Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign D Cody Ceci (4 years, $3.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Even if it were a panic move, it was a decent gamble. We needed someone who could approximate Larsson's role. Options were limited. Ceci has at least played in the top 4 on teams. Hes also young enough that he could still learn and progress. A lot of dmen dont hit their prime until 26-28 years old.
Yup, Homonic Vatanen Gudbranson were other names .. 2 of them still unsigned so Ceci vs Hamonic the only question here

cyberpunk

Feb 7, 2009
This thread still going on about Cody Ceci. Sounds like Oiler fans pumping him and other fans dumping on him lol

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Even if it were a panic move, it was a decent gamble. We needed someone who could approximate Larsson's role. Options were limited. Ceci has at least played in the top 4 on teams. Hes also young enough that he could still learn and progress. A lot of dmen dont hit their prime until 26-28 years old.
The players Bouchard and Ceci are replacing haven't been that impressive. Even Larsson wasn't that great for the Oilers except his first season on the team. I was always a fan of him for being physical but People talk like the Oilers lost some rock solid d-man that consistently played well and did everything great. He mostly struggled the past 3 seasons. He played pretty good this past season but him and Kulikov were probably the Oilers worst defense pairing down the stretch. Bear was the worst regular defenseman the Oilers had last season. Ideally the Oilers would have improved their defense but I don't see much of a downgrade. Looks more like the status quo going into next season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For a guy considered such a liability in his own end, other teams sure have a difficult time scoring goals (and creating high danger chances) when he is on the ice the last couple years. Lets give it another year before we pass judgement I guess but if he continues the same trajectory he is on, the Oilers are going to be very happy with that contract, especially if he can continue to produce 5v5 points.

If you break down Ceci's performance at the beginning of the season when he was getting 3rd pairing sheltered minutes, versus later in the season when he got bumped up to the Pens' 2nd pairing when Marino started to struggle and got reduced minutes, you'll notice the drop in overall performance analytically.

First 36 games:
TOI/GP 15:22 (5th among regular D)
SA/60 - 28.4 (1st among regular D)
GA/60 - 1.3 (1st)
xGA/60 - 1.89 (1st)
SCA/60 - 22.95 (2nd)
HDCA/60 - 8.4 (1st)

Last 20 games:
TOI/GP - 15:58 (4th among regular D)
SA/60 - 33.23 (last among regular D)
GA/60 - 3.19 (last)
xGA/60 - 2.59 (last)
SCA/60 - 27.79 (last)
HDCA/60 - 12.2 (last)

It was literally night and day when he was used as a third pairing guy versus how he performed when he was in a second pairing role.

Or in other words, he's fine in a sheltered 3rd pairing role, but starts to get exposed when he's given top 4 minutes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Hyman
Nurse
Barrie
Keith

Only a troll would call the Oilers a non playoff team.

It wouldn’t be in the East.

Lucky to be in the West. I hope you don’t consider that list impressive

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If you break down Ceci's performance at the beginning of the season when he was getting 3rd pairing sheltered minutes, versus later in the season when he got bumped up to the Pens' 2nd pairing when Marino started to struggle and got reduced minutes, you'll notice the drop in overall performance analytically.

First 36 games:
GA/60 - 1.3 (1st)
xGA/60 - 1.89 (1st)
SCA/60 - 22.95 (2nd)
HDCA/60 - 8.4 (1st)

Last 20 games:
GA/60 - 3.19 (last)
xGA/60 - 2.59 (last)
SCA/60 - 27.79 (last)
HDCA/60 - 12.2 (last)

It was literally night and day when he was used as a third pairing guy versus how he performed when he was in a second pairing role.

Or in other words, he's fine in a sheltered 3rd pairing role, but starts to get exposed when he's given top 4 minutes.

I agree. Based on past performance, Ceci is a 3rd pairing Dman. Holland overpaid on a hope and a prayer that he could still grow into a 2nd pairing Dman because there was literally shit out in FA for RHD. I, for one, will not hold my breath.

My biggest issue with this signing is; why gamble on him FOR 4 YEARS at a 2nd pairing Dman value when he has NEVER shown he can be competent in that role when given the opportunity.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

First 36 games:
GA/60 - 1.3 (1st)
xGA/60 - 1.89 (1st)
SCA/60 - 22.95 (2nd)
HDCA/60 - 8.4 (1st)

Last 20 games:
GA/60 - 3.19 (last)
xGA/60 - 2.59 (last)
SCA/60 - 27.79 (last)
HDCA/60 - 12.2 (last)

I found when Ceci was on the Leafs, he could handle the QoC just fine and it mattered more who his partner was to complement what Ceci brought.

For example, Ceci did incredibly well when paired with Muzzin against top level QoC to close out games or on the PK and found some real chemistry with the Sandin kid in a non sheltered role before Ceci got hurt and Sandin has never had those kind of numbers with any other partner. Ceci also underwhelmed with any of the other top 3 D's though but was fine on the 3rd pair with Dermott.

Ceci's best partner on the Pens appears to have been Matheson as they led all pairings with 100+ minutes in xGF% and posted an also team leading 62.45 GF%. Were they the third pairing?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This thread still going on about Cody Ceci. Sounds like Oiler fans pumping him and other fans dumping on him lol
pumping him up? show your work..
This thread is another bash Oilers thread. Neither Oilers fans nor others really care about this player..

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I agree. Based on past performance, Ceci is a 3rd pairing Dman. Holland overpaid on a hope and a prayer that he could still grow into a 2nd pairing Dman because there was literally shit out in FA for RHD. I, for one, will not hold my breath.

My biggest issue with this signing is; why gamble on him FOR 4 YEARS at a 2nd pairing Dman value when he has NEVER shown he can be competent in that role when given the opportunity.
I agree that it's a big gamble but he has played a 2nd pair well in Ottawa. I'm not sure what Toronto did to him, but I am hoping that we get Ottawa's version rather than Toronto's.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

A decent gamble would be a 3 year term at $2M. Ceci might mature in his prime but it's risky... you could end up with another contract you got to buy out or add a future to unload. Smarter move would be to sign him for a 1 year deal and then explore the market again next off season. There are a lot of Ceci's available every off season

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
pumping him up? show your work..
This thread is another bash Oilers thread. Neither Oilers fans nor others really care about this player..

I don't believe this is a Oilers bashing thread. Ceci at 4 years was risky. If the Habs signed him for that, you would say the same thing. He don't suck but you also don't overpay in both AAV and term for a guy who is inconsistent.

Could work out yes. But no doubt about it... it was on the risky side of things. Not detrimental but risky in terms of how valuable cap space is year to year

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ceci was amazing to start the year. It was legitimately shocking how good he was for the first half of the season. Then he regressed back into the normal Ceci when his minutes got bumped up. He was heinous to end the season and really hurt Matheson in the playoffs.

If you want Ceci to be good, him being anything above a bottom pair D for you is a mistake.

I was saying this in 2017 but it seems like teams are stubborn and want more out of him. He's a weird case in the sense that he'll look "too good" on your 3rd pairing at times so you'd think you can get much more out of him but with time, top-4 minutes and responsibilities reveals that he can't take that much pressure.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't believe this is a Oilers bashing thread. Ceci at 4 years was risky. If the Habs signed him for that, you would say the same thing. He don't suck but you also don't overpay in both AAV and term for a guy who is inconsistent.

Could work out yes. But no doubt about it... it was on the risky side of things. Not detrimental but risky in terms of how valuable cap space is year to year
And no one (including the Oilers fans) are arguing against this. 1 M and 1 year too much is the consensus all across... But we still got 23 pages of 'lol oilers' from fans of teams that have nothing to do with Oilers or Ceci.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
They were the second pairing at even-strength.

Ahh, I see.

It appears Ceci's numbers the last 20 games were dragged down by his 70+ minutes of partnerships, mainly with Friedman after Matheson missed a few games after taking a puck to the face May 1st.

His numbers over the last 20 games in the top 4 with Matheson weren't as sparkling as his first 36 in top 4 duty but still very respectable. The whole narrative he struggled in the top 4 doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. Ceci/Matheson had the best numbers on the Pens last year in the least sheltered role of all regular partnerships.

Ceci/Matheson also had solid playoff numbers as well as it appears the Pens may have had goaltending issues in the playoffs? (just guessing here, I never watched the Pens/Isles series)

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle

First 36 games:
GA/60 - 1.3 (1st)
xGA/60 - 1.89 (1st)
SCA/60 - 22.95 (2nd)
HDCA/60 - 8.4 (1st)

Last 20 games:
GA/60 - 3.19 (last)
xGA/60 - 2.59 (last)
SCA/60 - 27.79 (last)
HDCA/60 - 12.2 (last)

Who was Ceci's dpartner In the top 4 ?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The players Bouchard and Ceci are replacing haven't been that impressive. Even Larsson wasn't that great for the Oilers except his first season on the team. I was always a fan of him for being physical but People talk like the Oilers lost some rock solid d-man that consistently played well and did everything great. He mostly struggled the past 3 seasons. He played pretty good this past season but him and Kulikov were probably the Oilers worst defense pairing down the stretch. Bear was the worst regular defenseman the Oilers had last season. Ideally the Oilers would have improved their defense but I don't see much of a downgrade. Looks more like the status quo going into next season.

Kulikov-Larsson we’re bad during the playoffs. The only reason they weren’t benched was because the 4K-Bear pairing was even worse and you can’t expect Nurse-Barrie to play every minute.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ahh, I see.

It appears Ceci's numbers the last 20 games were dragged down by his 70+ minutes of partnerships, mainly with Friedman after Matheson missed a few games after taking a puck to the face May 1st.

His numbers over the last 20 games in the top 4 with Matheson weren't as sparkling as his first 36 in top 4 duty but still very respectable. The whole narrative he struggled in the top 4 doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. Ceci/Matheson had the best numbers on the Pens last year in the least sheltered role of all regular partnerships.

Ceci/Matheson also had solid playoff numbers as well as it appears the Pens may have had goaltending issues in the playoffs? (just guessing here, I never watched the Pens/Isles series)

Are we looking at different stats? The Ceci/Matheson pairing had the worst stats on the Penguins D-corps in the playoffs.

As far as the narrative he struggles in a top 4 role not holding up to scrutiny, I literally posted his numbers comparing him being used as a 3rd pairing guy and him being used as a 2nd pairing guy. If that's not holding up to scrutiny, then I'm not sure what else you want.

How much did you actually watch Ceci as a Penguin? Because you seem to be trying to determine his performance exclusively by his analytics when both the analytics I posted AND the eye test of everyone who watched every single game of his (ie. Penguins fans) saw the drop in his play after he got more responsibility.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I cannot, I simply cannot stop laughing at the stupidity of this organisation.

Running a Nurse/Barrie (ouch, terrible first pairing) and Ceci/Keith ( LOL) While overpaying.
Do they want to run the worst Dzone D squad coverage in the league ?

Who in their right mind THINK that a Ceci/Keith/Barrie trio could defend anything during a playoff run in front of the net ? add to that long term signing.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
A decent gamble would be a 3 year term at $2M. Ceci might mature in his prime but it's risky... you could end up with another contract you got to buy out or add a future to unload. Smarter move would be to sign him for a 1 year deal and then explore the market again next off season. There are a lot of Ceci's available every off season
I think I could have accepted the current AAV if it were 2 years or less. There was nothing else out there for RHD this year.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Are we looking at different stats? The Ceci/Matheson pairing had the worst stats on the Penguins D-corps in the playoffs.

As far as the narrative he struggles in a top 4 role not holding up to scrutiny, I literally posted his numbers comparing him being used as a 3rd pairing guy and him being used as a 2nd pairing guy. If that's not holding up to scrutiny, then I'm not sure what else you want.

How much did you actually watch Ceci as a Penguin? Because you seem to be trying to determine his performance exclusively by his analytics when both the analytics I posted AND the eye test of everyone who watched every single game of his (ie. Penguins fans) saw the drop in his play after he got more responsibility.

I watched him a couple of times and he looked pretty good to be honest. Much more confident offensively and not going into more of a defensive shell like he was in Toronto. (which probably explains why he somehow ended up near the top of the league in 5v5 points/60) I also know that most Pens fans were shocked at how well Ceci played this past season as they thought they were getting another JJ.

Ceci/Matheson in the Playoffs:

CF%: 59.39
xGF%: 56.20
GF%: 44.41

The reason I asked if the Pens had goalkeeping issues is that this was a common theme for the Pens.

Here are Letang/Dumoulin's numbers from the series:

CF%: 61.17
xGF%: 55.75
GF%: 41.79

You also didnt show me the numbers of him being used as a second vs. third pairing guy, you just sorted by date and made assumptions. With the crazy injury year you guys had on the backend, dmen were getting slid around everywhere.

Ceci's numbers as a middle pairing defender last year were rock solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad