Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
UFA he gets 7x$16M easily.

If he could get 16 million easily, then is it possible that he could have gotten 18 million from atleast 1 team?

commie

Jul 30, 2005
He helped his team lose the finals too... what's your point?

lol what a joke
31 team’s fan base would take the loosing in game 7 of the SCF lol

You need players to make it that far

Or are you happy to cheer for your beloved leafs to lose in the 1st every year, because you don’t want to lose in game 7 of the finals?

Reactions: stewy04

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Mack had 6 points and a -1 in 6 games in his finals.

Did he have a great finals?

Makar went 0-0-0 -1 in game 6.

Did he have a great finals?
No need to get emotional. In the end Makar and Mckinnon won the cup.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would say if he would have signed for 13 mil or lower it would be team friendly discount. 14 mil seems like a fair conract for him, not a steal or discount by any means. I think he would get 14 mil or 14.5 mil in free agency too. No team would give him max if he is not mcdavid
In honesty, early in the offseason Drai's agent said that Leon had already given a lot of team friendly contract years, so we knew the cap hit would be high. Imo Drai did leave money on the table but more like 500k. Or maybe 2 million if money was all that mattered and he'd be willing to go to a bottom feeder with all the cash in the world

And for the team, there will be not much difference. We are paying 5.5 million more, but more than that much dead cap will come off the books by then.

The tough part is that we ALSO have to pay Bouchard like 6 million more

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Love reading all the mental math that explains away any Oiler success, and how they're actually not very good.

Fans outside of Edmonton seem to spend as much or more time constructing narratives about the Oilers than they do thinking about their own teams.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If he could get 16 million easily, then is it possible that he could have gotten 18 million from atleast 1 team?

Maybe, but once the numbers start getting that high you have to start ruling out the teams that are actually any good which probably prevents it from happening in reality.

There are some decent squads out there that could make it work at 15-16M.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He would not get 16 mil, not even close. Not many teams would be able to afford to sign him to that deal or even risk 16 mil to sign a player that might not play as well as he does next to McDavid.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
You caught me. I'll give the Oilers next year and then I think it's downhill from there. I just think there is a lot to not like about the oilers. stan bowman, corey perry, evander kane, years of being gifted 1st overall picks while other teams never got the opportunity, a creepy asshole owner, giving Virtanen a PTO, Craig Mctavish, Kevin Lowe etc.
And Drai still wants to be there! In Utah I'm sure there are no weird creeps lol

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I would say if he would have signed for 13 mil or lower it would be team friendly discount. 14 mil seems like a fair conract for him, not a steal or discount by any means. I think he would get 14 mil or 14.5 mil in free agency too. No team would give him max if he is not mcdavid

His projected was between 13-13.5, to be a truly team friend contract he would have had to take less than 13. Somewhat in line with what some journalists think
IMG_2381.png

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
No need to get emotional. In the end Makar and Mckinnon won the cup.
Not emotional.
Logical.

Sometimes the best players are underwhelming and a team still wins.
Sometimes the best players are great and a team doesn't win.

Just poor arguments.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
He would not get 16 mil, not even close. Not many teams would be able to afford to sign him to that deal or even risk 16 mil to sign a player that might not play as well as he does next to McDavid.
Not saying it would be a good idea, but it would be Tavares all over again. (Probably with the same end result on the team that signed him.)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When Pittsburgh won the Cup in 2016, their top 3 forwards (Crosby/Malkin/Kessel) + no.1 D (Letang) + no.1 goalie (MAF) were a combined 53.5% of the cap, in 2017 it's actually even worse than that because Letang didn't play in the playoffs so they won the Cup anyway with their top available players being more like 60% of their playing roster cap in the playoffs (-7.25 mill for Letang who was unavailable).

McDavid at 16, Draisaitl at 14, Hyman at 5.5, Bouchard at 11 even, Skinner at say 5 would against a 96 million dollar cap would be 53.6% of the cap.

I think 96 mill cap in two years is on the low side too, the TV rights in Canada are up in two years, and regardless of what people say about live TV, every major pro sport has seen a massive increase in a new deal for contract renewal, even the NHL's new US TV contract is way bigger than their previous one. Sportsnet may have to live with no having exclusive rights, but a package between Sportsnet + TSN/RDS + Amazon will likely be considerably larger than the current TV deal.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
When did Myers get himv
he broke his ribs coming across the blueline. It ruined Drais playoffs. Darly Katz embraced him after the Dallas Series and told him not to worry. I have a source that works in the room. He was useless in the finals and a lot of the Dallas series.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
2022 - Pounded hard by the Avalanche
2023 - Not really close by the Knights
2024 - Nearly swept by the Panthers

Im not really sure why bragging that the Cup winner took you out behind the shed is a flex, but ok.

They had a legendary PK% in 2024 which is highly unlikely to repeat again. The big guns can lead them far enough, but the obvious weaknesses are still there and assuming the big 3 sign for a collective $40M, they'll be handicapped.
1) Every team was pounded hard by the Avalanche. That was one of the most dominant playoff runs in history, They were never trailing in a series in the entire playoffs. They lost 4 games combined, and they thumped every team they played in at least one game. The Avalanche literally took the entire league behind the woodshed here, I don't know why the Oilers get ragged on for that more than anyone else.

2) Vegas players thought it was pretty close. Marchessault has stated that the Oilers were the best team that they played and they were lucky to have beaten them.

3) Nearly swept means nothing. They almost completed the reverse sweep, which also means nothing. Any way you slice it, losing in game seven isn't getting "taken behind the shed."

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

It’s a fair market contract, comparable to what he would have gotten on the open market
7 x 16 = 112
8 x 14 = 112

So Drai got market value. Market value doesn't seem to be to me the same as team friendly.
Not saying he's not worth it.. he is. I just think a lot of people were fooling themselves when they thought he would sign with the Oilers for anything less than market value.
McDavid is now going to get $16m x 8.... maybe even more.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Draisaitl is a power forward / elite sniper, power forwards usually start declining after 30 whereas smaller skilled players seem to excel in their later years a bit more.
I don't think that's accurate. Usually it's the physical bruising powerforwards (Lucic, Wilson, etc.) who see a decline quickly as they enter their early 30's. Draisaitl doesn't necessarily initiate a bunch of contact, he just uses his size/strength in a puck protection capacity.

I'd say he'd age more similar to a Joe Thornton -- another guy who used his size/strength to dominate possession, but didn't really add wear and tear on his body by going around throwing thunderous hits every night. Thornton was around a point per game guy as late as I believe age 36 or 37.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad