Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So 66M once you add Hyman,Ekholm and Nuge. Fun indeed.
And then another 6M or so for Skinner

72M for 8 players, leaving 28M in a 100M cap for the remaining 12-15 to fill out the roster. Depth is definitely going to be an issue.

The Oilers are going to have to completely turn around their maybe league worst drafting & development programs if they want to remain bonafide cup contenders.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
what would be the logic for Blues to give him 5 mil per season
To screw the Oilers, duh. Army is just another HF boards member.

You caught me.
thebillcomesdue-mordo.gif

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nurse signed his contract, which was at 11.21% of the cap when he signed...
Bouchard is going to get at least that number (11.21%), and with the cap expected to hit 92/93 million next year, that number is going to be 10-11 million.
I would expect his agent to push for 11-12 mil.
You know there's more comps in the League than just Nurse. Look at Hughes, 7.85M and people think Hughes is better than Bouchard (wrong).

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Just like unknown Emberson is some kind of defensive wizard all of a sudden?
Tell me about it. They dont know what they had until they lose them. You can certainly find a lot worst dman than Deharnais, Broberg and Ceci. Stilman and friedman are one example but they also have one on their own team in Nurse. Yes, Nurse is worst than Ceci and Broberg when it comes to defense and i would even say slightly worst than Deharnais.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
In the world where he was playing very good in the finals against the champs, better than even Ceci and got offersheeted by the Blues and several other teams that were pursuing him. If you think he sucks or is a bottom pair then what would be the logic for Blues to give him 5 mil per season and other teams wanting to trade for him??

Good luck to stecher replacing him, he didnt even play one game in the playoffs. I guess knob knows better 🤣
Broberg was in the AHL most of last year and in the press box for more than 1/2 the playoffs. Now he’s a legit top 4D??? Lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The last three years of this contract will hurt. Leon will be 35, 36 and 37 for most of those 3 years (October birthday).

A similar player (impact wise) is Patrick Kane. Imagine paying Kaner 14 million last year, this year and next? (November birthday).

Edit.....Just to clarify....I don't see any other option here for Edmonton. Drai is absolutely needed to compete for that Cup over the next 5 years. I just think it'll hurt in the end.
Could pretty much say that for any long term UFA contract.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So $14m is now classified as a team friendly contract?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
So he did.

I never put the cart ahead of the horse. I'm a wait and see guy.
Fans need to chill most of the time... But they do not.

That's reasonable. In fairness, he may well be but it's funny how quick the narratives change. I'm gonna sit back and just watch the carnage now.

Congrats Oilers though, big day today.

Reactions: Coffey

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
MessierII just said he may be better than Broberg. The moral of the story, everyone is biased.
It’s not an outlandish thing to say. Outside of draft position they are both unproven young D roughly the same age. Very little separating them.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Do you think there is no merit though on why people don't like Edmonton? They don't do themselves any favours.
There is hating a team for it's decisions and personnel choices, which I get.
But there is also letting that hatred cloud your judgment and saying they stink.

Just because you hate the choices they make, doesn't mean they are fragile.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
And yet McDavid still ended up with what, something like 11 points in the SCF? I don't believe Barkov was even point per game. He wasn't particularly great in the SCF. It was his previous rounds that got him into CS discussion.

Anyways, let's get back to Draisaitl.
Just because you racked up 4 points in a blow out 8-1 game doesn't mean you had a good finals. He probably wishes he could've saved some of those points for game 7 eh.

Reactions: PainForShane

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver

72M for 8 players, leaving 28M in a 100M cap for the remaining 12-15 to fill out the roster. Depth is definitely going to be an issue.

The Oilers are going to have to completely turn around their maybe league worst drafting & development programs if they want to remain bonafide cup contenders.
I believe Pens did this while winning their back to back cups in 16/17. Nearly 70 percent of cap to 8 players.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Thats not sustainable. The 12 to 15 spot that needs to be filled would still include 1 more top 6 LW, 1 more top 4 D and a number 1 goalie. A top 6 LW would cost min. 4 mil but probably more, another top 4 D would cost 5 mil now and a legit number 1 goalie costs 6 mil. So now subtract 28 mil by 15 to get 13 mil remaining to fill 11 or more spots. They would have to fill the rest with farm guys 😅

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You caught me. I'll give the Oilers next year and then I think it's downhill from there. I just think there is a lot to not like about the oilers. stan bowman, corey perry, evander kane, years of being gifted 1st overall picks while other teams never got the opportunity, a creepy asshole owner, giving Virtanen a PTO, Craig Mctavish, Kevin Lowe etc.
I can respect this.

At least you're not trying to pretend to offer some sort of unbiased commentary.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
They've lost to the eventual Cup winner every year for the past 3 years. 3 year trend but somehow last year was a fluke. Sure
2022 - Pounded hard by the Avalanche
2023 - Not really close by the Knights
2024 - Nearly swept by the Panthers

Im not really sure why bragging that the Cup winner took you out behind the shed is a flex, but ok.

They had a legendary PK% in 2024 which is highly unlikely to repeat again. The big guns can lead them far enough, but the obvious weaknesses are still there and assuming the big 3 sign for a collective $40M, they'll be handicapped.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Just because you racked up 4 points in a blow out 8-1 game doesn't mean you had a good finals. He probably wishes he could've saved some of those points for game 7 eh.
Mack had 6 points and a -1 in 6 games in his finals.

Did he have a great finals?

Makar went 0-0-0 -1 in game 6.

Did he have a great finals?

Reactions: Duke74

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
So much for a team friendly contract to be able to ice a better team the Oilers won't be winning a cup for a long time so much of the cap going to 4 guys.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: McFlyingV

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Sure, why not?
I would say if he would have signed for 13 mil or lower it would be team friendly discount. 14 mil seems like a fair conract for him, not a steal or discount by any means. I think he would get 14 mil or 14.5 mil in free agency too. No team would give him max if he is not mcdavid

So much for a team friendly contract to be able to ice a better team the Oilers won't be winning a cup for a long time so much of the cap going to 3 guys.
Not just 3 guys, you either forgot Nurse or the pending huge contract Bouchard will get due to Nurse 😂 it is Toronto west

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad