Proposal: EDM/TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I would think that Edm will want to let Kosk walk next year to give Skinner a real opportunity as the backup.
It will offer cost savings as well.

I can see us wanting an experienced and cheap #3 next year for when Smith gets hurt (hah).

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I mean you’re bottom half of the league in goals allowed and second last in shots against. If the big boys offence dries up a bit, it’s not unreasonable to think they could struggle. Certainly more than they have thus far,
If any top teams top players struggle they’re likely due for a drop off no?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Why would Edmonton make this trade? Koskinen and Skinner are both playing very well for Edmonton this season while Smith is injured. Kos will be a UFA at the end of the season and Edmonton has no reason to believe that Mrazek is a long term option.

Edmonton should be looking at getting a long term option in the net this coming off season or the offseason after that.
Skinner looks to be a legit back-up.

If Edmonton doesn't find a goalie to be a long term starter in the coming off-season: We go with Skinner and Smith next season and cross our fingers that they stay healthy. Smith probably looking at playing 50 games.
If Edmonton waits another year to find a long term option for starting goalie: Smith walks and Skinner is our #2 behind whoever comes along.

Both options are better than taking a chance on Mrazek.

Reactions: spaghtti

The90

Feb 27, 2017
If any top teams top players struggle they’re likely due for a drop off no?
Totally. But you’d expect a slight drop back to the mean with these two as opposed to a guy producing at a pace 40 points higher than his career year through 9 games. But what do I know.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Koskinen is awful. The Oilers D and goaltending are some of the worst in the NHL.

No way Toronto does this.

Maybe Oilers D has something to do with koskinen beeing awful though? 14gp and 12w is really shit...

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Totally. But you’d expect a slight drop back to the mean with these two as opposed to a guy producing at a pace 40 points higher than his career year through 9 games. But what do I know.
Why are we using a 9 game sample? You lost me there. And not sure which player you’re referring to specifically between the two but if you mean Drai, he’s been trending up quite highly for 4 years now. I’ll admit I doubted his level for the first year or two as well and attributed it to McDavid, but this level can’t be contributed to one players impact on another. If you mean McDavid, his ppg has been heading in the 2 ppg pace for the 3rd year now. Are or Drai going to finish at 2ppg. I’d say unlikely at best, however your post referred to the offence “drying up” which implies a significant drop off, which I don’t think will necessarily happen. Nothings impossible obviously, but betting against the two highest scoring players in the league that have proved it for years now seems like a bad bet

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Why are we using a 9 game sample? You lost me there. And not sure which player you’re referring to specifically between the two but if you mean Drai, he’s been trending up quite highly for 4 years now. I’ll admit I doubted his level for the first year or two as well and attributed it to McDavid, but this level can’t be contributed to one players impact on another. If you mean McDavid, his ppg has been heading in the 2 ppg pace for the 3rd year now. Are or Drai going to finish at 2ppg. I’d say unlikely at best, however your post referred to the offence “drying up” which implies a significant drop off, which I don’t think will necessarily happen. Nothings impossible obviously, but betting against the two highest scoring players in the league that have proved it for years now seems like a bad bet
I mean we both know the 9 games is a reference to your comments on pld after his first 5 games and nothing at all to do with mcdrai.

I guess my point for edmonton is that the style they’re winning their games reminds me of leaf teams in the past living and dying by the sword and scoring as many goals as possible at the expense of a bit of defence. I don’t think they’ll fall off crazy numbers at all and I think they’re both nasty players. But I do think that they’ll once again struggle in the playoffs as a team if that mindset doesn’t change. The exact same as I feel about the leafs, who I still think have a ways to go to be considered seriously as defensive stalwarts. We’ll see what the leafs are like when Campbell inevitably cools down for a stretch.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Why would Edmonton make this trade? Koskinen and Skinner are both playing very well for Edmonton this season while Smith is injured. Kos will be a UFA at the end of the season and Edmonton has no reason to believe that Mrazek is a long term option.

Edmonton should be looking at getting a long term option in the net this coming off season or the offseason after that.
Skinner looks to be a legit back-up.

If Edmonton doesn't find a goalie to be a long term starter in the coming off-season: We go with Skinner and Smith next season and cross our fingers that they stay healthy. Smith probably looking at playing 50 games.
If Edmonton waits another year to find a long term option for starting goalie: Smith walks and Skinner is our #2 behind whoever comes along.

Both options are better than taking a chance on Mrazek.
Mrazek isn't supposed to be a long term option in this scenario, he's a 2.5 year bandaid while you develop Skinner and you save 700k on the cap in there short term. My impression was that Skinner is the long term solution

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Mrazek isn't supposed to be a long term option in this scenario, he's a 2.5 year bandaid while you develop Skinner and you save 700k on the cap in there short term. My impression was that Skinner is the long term solution

Oilers have enough band-aids over the years (Smith and Kosko). Zero interest in Mrazek.

Oilers tried to sign Markstrom but were outbid by the Flames.

Skinner was great in the AHL last season but before that he was tracking poorly. Can't say he's starter material yet nor the solution long-term.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I mean we both know the 9 games is a reference to your comments on pld after his first 5 games and nothing at all to do with mcdrai.

I guess my point for edmonton is that the style they’re winning their games reminds me of leaf teams in the past living and dying by the sword and scoring as many goals as possible at the expense of a bit of defence. I don’t think they’ll fall off crazy numbers at all and I think they’re both nasty players. But I do think that they’ll once again struggle in the playoffs as a team if that mindset doesn’t change. The exact same as I feel about the leafs, who I still think have a ways to go to be considered seriously as defensive stalwarts. We’ll see what the leafs are like when Campbell inevitably cools down for a stretch.
So you were again bringing a conversation that had nothing to do with the jets and PLD back to them just because I was the one that made a comment? Are you serious? No I didn’t know that. I assumed since the topic was on Edm we were discussing Edm.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Leafs fan were saying the same thing last year about Hyman . Hyman was going to sign a team friendly deal no way he would sign in Edmonton . If a goalie is coming over from TML it is Campbell or bust and if i am TML no way I let him make it to UFA
It’s long been understood Hyman did have a deal in place with Toronto but Toronto wouldn’t give him a NMC.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Despite what some people think the Oilers are not likely to deal for a goalie with term, unless maybe he's a top 5-10 starter on a reasonable contract. I don't see such a player being available. This is because the Oilers have a young goalie that they likely expect to be the backup next year in Stuart Skinner, who's been impressive this year, and Smith their current injured starter signed for next season too. Not only that but they have a major cap crunch coming, that a cheap combo of Smith-Skinner can help mitigate. Koskinen being moved in a deal to acquire a better backup/co-starter is possible but I don't think it's an automatic either. Smith was outstanding last year, the Oilers will wait for him to get healthy and see if he can pick up where he left off and if he can they likely don't make a deal since they'd have a legit starter in Smith, a quality backup in Koskinen, and a promising young #3 in Skinner who might even be the best goalie on the team.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

The Oilers definitely need to tighten things up defensively and I think you’ll see improvements in those areas as the season moves on. Overall the team has done a good job of improving their play in areas that are made a focus.

You spoke about what would happen if the offence dried up for this team but take a look at the hurdles they’ve had to face defensively. They have a top pairing defender in his prime and on a great contract basically retires because of arthritis, then their #3 D-man leaves in free agency the following summer. This season they’ve been without their #1 goalie basically the entire year, and recently they’ve been missing 2/3 of their blue line including their #1 who eats a ton of tough minutes. Any team who experiences those kind of roster issues over barely a year period is going to have some struggles defensively.

Reactions: GOilers88 and Dache

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The Oilers definitely need to tighten things up defensively and I think you’ll see improvements in those areas as the season moves on. Overall the team has done a good job of improving their play in areas that are made a focus.

You spoke about what would happen if the offence dried up for this team but take a look at the hurdles they’ve had to face defensively. They have a top pairing defender in his prime and on a great contract basically retires because of arthritis, then their #3 D-man leaves in free agency the following summer. This season they’ve been without their #1 goalie basically the entire year, and recently they’ve been missing 2/3 of their blue line including their #1 who eats a ton of tough minutes. Any team who experiences those kind of roster issues over barely a year period is going to have some struggles defensively.
I understand that. But none of those things refute my point. The klefbom situation sucks for everybody.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I mean you’re bottom half of the league in goals allowed and second last in shots against. If the big boys offence dries up a bit, it’s not unreasonable to think they could struggle. Certainly more than they have thus far,
And first in zone time possession and winning percentage. Shots isn't everything. The Oilers hold onto the puck and move it around for prime chances, that's why they also lead the league in shooting percentage. The Oilers have the best two players in the league, the offense isn't any more likely to dry up for them as anyone else.

Reactions: McNuge and TFHockey

The90

Feb 27, 2017
And first in zone time possession and winning percentage. Shots isn't everything. The Oilers hold onto the puck and move it around for prime chances, that's why they also lead the league in shooting percentage. The Oilers have the best two players in the league, the offense isn't any more likely to dry up for them as anyone else.
I guess we’ll see. I don’t think it literally dries up more than the big boys move closer to their career averages of the last say 2/3 years. I know they’re both going to put up god like numbers.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Mrazek is not a big time no.1 goalie, if the Oilers have any interest in a Leafs goalie it would be Campbell in the summer and for that you want to keep cap room open not commit several more seasons for a Mrazek.

Smith is back skating anyway, probably is not far off, Koskinen has been winning a ton of games so it's not like it's some immediate emergency.

The Oilers would more likely target someone with big time playoff experience at the deadline like Marc Andre Fleury and then go after someone like Campbell as a UFA in the summer as the long term target.

I think the Oilers should target Quick . Kings fans seem ok with retaining cap . It going to take a 1st + to get it done and some cheap contract would have to go back . Maybe Smith could go the other way and run with Quick and Skinner next year .

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
two part trade:

2021-2022 season

to TOR McDavid, Nurse and Draisitle with 95% retained
to EDM future considerations

2022-2023 Season
To EDM: Marner, McDavid, Matthews, Tavares, Rielly, Campbell, Nurse
To TOR: Future considerations
2023-2024 reset teams to the same

Ad

Upcoming events