Proposal: EDM - Trade the big 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He was afraid to do nothing. And he was an awful judge of talent. Holland hasn't been much better, but doing nothing isn't helping.

In fairness to Holland, its not like there are star goaltenders available this time of year... He swung and missed in the offseason due to an Avs over-payment.

To me the bigger issue is the Oilers style of play. They give up too many prime scoring chances and need to sacrifice offense for a better defensive system. Any average starting goaltender would look bad on the Oilers.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I see the Oilers got massacred 6-0. Was wondering the impetus for this ridiculous thread.

Oilers need leadership, a better defensive system and a star goaltender. Until that happens, they will never be a contender. Trading McDrai doesn't change these problems.

Sounds like a lot to address without any cap space going forward. Draisaitl only has 3 years left after this season, by the time the Oilers get it together (if they ever do) the player is walking into UFA at that point.

They could get a kings ransom for him now and try and re-balance the team, I definitely would not trust Ken Holland with that task though.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i havnt read any of the posts . you don't get rid of the big two . you get rid of one guy . HOLLAND. i'm a habs fan . i hope we finish last . i'd like to see the oilers do well . any canadian team . your paying him 5 million and his body of work is brutal . cut your losses . let the year play out and get rid of him . it is so brutally obvious .

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sounds like a lot to address without any cap space going forward. Draisaitl only has 3 years left after this season, by the time the Oilers get it together (if they ever do) the player is walking into UFA at that point.

They could get a kings ransom for him now and try and re-balance the team, I definitely would not trust Ken Holland with that task though.

Sure they can rebalance the team, but if they keep playing the kind of system they have that allows high-end chances, they will still lose when it counts - in the playoffs. There is a reason the Jets swept them in the playoffs. Oilers need to change the system to keep shots from the outside and help the depth players become more impactful. Right now, if the Oilers are not going a million miles an hour (like they were in the first period last night), which is unsustainable, then they are giving up prime chances.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
of course EDM wouldn't do this

but also NYR wouldn't do it. and McD would hate New York market

and the Drai proposal doesn't seem fair to EDM

real world sports can be slightly different than video games or fantasy sports
The Cap is real, meaning teams need guys on 1st/2nd contracts
teams have identities,
and there really can be "horses for courses"

the way to fix Oilers is thru effort, research and some risk, but not 'silver bullets'

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
To San Jose:

McDavid

to Edmonton:

Hertl*, LeBanc, Ryan Merkeley, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 2023 2nd*

*condition: if Hertl doesn't resign in Edmonton, the conditional 2023 2nd is added. (edit: Sharks don't have their 2022 2nd)

all picks not lottery protected

Last edited:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Sure they can rebalance the team, but if they keep playing the kind of system they have that allows high-end chances, they will still lose when it counts - in the playoffs. There is a reason the Jets swept them in the playoffs. Oilers need to change the system to keep shots from the outside and help the depth players become more impactful. Right now, if the Oilers are not going a million miles an hour (like they were in the first period last night), which is unsustainable, then they are giving up prime chances.

No argument here, their coaching and systems are terrible. But even a prime Scotty Bowman wouldn’t get much out of this poorly constructed roster. Blowing the cap space Holland had on Keith, Barrie and Ceci is a fireable offense. There’s just negative value all over the roster

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
First trade isn't horrible from Oil fan POV, but I don't get what's supposed to be sexy about the second one.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Any trade for McDavid or Drai has to start with your teams best player + quality quantity

ie...McDavid to Rangers for Fox + Laf + Georgiev + 1st 2022

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
No thanks from a sens POV. Offer is what I’d expect but you’re forgetting how cheap Melnyk is and with McDavid’s salary being all tied into signing bonuses he’d probably suffer a massive heart attack.

I'm not seeing the problem.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
If Oilers trade McDavid to Rangers they will ask for Fox and Shesterkin. I doubt Rangers will agree to this.

As to Draisaitl to Minny the ask is going to be Kaprizov and Rossi. Minnesota won't probably be happy too.

And why would they? If we trade Fox and Sheterkin for McDavid we essentially become the New Edmonton with just McDavid and Panarin instead of McDavid and Drai.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If the Avs could get McDavid, I'd be willing to part with Byram and Newhook. Something like Burakovsky (could be used in a rental trade, or if he fits, keep him), Byram, Newhook, Girard and Jost. Would be a massive hit to team depth, but the hilarity of seeing Makar, MacKinnon and McDavid breaking up the ice repeatedly would be worth it...from a fan perspective, may completely wreck their ability to compete without said depth.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
wow I was joking but leaf fans are seriously thinking they'll get mcdavid for marner +.

wow now the mods are joining he party too! To wonder the leafs fanbase is so delusional.

marner + 1st + tons of cap dumps.

I'm sure Edm is dying to add a soft overpaid winger to their team :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If McDavid was to go to NYR, Holland would for sure ask for Fox coming back. No doubt about it.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Draisatl for Fox one for one makes sense for Edmonton. They would be stupid not to take this deal if it was on the table.

Reactions: LDN

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Counter offer from an Habs fan :
To Habs :
MacKinnon
Makar
To Colorado :
a Kent Hughes hair
Marc Bergevin's old protein shake
To Colorado
All Habs fake fans ( Haters )

To Montreal
Nothing as fake fans ( Haters ) have no value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad