Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
7 x 16 = 112
8 x 14 = 112

So Drai got market value. Market value doesn't seem to be to me the same as team friendly.
Not saying he's not worth it.. he is. I just think a lot of people were fooling themselves when they thought he would sign with the Oilers for anything less than market value.
McDavid is now going to get $16m x 8.... maybe even more.
I'd say 16 x 8 is a pretty safe bet

Really at the end of the day the fact that hall of fame level players such as these are choosing to stay in Edmonton for the entirety of their careers is nothing but a massive win for Edmonton and its fans.

Whether anyone thinks its an extra 750k or whatever is really moot at this stage. The players have shown they are good enough to get there. Now they have even more at bats to try and finish the job. (Also I'm happy to give Leon an extra 500k rather than overpay Broberg by 3M)

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
You caught me. I'll give the Oilers next year and then I think it's downhill from there. I just think there is a lot to not like about the oilers. stan bowman, corey perry, evander kane, years of being gifted 1st overall picks while other teams never got the opportunity, a creepy asshole owner, giving Virtanen a PTO, Craig Mctavish, Kevin Lowe etc.
God forbid a team give a player/manager second chances. Bertuzzi ends a players career comes back and you probably didnt say a thing.

But if the Oilers do something you and many others lose their mind. Seems like McDavid and others have no problems with Kane Perry or Bowman.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
7 x 16 = 112
8 x 14 = 112

So Drai got market value. Market value doesn't seem to be to me the same as team friendly.
Not saying he's not worth it.. he is. I just think a lot of people were fooling themselves when they thought he would sign with the Oilers for anything less than market value.
McDavid is now going to get $16m x 8.... maybe even more.
And you can look at it this way take off 3 million per year the Oilers saved on his 1st 8 year contract where he should have made 11 .5 per

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
We can all expect the first 10 dollar hot dog to be at an Oilers game . Seems like only yesterday when Gretzky signed a 10 year 3 million dollar deal with the Oilers . ( That’s 3 million total value not annual ) OYE !!!
Yeah and i remember buying a hpuse in downtown vancouver was $100,000 and now its $10 mil. What was your point?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
God forbid a team give a player/manager second chances. Bertuzzi ends a players career comes back and you probably didnt say a thing.

But if the Oilers do something you and many others lose their mind. Seems like McDavid and others have no problems with Kane Perry or Bowman.
If Canucks had those people, you would be singing a different tune. Since its the Oilers, its all of a sudden "those poor people need a second chance" mantra.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Tell me about it. They dont know what they had until they lose them. You can certainly find a lot worst dman than Deharnais, Broberg and Ceci. Stilman and friedman are one example but they also have one on their own team in Nurse. Yes, Nurse is worst than Ceci and Broberg when it comes to defense and i would even say slightly worst than Deharnais.
Laugh, that is going to age well.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Isn't this what most GMs do? If you're not paying your best players who are you gonna pay?

Trying to squeeze an extra mill from someone like Drai is pretty dumb. Its all about keeping Drai from squeezing that extra mill out of you because stars have more leverage than GMs.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
And you can look at it this way take off 3 million per year the Oilers saved on his 1st 8 year contract where he should have made 11 .5 per
That's water under the bridge. Meaningless with respect to the latest contract. But, if it helps you convince yourself that you got a deal today... Go for it.

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
McDavid should demand a trade to a large U.S. market so that he can be more famous. Preferably an original six team.
The irony of that statement is that players who "demand" or leave for large US markets over fame (which I don't think happens often, but if it does) want to be less recognized, not more. I'm sure Connor Bedard can go just about anywhere he wants in Chicago and hardly anyone would have a clue who he is. That's not a slight against Chicago, it's just the way it is. Same with the Rangers in NY, the Kings in LA, and so on and so on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The irony of that statement is that players who "demand" or leave for large US markets over fame (which I don't think happens often, but if it does) want to be less recognized, not more. I'm sure Connor Bedard can go just about anywhere he wants in Chicago and hardly anyone would have a clue who he is. That's not a slight against Chicago, it's just the way it is. Same with the Rangers in NY, the Kings in LA, and so on and so on.

Reminds of a convo I was having with a taxi driver in Anaheim in 2007 after the Ducks had just won the Cup.

Me: So, were you excited with the Ducks winning the Cup?

Driver: Oh yeah! It was awesome!

*we're driving by the Anaheim arena where Pronger is one of the huge banners outside of the arena*

Me: How about that Chris Pronger, huh?

Driver: Who?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
That's water under the bridge. Meaningless with respect to the latest contract. But, if it helps you convince yourself that you got a deal today... Go for it.
Really don't care we have him signed enjoy your 40-point winger in Huberdeau at 10.5

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
If Canucks had those people, you would be singing a different tune. Since its the Oilers, its all of a sudden "those poor people need a second chance" mantra.
Not true at all. I believe people should get second chances no matter the team theyre on.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I always believe in having well balanced rosters for the most part but If there were two players on a team I would happily lock up to a high percentage of the cap they are Draisaitl and McDavid. Those two alone will win you more games and playoff games then a lot of the other 31 teams entire cores will. Give them just reasonable depth and you have a chance at the Cup.

Reactions: Czechboy

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Mack had 6 points and a -1 in 6 games in his finals.

Did he have a great finals?

Makar went 0-0-0 -1 in game 6.

Did he have a great finals?
MacKinnon had two points in a 2-1 game that won the Cup. There would’ve been a parade in Edmonton if McDavid had two points in a cup clinching game.

If MacKinnon had no point and the Avs lost game 6 then lost game 7 with MacKinnon having zero points history would be completely different.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
8 x 14 not terrible but would have liked a bit less. This signals everyone is staying though so that’s a good thing.
He and McDavid both took a discount on their last contracts - there’s no way it was happening again. Glad the deal is done. Next up, McDavid at $16M AAV for 8 years.

Reactions: ManByng

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
McDavid-Drai have 2-3 years to win a Cup

They have to go all in

He and McDavid both took a discount on their last contracts - there’s no way it was happening again. Glad the deal is done. Next up, McDavid at $16M AAV for 8 years.

At the time nobody thought Drai took a discount

It’s always easy to look back and say

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
I would say if he would have signed for 13 mil or lower it would be team friendly discount. 14 mil seems like a fair conract for him, not a steal or discount by any means. I think he would get 14 mil or 14.5 mil in free agency too. No team would give him max if he is not mcdavid

Not just 3 guys, you either forgot Nurse or the pending huge contract Bouchard will get due to Nurse 😂 it is Toronto west
I forgot about Nurse even worse

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
While this makes Drai the highest cap hit ever...

The highest paid player in a single season was Fedorov in 1997-98 when he got a unique offer-sheet from Carolina, netting him 28 million for that season (from Detroit obvously).

The biggest contract ever it total dollars is still Ovechkin at 124 million (for 13 years). Seems likely McDavid will break that next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad