Proposal: EDM/TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
They knew they had to re-sign Campbell when they signed Mrazek. Him getting injured doesn't magically make him a cap dump to the Maple Leafs.

I don't disagree with the idea of moving Mrazek to free up cap for next season. But, doing it right now, while his value is low is probably not wise. They signed him for this season knowing Campbell was in house. Let him get healthy, play his way into positive value, get 1B goaltending for the rest of the year and at years end when he has two years on his deal, ship him to the highest bidder.

Reactions: ACC1224

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Not only are they free of him, he's currently having the better season as well. Why downgrade and saddle yourself with another iffy goalie for another three years? I think it's an easy no from Edmonton.
While this is certainly true, the body of work in its totality would lead you to question whether Koskinen can keep this up. It's a really impressive run, though.

By contrast, Mrazek is hurt. So agreed; you'd really have to believe Mrazek is a big upgrade for the Oilers to go for this one, and I'm not sure how many believe in him that strongly. He's only alright and he's signed to term, making him a less attractive asset than the inconsistent Koskinen, whose contract is up soon. I don't think there's any question that the next big roster upgrade step for Edmonton is to find a significant upgrade in net, and Mrazek wouldn't really be that significant a bump.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
While this is certainly true, the body of work in its totality would lead you to question whether Koskinen can keep this up. It's a really impressive run, though.

By contrast, Mrazek is hurt. So agreed; you'd really have to believe Mrazek is a big upgrade for the Oilers to go for this one, and I'm not sure how many believe in him that strongly. He's only alright and he's signed to term, making him a less attractive asset than the inconsistent Koskinen, whose contract is up soon. I don't think there's any question that the next big roster upgrade step for Edmonton is to find a significant upgrade in net, and Mrazek wouldn't really be that significant a bump.
Agreed.

I think the hope is that Koskinen and Skinner can continue what they're doing until Mike Smith returns. When they see how Smith rebounds maybe they make a move closer to the deadline. Koskinen certainly could fall apart, but so far 1/4 way through the season things look good so yeah trading for an injured goalie doesn't make a lot of sense on top of the other points you made.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Agreed.

I think the hope is that Koskinen and Skinner can continue what they're doing until Mike Smith returns. When they see how Smith rebounds maybe they make a move closer to the deadline. Koskinen certainly could fall apart, but so far 1/4 way through the season things look good so yeah trading for an injured goalie doesn't make a lot of sense on top of the other points you made.
Sub .900 sv% in 5 of his last 6 games and 25th among the league in that department while 26th in the league in gaa... Yep, looking real good. The thing about injuries is that it isn't a permanent state

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Edmonton easily says no. They don't particularly want Koskinen or Mrazek. So better to go with the devil you know, who's playing well, and is on an expiring contract. That way they can go chase a goalie they do want.

Meanwhile, Toronto didn't sign Mrazek for nothing. This injury is poorly timed, but it doesn't change their entire plan in goal. They will be happy to keep the guy they signed. I'm sure they're confident that they can keep him and Campbell going forward. Toronto also says no.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Sub .900 sv% in 5 of his last 6 games and 25th among the league in that department while 26th in the league in gaa... Yep, looking real good. The thing about injuries is that it isn't a permanent state
So we disregard his whole season to date in favor of 5 games? Who plays in goal for Edmonton while Mrazek is injured?

I don't care about his last 5 games. I care about his entire 11-2 record and his 2.89/.912 SV% over the whole season to date.

He's been fine. There's absolutely no reason to saddle themselves with another leaky goalie for three seasons when Koskinen is currently the better option in net and actually able to play. And again he's off the books after this season.

Oilers fans are telling you we're okay with Koskinen over Mrazek. I don't know why that's rustling your jimmies. You wanna propose a deal around Koskinen and Campbell you'd probably have a more favorable discussion, but clearly that's a non starter.

Last edited:

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
So we disregard his whole season to date in favor of 5 games? Who plays in goal for Edmonton while Mrazek is injured?

I don't care about his last 5 games. I care about his entire 11-2 record and his 2.89/.912 SV% over the whole season to date.

He's been fine. There's absolutely no reason to saddle themselves with another leaky goalie for three seasons when Koskinen is currently the better option in net and actually able to play. And again he's off the books after this season.

Oilers fans are telling you we're okay with Koskinen over Mrazek. I don't know why that's rustling your jimmies. You wanna propose a deal around Koskinen and Campbell you'd probably have a more favorable discussion, but clearly that's a non starter.
Lol, rustling my jimmies? I'm just playing devils advocate to your objections. Isn't that the whole point?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Lol, rustling my jimmies? I'm just playing devils advocate to your objections. Isn't that the whole point?
There's no real argument to be made though. Edmonton has already lost its starter long term to injury, and you want them to trade their other starter who is doing fine this year and finally off the books at the end of the season for another guy that is injured, and signed for another three years who has only posted marginally better numbers over his career than the guy you're inquiring about.

It makes no real sense from an Oilers pov.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
This really doesn't make sense for the Oilers.

Smith is injured, so they're not trading their de facto starter for a guy who hasn't even come back from his own injury, and who knows how long he'll stay healthy. And health aside, while Mrazek is the better goalie (get out of here with wins, as if Koskinen is carrying the Oilers on his back...) I don't think the Oilers are interested in adding the term. I see them going cheap next year, and betting on Smith/Skinner.

IMO, there's no real point in moving Mrazek right now anyway. He's at his lowest value. With the Leafs playing the way they are he should post some decent numbers when he gets back and should be easily movable in the summer.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
This really doesn't make sense for the Oilers.

Smith is injured, so they're not trading their de facto starter for a guy who hasn't even come back from his own injury, and who knows how long he'll stay healthy. And health aside, while Mrazek is the better goalie (get out of here with wins, as if Koskinen is carrying the Oilers on his back...) I don't think the Oilers are interested in adding the term. I see them going cheap next year, and betting on Smith/Skinner.

IMO, there's no real point in moving Mrazek right now anyway. He's at his lowest value. With the Leafs playing the way they are he should post some decent numbers when he gets back and should be easily movable in the summer.

Truthfully, Oiler fans are as surprised as anyone Koskinen has been as good as he has been. Hell he stole the Vegas game for us. It figures he waited until a contract year to be any good :laugh:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
An upgrade? Who's going to give you a better goalie for a bad goalie who's currently on a bit of a heater and an expiring contract?
Teams trade players at the deadline every year. We will find out what teams are moving goalies closer to then. Some possibilities could include Los Angeles (Quick had been discussed here already), or the Islanders (Varlamov). Other goalies might shake loose as the season moves on. Regardless, Mrazek isn't an upgrade and therefore isn't an option.

Reactions: spaghtti

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's unlikely to happen
Why is that exactly? It's not like the Leafs have much cap space opening up this offseason. In fact, the only money they have freeing up (Kessel's retention, two cheap UFA's - which aren't really freeing anything up as those guys need to be re-signed or replaced for similar money) doesn't cover the increase Reilly's contract. Are we expecting Dubas to make a big trade? And that's not even considering the new contracts for any RFA's like Sandin and Liljegren. It's going to be hard for Toronto to keep Campbell, especially if he keeps putting up the numbers he has so far this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad