Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
You seemingly lost the plot here. The poster was knocking Draisaitl for his finals performance. Selke is entirely regular season - not at all relevant here. Conn Smythe is the entirety of the playoffs, not one round.
and in that round on ice the scoring was 1-1 when he and mcdavid were on the ice, he helped lock down the best player in the league, and he is instrumental on the penalty kill.
The selke was in reference to barkovs greatest attribute being defense, especially in the playoffs

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Drai's a smart guy, he wants to stay winning. Just like McDavid, another Oiler for Life. Sorry Leafs Fans.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Canucks would be crazy to do that deal as proposed IMO.

FD - did you take into account the tax impact of the road games?
I think they would say no as well. That's the point. The post I responded to said they didn't care what the return would be because it's going to be a downgrade. If you make the math work, there's probably several options that aren't a downgrade.

Also, there have been PLENTY of trades done that we've all looked at like WTF are you doing?!!?! It happens every year.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
To me, the Oilers are a fragile team on the downswing. I think they had their shot last season and blew it.
Wow really, YOU think that?

1725397128065.png

1725397161902.png

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Arvidsson and skinner are on a completely different planet than foegele and Holloway. We gained two legitimate top 6 forwards and lost two bottom 6ers. The more effective playoff bottom 6ers namely Janmark, Henrique and Brown were all retained. The forward group is way better it’s the best in the league by far.

On D your forgetting about Emberson is a young right D with good defensive numbers. He may very well be better than Holloway.
On offense i never disagreed with you, i said they did improve but we will see what happens in playoffs too since skinner is a soft player and not been tested in the much more hard hitting gritty western conference.
On defense you are assuming Emberson will be a good defenseman and yet comparing him to a forward. So does this mean he isnt good defensively?? Emberson is a question mark and he could very well not be ready for NHL full time.
On the other hand Broberg was a legit top 4 D and there is a reason why Blues gave him a big fat contact. He was the biggest loss and he is way better than Holloway imo.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
and in that round on ice the scoring was 1-1 when he and mcdavid were on the ice, he helped lock down the best player in the league, and he is instrumental on the penalty kill.
The selke was in reference to barkovs greatest attribute being defense, especially in the playoffs
And yet McDavid still ended up with what, something like 11 points in the SCF? I don't believe Barkov was even point per game. He wasn't particularly great in the SCF. It was his previous rounds that got him into CS discussion.

Anyways, let's get back to Draisaitl.

Reactions: Kerberos and PuckG

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Neither would I, but you gotta throw Edmonton fans a bone you know, look at what happens when you call something a wash with Draisaitl, imagine if I had said what you did, lol.
I have thick skin :naughty:

But this is a good contract for Draisaitl. The last few years will be iffy but that’s really a non factor as the window for winning is now. Getting him through the prime years has earned him a bit in the twilight years

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I think they would say no as well. That's the point. The post I responded to said they didn't care what the return would be because it's going to be a downgrade. If you make the math work, there's probably several options that aren't a downgrade.

Also, there have been PLENTY of trades done that we've all looked at like WTF are you doing?!!?! It happens every year.
It might have been lost in the noise - but I was originally asking for a reasonable Draisatl trade that made the Oilers a better team come play-off time. Just not a lot of serious contenders who either have a ton of cap space and or are looking to trade cheaper key contributors for LD. Organizations don't typically trade LD caliber players and get better, especially in a cap world.

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
My point is that this is what happens in every other sport, and I'm not sure why NHL fans are so weird about it. When the pool of money to spend goes up, so do the contracts, especially for the premium players.

Did you know that 11 QBs have a higher cap hit than Patrick Mahomes (signed 4 years ago, I think)? Or that the QB that is tied for the highest cap hit currently has 10 career regular season wins? But he's a premium player, and it was his turn, so he got paid a ton.
Do you think all 11 of the QBs being paid higher than him deserves the salary than?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
You make a good point that I didn't even think about. Oilers fans keep talking about a rising cap but don't realize the depth guys they want will also want more money because of the salary cap increase.
Yeah they are thinking their depth players will make less than last years salary 2 years down the road. Dehranais would be a 1 million player last year but got 2 mil this year. So it shows depth players will also see a rise in salary and i doubt players will be dying to sign with oilers at league min. Heck the league min. Will rise too as the cap increases.

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
I'm not sure if I agree. After the playoff and regular season that Bouchard just had, the only other things he could do to increase his stock are a Norris trophy, even higher point output next year, or a Stanley Cup. Doing what he did last year over again probably doesn't raise his stock much, if at all.

On the other hand, if he sees a regression in points down to, say, 60 points or so, that could give the Oilers some leverage to negotiate him down a bit. I think this is one of the few scenarios where waiting it out might be the better option.
I do agree he can regress anytime and what not but if it shows that he will pretty much be the top D man on the team some contracts are justified just by ice time crazy to think about but weirdly how the NHL works.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
And yet McDavid still ended up with what, something like 11 points in the SCF? I don't believe Barkov was even point per game. He wasn't particularly great in the SCF. It was his previous rounds that got him into CS discussion.

Anyways, let's get back to Draisaitl.
literally proves my point that mcdavid exploded when barkov wasnt on the ice with him.
He shut downtop players when on the ice all playoffs, hes not as much of a scorer as mcdavid and draisatl are.
I guess most people just look at points now, makes sense with how the norris is seen now.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
In what world is broberg a legit top 4 D?
In the world where he was playing very good in the finals against the champs, better than even Ceci and got offersheeted by the Blues and several other teams that were pursuing him. If you think he sucks or is a bottom pair then what would be the logic for Blues to give him 5 mil per season and other teams wanting to trade for him??

Good luck to stecher replacing him, he didnt even play one game in the playoffs. I guess knob knows better 🤣

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017

You caught me. I'll give the Oilers next year and then I think it's downhill from there. I just think there is a lot to not like about the oilers. stan bowman, corey perry, evander kane, years of being gifted 1st overall picks while other teams never got the opportunity, a creepy asshole owner, giving Virtanen a PTO, Craig Mctavish, Kevin Lowe etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad