Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Leon Draisaitl signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
He does show up in the playoffs, signs a year later, was underpaid for 8 years.

Yet some don't, infact, they suck in the playoffs, were overpaid for the last 5 years and seek for only short term with max $.

I'd rather have this deal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
From a romantic point of view, of course this makes sense for the Oilers. That's your 2 in your 1-2 punch, that's a guy you put on the posters, that's an A in your leadership group. Has spent his entire adult life in your organization etc... how can you not?

But from a coldly pragmatic point of view, imagine how much better they could be if they flipped him, like imagine if they were as ruthless about it as Florida. Leon wouldn't be worth 14m on most teams, so why not cash him in at that value? If Huberdeau can land a Tkachuk, one wonders what Draisaitl could have fetched...
There's very few players worth Draisaitl in a Return. And those that would be, probably wouldn't be on the market. So what would Drai return? He wouldn't be the Huberdeau in that comparison, he'd be the Tkachuk. So some overrated player and a good D-man? We'll keep Drai if that's all the return, Drai's playoff prowess is irreplaceable.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Draisaitl is a power forward / elite sniper, power forwards usually start declining after 30 whereas smaller skilled players seem to excel in their later years a bit more.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Great for the oilers but good god do they ever need to remove Nurse at any cost.

That contract is going to sink them once McDavid and Bouchard get paid

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
He's younger than MacKinnon. You think MacKinnon will be out of his prime in 2 years?

Leon will remain in his prime past the halfway point of that contract.

Agreed the Oilers have a 2 year window right now where they can be a cup favourite. All they have to do is make the playoffs in the following years and anything can happen with their core.

They do need to manage their assets better than letting their top young guys walk due to offer sheets
news at 11. Players decline after a certain age.

Funny how people are quick to remind you this for certain players but does not apply to others.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Draisaitl is a power forward / elite sniper, power forwards usually start declining after 30 whereas smaller skilled players seem to excel in their later years a bit more.
Joe Thornton was 4th in the league scoring at the age of 37. I am not worried about Drai at all because his game style is too slow the play down , he also has a way better shot than Thornton did

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The best part about this signing is that Edmonton will be in perpetual cap hell as soon as the Sharks' contention window opens back up.

You can't win Cups when you have 3-4 players eating up more than half your cap space. Just ask Toronto.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Can they remain competitive when 3 players will most likely take 40million of cap space when McDavid and Bouchard re-signs?
If it was just those 3 players then sure.

But add in another $9.5 for a #4/5D in Nurse and it’ll be a struggle.

The best part about this signing is that Edmonton will be in perpetual cap hell as soon as the Sharks' contention window opens back up.

You can't win Cups when you have 3-4 players eating up more than half your cap space. Just ask Toronto.
You can if they actually show up in the playoffs.

That is, and always has been, Torontos problem

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This one hurt ya didn’t it
Not really:
Not a discount. Not overpayment. Fair market value. Exactly where people should've expected him to land.

If I was an Oilers fan, I don't give a shit about the AAV today, just celebrate signing a top-3 forward long term. And would be relieved because surely this indicates that McDavid has every intention of staying as well.
I just have a hard time calling one of the richest deals in the sports history "a steal", no matter how good the player is.

You guys need to understand, that just because a contract isn't "a steal", doesn't mean it's a bad one.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Tough to say but I can't imagine it would be much more than what he got, if at all. I don't think he took less for the team but I could be wrong.
I think it should also be noted that Drai is coming off probably the biggest discount contract in the NHL. Not saying he's getting "back-pay" as it were, but also understand the thought process to not give another discount that large.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
panarin signed for 11.6 when the cap was 81.5 (14.2%)

Next season when Drai was scheduled to be a ufa, the cap will be about 93m

That 14.2% would be about 13.2

Is a soon to be 30 year old draisatl more or less valuable than a soon to be 28 year old panarin?

Well, Panarin didn't give a discount either clearly but I know teams are pressured to pay their top stars if they want to keep them. Can't really blame the Oilers or Rangers for signing those deals. I just find it interesting that fans expect certain guys to take less for the good of the team but it's hard to argue that Drai took less. Not sure he deserves to be THE highest paid player on the league but I get that he held all the leverage here. But congrats Oilers fans, must feel good to get your 1b stud locked down.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think it should also be noted that Drai is coming off probably the biggest discount contract in the NHL. Not saying he's getting "back-pay" as it were, but also understand the thought process to not give another discount that large.

That's a very good point. It's tough to ask Drai to take a discount when he's over performed his previous deal so much.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk

Pretty sure theres a massive difference between these players and the losers in TO.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This also probably confirms McDavid, assuming he re-signs, gets at least 16M. Bouchard should end up somewhere around 10M.

So roughly 50M between McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, & Nurse. That'll be fun.
I think you should take a look at who your top 4 highest players are, and worry about your own team's "fun".

That's a no from me, Draisaitl might be the best player in the deal, although I'd argue Norris winning D-men are harder to come by.
I'd argue Hughes-Draisaitl is a wash. So JT Miller and Thatcher Demko for Nurse... :biglaugh:, Draisaitl does not move the needle enough in what we would be losing, hell I'd even say no if it was McDavid and Nurse.
Uh...no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad