL:

• Do we have the cap room?
  • Do we have assets to trade for this player?
Might be nice to maybe draft and develop a stud D someday, rather than plugging holes via trade (leaving our draft capital barren) & UFA (overpaying for aging veterans).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lots of teams in the same boat. It all comes down to logistics in today's NHL:

• Do we have the cap room?
  • Do we have assets to trade for this player?
Might be nice to maybe draft and develop a stud D someday, rather than plugging holes via trade (leaving our draft capital barren) & UFA (overpaying for aging veterans).

It would be nice sure but this team is in full on win now mode, and will be for as long as Matthews is on this team.

It's not about development right now.

As for the cap space obviously we don't have it today, but they are going make some moves to clear cap space before the season because they literally have to, and that cap space will grow as the season progresses and by February who knows.

Reactions: Sypher04

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Lets wait and see first how a top 3 of Rielly, Tanev, amd McCabe soes before being so assured that they are good enough to be a cup winning backend

If they perform well, a big move for one of the names you noted makes sense ideally around midway mark of the year

If Tanev shows his age and declines quickly as is possible we need 2 top4 D at which point we need to toss this season and wait until summer when Marner and Tavarea deals expire ajd can assess our team build again.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lets wait and see first how a top 3 of Rielly, Tanev, amd McCabe soes before being so assured that they are good enough to be a cup winning backend

If they perform well, a big move for one of the names you noted makes sense ideally around midway mark of the year

If Tanev shows his age and declines quickly as is possible we need 2 top4 D at which point we need to toss this season and wait until summer when Marner and Tavarea deals expire ajd can assess our team build again.

There is no tossing this season or any other season that Auston Matthews is on this team.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
There is no tossing this season or any other season that Auston Matthews is on this team.
This season will be a toss if the defense struggles and Tavares doesnt bounce back. The coach and management group may not wish for that, but the quality of the team will sort itself out and result in a quick playoffs exit

Dont have the assets to go out and make a major move

Treliving summer showed he wasnt looking to make a major change tobthe team, and he took gambles on Tanev and OEL being good fits and the missing piece to win

We are banking on Berube to be the answer. This team on paper is not better than 2021-2024 leaf teams, just hoping that his system and coaching is what was missing.

If that isnt the case, it will he the same group of players who have come up short playing R1 vs Bos or FlR most likely.

The actual contention can begin from 2024-2025 if we use the ~22M capspace being freed up to add 3-4 major pieces who outperform their AAVs (our reinhart, verhaghe, montour etc)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're correct Leafs are lacking a true #1 Dman.

However that solution was to either draft one instead of drafting wingers, and when the Leafs signed Tavares it should have resulted in Marner or Nylander being traded for a #1/top pairing Dman.

Instead of signing Tavares the Leafs should have waited and used that $$ on local Ontario born Alex Pietrangelo a UFA, who has now lead 2 teams STL and Vegas to Stanley Cups since Leafs signed Taveras.

1726925390860.png
1726925472504.png

Alex Pietrangelo on the Cup winning ST. Louis Blues & Vegas Golden Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad