Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign D Cody Ceci (4 years, $3.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Forward group is marginally better, but I'd figure they spread out the Hyman 5.5 acquiring more depth and not on a single player.

No doubt the Dcore (as it stands today) is worse than last year, yet somehow more expensive.

Alot will come down to how Mike Smith plays, once again.
Forward group is marginally better?
Out: Neal,Chiasson,Kahun,Khaira
In: Hyman,Foegele,Ryan

More like night n day

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
this contract is iffy

if the Oilers get the Pens version of Ceci, it'll be all good - he's still young at 27 and will only be 31 when the contract expires. at least in Edmonton, he won't be expected to do any of the heavy lifting and can play to his strengths

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ceci isn't anything more than a 6/7 D.

This is a bad bad contract
6/7 D who has averaged over 20mins TOI for almost all of his career and was over 22 in playoffs.

But from a TML fans' point of view Barrie and Ceci are probably both 6/7 Dmen because that's how they performed in Toronto.

Reactions: Crabapple

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
He’s the definition of inconsistent. One game he looks like a legitimate second pair defensemen and the next he’s a livability who’s mind can’t keep up with the game. I wanted to like him during his tenure with the Leafs but at the end of the day the bad games outnumbered the good. He’s still a decent body given limited availability. That being said, I wouldn’t want him playing anything but bottom pairing/insurance in the event of an injury.
Prior to his time with the Pens he was inconsistent but through most of the year he was probably the Penguins most consistent defenseman (after his very first game when he sucked). He tailed off towards the end (perhaps because he was asked to play too much) but he was very consistent throughout the year for the Penguins. To be honest it surprised the heck out of me. I expected him to be the second coming of Jack Johnson but he was solid for the Pens. If he is not asked to do too much he should be fine although I still hate the term and money.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The cost is high but all Canadian teams are having trouble getting FAs.

As for the term, it's no coincidence that his deal ends just as Draisaitl's ends. That cap space is reserved for Draisaitl's raise anyway.

Ceci is a good D. If hes on the bottom pairing, then it is a deep D core. But he should do well on the 2nd pairing

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
this contract is iffy

if the Oilers get the Pens version of Ceci, it'll be all good - he's still young at 27 and will only be 31 when the contract expires. at least in Edmonton, he won't be expected to do any of the heavy lifting and can play to his strengths

Nah.

Ceci sucked anytime he was used as more than a bottom pair D. He was amazing when sheltered but then horrid when his usage jumped up to a middle pair D level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Holland doubled down on a player that will be in his prime during this deal. In a perfect world, Bouchard comes in and claims a top 4 spot in camp and Ceci is our 3RD and provides a solid 2 way D that can PK well in that capacity. IMO he seems to have righted his game a bit the last 2 seasons, not sure what next season and beyond will look like but he seems like a real wild card for us.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
The cost is high but all Canadian teams are having trouble getting FAs.

As for the term, it's no coincidence that his deal ends just as Draisaitl's ends. That cap space is reserved for Draisaitl's raise anyway.

Ceci is a good D. If hes on the bottom pairing, then it is a deep D core. But he should do well on the 2nd pairing

I watched Cody Ceci play a lot of hockey and while he’s obviously an NHL player, he isn’t a good.
He processes the game too slowly, and absolutely should not be in your top 4 if you want to win anything.
Playing him 16-17 min in the 3rd pair probably won’t kill you.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I watched Cody Ceci play a lot of hockey and while he’s obviously an NHL player, he isn’t a good.
He processes the game too slowly, and absolutely should not be in your top 4 if you want to win anything.
Playing him 16-17 min in the 3rd pair probably won’t kill you.
Why did the pens play him 18 and 1/2 then?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
this contract is iffy

Are the Oilers planning on playing him on the third pairing? Or second? If he's on the third, he'll probably be fine. If he's on the second, then you'll likely get the second half of the season version of Ceci.

Why did the pens play him 18 and 1/2 then?

His minutes were inflated because of injuries to the other defenders. When the roster was healthy, Ceci slotted in around 5th in ES ice time, but got used on the PK since neither Matheson or Pettersson really get used in that role.

He performed really well early in the year when he was sheltered on the third pairing, but his play dipped noticeably when Marino/Pettersson struggled/got hurt and the Matheson/Ceci pairing was elevated to the 2nd pairing minutes.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I just hope he is on the 3rd pair with Lagesson or Samurokov (dont trade him Holland you idiot)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Not surprised he got that contract. I thought it would be closer to 2.5-3 range considering the economic climate but its not the only contract that surprised me.

Solid 4/5 dman who formed a good partnership with Matheson and was one of the shrewder signing last off season as Ceci really stepped up when the Pens ran into ludicrous D injuries last year. Also led the Pens in PK TOI in a fairly effective role there.

Of all the regular pairings on the team, Ceci/Matheson led the 1st place Pens in both xGF% and goal differential. If you include his underrated time with the Leafs, he has one of the lower Goals against/60 REL in the league over the last two years, probably due teams having trouble creating High Danger chances when he is on the ice.

If he can continue the offensive renaissance he had with the Pens last year, the contract might be looking pretty good but still a little rich even for a a guy who sticks up for him around here like me.

Reactions: snipes

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Has he been healthy recently? I thought he’s very injury prone but maybe he’s over that?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Ceci sucks so badly that the Pens are sad he’s leaving

Ceci doesn't suck, he's an okay 3rd pairing Dman. $3.25 mill is too much for what he brings considering another $3 mill will need to be spent on the LHD sheltering him

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I love seeing all the salty toronto and ottawa fans come in and bash the guy while pittsburgh fans are like "yeah hes good if hes not overworked".

What makes it even better is we know neither of those fan bases watched any Pittsburgh games last year with the Canadian division on it's own.

Hopefully we get the Pittsburgh Ceci.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I love seeing all the salty toronto and ottawa fans come in and bash the guy while pittsburgh fans are like "yeah hes good if hes not overworked".

What makes it even better is we know neither of those fan bases watched any Pittsburgh games last year with the Canadian division on it's own.

Hopefully we get the Pittsburgh Ceci.

In defence of Ottawa fans, we did see him on our team for a much longer period than Pittsburgh fans saw him on their team. In Ottawa, he was regularly in the top 4 playing about 22 minutes a night. That didn’t work. In a third pairing role, he would likely be better.

The way I see it, and I could be wrong, but it seems to me like Edmonton wants him in their top 4, which is a mistake. They gave him a 4 year deal at 3.25 per season. My guess is they see him as more than just a third pairing guy. Don’t come crying to me if the guy ends up being bad in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad