Proposal: EDM/TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Tell that to your fellow Leafs fan @34 not me. But you won’t.
He did. He said his point was dumb and that your point was dumb too. His point was that it's just a bunch of bull shit that's being argued. Both teams are good, he's right if he's implying the mental gymnastics to diminish either based on division is pointless to any meaningful discussion. The records are what they are, discuss the proposal instead of being dragged into a flame war. In saying all that I personally have a hard time calling your point dumb considering it was completely true and obviously shows how idiotic his point was. I just wouldn't get too invested in it, because it is dumb to worry about it too much.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Ok... so now you are starting to get it.

We agree that Mrazek isn't a long term solution and neither is Koskinen. They are both band-aids.

But this is what you aren't getting:
  • Why would we sign up for another two years of a $3.8M for a bandaid? You haven't answered that.
  • Wouldn't we rather have Koskinen's full $4.5M off the books to spend, if we want, on any UFA goalie available?...
  • Smith is still signed for $2M in the "vet mentor to Skinner" role for next year. That's a much better use of cash.
  • If Smith is healthy and Skinner is solid, we are good for next year
  • If Smith is healthy and Skinner is terrible, well then we have $4.5M to spend on a goalie
  • If Smith LTIR'd, well then we have up to $6.5M for a goalie which opens up many long term options
  • Trading for Mrazek just perpetuates this circle of band-aid solutions. If Skinner isn't the long term solution, we're going to need to find one. Mrazek's salary would prevent us from being able to do that
What free agent goalie, where? Who's available next summer?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Mrazek isn't supposed to be a long term option in this scenario, he's a 2.5 year bandaid while you develop Skinner and you save 700k on the cap in there short term. My impression was that Skinner is the long term solution

Marazek isn't good enough to carry the load.
Carolina's style of play and stupidly deep blueline inflated his stats.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
What free agent goalie, where? Who's available next summer?

This seems like moving the goalposts. And clearly you didn't read the post, the point is have optionality and cap space for either: i) UFA, ii) trade for a long term solution, iii) do nothing if Skinner is good and Smith is healthy and bank the cap for the deadline.

But to simplify for you: how about anyone but Mrazek? The last season that he played a starter's workload with a SPCT above league average was 2016.

You seem oddly invested in this when there isn't a single Oilers fan who sees Mrazek as a good fit. And it isn't like you are out here presenting the most logical arguments in favor of it. Seems you are just being argumentative.

Reactions: Dache

Trooth

Dec 5, 2021
Mrazek and his contract would be just as bad as what the Oilers are currently dealing with in Koskinen.. but extends it for an additional 2 years.. Too much money for a 1B goalie and the talent just isn't there. Terrible.

The Oilers are just better off moving on from Koskinen at years end if he's not willing to take a significant cut and try to get a a true upgrade or sign another 1B to a 1 year deal. There are about 20 goalies in the NHL that rank 20 - 40 in the NHL and could be a short term solution if a long term one does not materialize.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad