Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
How does one season at top pair level get you 9M? Especially considering the circumstances of the league this season. 9M would be absolutely awful.

Because if the Oilers don't overpay Nurse now it's likely he leaves as UFA after next year. It's a desperation re-sign because Oilers need to stay decent so McDavid stays happy.

Reactions: ChasinWaterfalls

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I'd be very interested in your list of 63 dmen you would prefer ahead of him... or does your legit top pairing guys consist of 10-12 dmen?
Theres probably 15 or so legit top pairing guys

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
When did I call them a contender?

Going from being one of the worst teams in the league to second in their divison is progress. The next step is to find success in the playoffs.

Keep spinning your wheels instead of owning up to your stupid "edmonton is sliding" spiel.

In 2017 they made conference semi-finals....that was their peak and they have generally gone downwards since.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Tramp Dana Scully

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
up till last year, Oil fans were looking to dump him for whatever they could get. they hated him

Last years stats were an anomaly for many players, new divisions were created and teams played within them....many players will revert back to the norm, once the season resumes a regular schedule. It won't be a shock to see some players slide hard.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Terrible players usually finish 7th in Norris voting. Good post.

Let's be honest, Norris voting is about points. He got lots of points playing with McDrai.

Not saying he didn't have a great year, but as little as two years ago Oiler fans were calling for his head.

"All the tools and no tool box" was the comment of choice.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Let's be honest, Norris voting is about points. He got lots of points playing with McDrai.

Not saying he didn't have a great year, but as little as two years ago Oiler fans were calling for his head.

If Norris voting were only about points, why didn't the league leader in points get a single vote?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Would have been 8x8 if it weren't for Hamilton, Jones and Werenski.

:/

I guess we'll see next season, but I sorta felt Nurse was on the same tier as those guys last season.
Kinda miffed we never got him signed long-term before his mini-breakout.

Stupid Oilers and gambling on stupid bridge deals that take Dmen we developed in-house to UFA.

I'd hate to see Nurse in another uniform, about as much as I hate watching Petry in a Habs jersey.

8.125 x 8yrs is my guess
God I wish. While fair, that would be a steal in this current market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geardedandbearded

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Dmen usually need 300 games to become "finished products"

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I'm sure this goes for most team boards here, but ours especially seems to be quick to want to move players for less than stellar seasons. Even players who were sort of ridden on the way out get brought up years later as good targets to reacquire.

It's fascinating and frustrating all at the same time.

Reactions: HugginThePost

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Dmen usually need 300 games to become "finished products"

Agreed.....Nurse has come a long way. He still makes bone headed plays and goes through stretches that will make you pull your hair out, but he's a solid D man.

I don't think he will score like he did last year, as his Shooting % was nearly double his average. It's got an Eberle vibe to it!

I think he had his best season to get himself paid. Do I think he's worth the rumored $9mm, not a chance in hell, but I'd assume not many Oilers fans do either.

He's getting paid regardless, if he gets better, it's a good deal for the Oilers. If he falls back to his norm, it's going to hurt, a lot.

Time will tell.........

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
If Norris voting were only about points, why didn't the league leader in points get a single vote?
It’s an exaggeration, but it’s largely about points as long as you aren’t plainly not that good defensively. But a guy like Jaccob Slavin is a good example, he’s legitimately great and influences play w advance metrics, but doesn’t pile up points and is barely recognized

also McDavid drives that powerplay, I don’t know if everyone is convinced Barrie is the primary driver behind that success or that he’d be a top scorer with less insane players

spot

Aug 26, 2007
I think that Nurse is one of the best athletes in the NHL. Things he can do physically blow me away. He’s our top guy and will only get better. Has a strong family of athletes he knows what it takes. Offensively he has grown leaps and bounds, plus he carries Barrie all over the ice. I’m okay with this contract.

Reactions: KingKhron

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I think that Nurse is one of the best athletes in the NHL. Things he can do physically blow me away. He’s our top guy and will only get better. Has a strong family of athletes he knows what it takes. Offensively he has grown leaps and bounds, plus he carries Barrie all over the ice. I’m okay with this contract.

How has he grown offensively? You think he will shoot at 11% again this year? He'll have the benefit of playing the bulk of his minutes with McDrai, so that will certainly help the cause, but I think he falls back to his normal shooting % this year. We see this a lot.....

Plus, I'm not so sure it's a winning strategy to be playing top guys as much as Edmonton does.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How has he grown offensively? You think he will shoot at 11% again this year? He'll have the benefit of playing the bulk of his minutes with McDrai, so that will certainly help the cause, but I think he falls back to his normal shooting % this year. We see this a lot.....

Plus, I'm not so sure it's a winning strategy to be playing top guys as much as Edmonton does.

One thing I noticed having watched every single game he played this year is that he was far smarter with his shot selection. He also plays a lot more calm and just all around solid on the ice. He carried Barrie and was the better D man that opinion is unanimous amongst Oiler fans.

He wasn’t just taking slap shots from the point, many of his goals were actually well placed wrist shots jumping up and joining the play.

I’m not sure his shooting percentage will stay as high as it was, but if you watched how he scored they were nice goals not just random clappers from the point. Many were inside the top of the face off circle picking corners with accurate wrist shots.

His play has vastly improved, he’s a good D man. I’d argue he was better than Seth Jones was last year and I don’t think that’s controversial at all. Nurse keeps getting better every year and works hard in the off-season on his game, he’s a smart person as well he was the Scholastic Player of Year in the OHL.

I’ve been a huge Nurse backer from day one even when he was struggling I knew he was like a big puppy growing into his paws. He’s a grown dog now and he’s a guy any team would want on their team.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
One thing I noticed having watched every single game he played this year is that he was far smarter with his shot selection. He also plays a lot more calm and just all around solid on the ice. He carried Barrie and was the better D man that opinion is unanimous amongst Oiler fans.

He wasn’t just taking slap shots from the point, many of his goals were actually well placed wrist shots jumping up and joining the play.

I’m not sure his shooting percentage will stay as high as it was, but if you watched how he scored they were nice goals not just random clappers from the point. Many were inside the top of the face off circle picking corners with accurate wrist shots.

His play has vastly improved, he’s a good D man. I’d argue he was better than Seth Jones was last year and I don’t think that’s controversial at all. Nurse keeps getting better every year and works hard in the off-season on his game, he’s a smart person as well he was the Scholastic Player of Year in the OHL.

I’ve been a huge Nurse backer from day one even when he was struggling I knew he was like a big puppy growing into his paws. He’s a grown dog now and he’s a guy any team would want on their team.

I don't disagree with anything you've said.....he's gotten a lot better over the last three years.

I just think it's a risk to be paying a guy $9mm+ for a 52 game sample in a one off year (playing the same teams over and over), but it's not like the Oilers can afford to let him walk to FA, where he would get those dollars!

I just think D-Men and Goalies are all high risk, minus a very limited group.

Look at Bear, last year there was talk about him becoming a sure fire #1 d as early as this last season.......then......the Oilers couldn't give him a way fast enough.

It's just hocus pocus dealing with goalies and defense.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't disagree with anything you've said.....he's gotten a lot better over the last three years.

I just think it's a risk to be paying a guy $9mm+ for a 52 game sample in a one off year (playing the same teams over and over), but it's not like the Oilers can afford to let him walk to FA, where he would get those dollars!

I just think D-Men and Goalies are all high risk, minus a very limited group.

Look at Bear, last year there was talk about him becoming a sure fire #1 d as early as this last season.......then......the Oilers couldn't give him a way fast enough.

It's just hocus pocus dealing with goalies and defense.

When you have a guy like Nurse who wants to be an Oiler, it’s a huge risk to ever let someone as good as he is just entering his prime now leave. D men as we all know peak later and generally have a longer prime well into their early/mid 30s. It’s a position where being a man and “man strength” is a thing.

To be fair to Nurse, he doesn’t get a lot of PP time and has been one of the top producing 5 v 5 D men over the last 3 years. His 5 v 5 production isn’t a new thing.

Yes, he’s got areas to improve on but he is comfortably a top 15-20 D man in the NHL. I don’t see 20 other NHL better than him especially with his size and skating ability coupled with his physicality and offensive production at even strength. He’s a guy that can comfortably play 25-30 minutes a night all situations as needed.

Is he worth 9 million? Tough to say as I still think his best years are ahead. If he came in at 8 x 8 I’d be very happy with that deal all day long. I’m a huge Nurse supporter and have been since day one so it’s nice to be vindicated in my support for his play. He’s become a damn good hockey player and has paid his dues in this league, some early hiccups like many young D men but man has he become a good player. He was our best player easily in the playoffs last year as well, one of the few who doesn’t take any criticism for that sweep, he was excellent all series.

Reactions: KingKhron and zar

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I hope the Oilers pay him that. He isn't worth it. His analytics over a three year period are not good. They were much better last year. His point total and analytics don't put him in the $9mm / season category, but I hope it does happen. I wouldn't pay him over $7mm. Let's not forget the 2020 season when Oiler fans were doing their usual........."run him out of town" special.
Yes his analytics were bad previously and had a big uptick recently. Unfortunately it's too early to tell if that's an outlier or the norm for him, but the contract is expiring and you don't have the opportunity to sit around waiting, it's time to shit or get off the pot. The reality is that timing issues are a big problem and there's nothing that anyone can do about it. I think if given the choice, everyone would be happy if their player was super average for a few years like Mackinnon and then only turns into superstar monster after signing his super average contract - this is not something anyone can control. We had to bridge Nurse because of Chiarelli, and it turns out he is entering his prime and had a monster season, which also coincides with the rest of the league paying more money to D.

Regarding the rest of your post - this is not how you build a team though. There seems to be an obvious disconnect between what fans expect and what they actually want. You stand firm on $7M and then he walks, and then the clowns on HF come in droves to tell us how much bigger of a joke our D becomes in his absence. Letting Nurse walk is a big domino toward pushing McDavid out the door, they are good friends and he's a very big contributor to this team.

How exactly do you propose Holland sits in a press conference and justifies letting his #1D walk when he's suppose to be making the team better in the middle of McDavid's supernova prime, while the Pacific division sucks complete ass? How do you propose he talks himself out of being fired when it comes out that in his opinion - "Nurse is a $7M D man and wouldn't take less than $9M so we parted ways, now I'm looking for his replacement", because he certainly would not be have an answer for how to replace the player.

$9M is an over payment, but this isn't NHL 21, you don't let your 1D walk because of a million bucks and keep your job. Regarding the rest of this thread, why do we keep seeing a strawman about whether he's a 1D on X number of other teams? Unless you have a viable replacement in house (which we don't), we are left with picking a 1D out of UFA - a deal I can only assume will be equally clowned by HF for being an overpayment. Where he plays on other teams has no bearing on whether we can replace the player if we follow the opinion of the HF braintrust and let him ride off into the sunset. Why don't you just overpay the devil you know and actually keep the team chemistry intact, rather than taking a flyer that some other comparable defender will be available next year AND that they will want to come here?

Too many NHL 21 GMs in here, looking at the cap like they're playing connect 4 where they pieces have no conscious will of their own.

I understand the Oilers need to keep Nurse or their D will be awful but if this deal is $9M or more this is for sure an overpayment. I just don’t see Nurse as a game changer and for sure racks lot’s of points just by playing with McDrai. $9M should be for players that can win games by themselves and that ain’t Nurse
No player wins games by themselves in the NHL, unless it's an extremely hot goalie, which funnily enough everyone considers $9M for a goalie to be outrageous, with the lone exception being Vas. Not a realistic stance.

How does one season at top pair level get you 9M? Especially considering the circumstances of the league this season. 9M would be absolutely awful.
The same way Seth Jones regressing still gets him 9.5M. Yes when you consider that the circumstances of the league are these new salaries for D, you can't cite the circumstances in the league and ignore this FA period where a bunch of D just got signed to $9M.

Reactions: bucks_oil and zar

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Nurse is not worth 9m but people are dismissing how good he actually is. Unfortunately Hamilton, Jones and Werenski contracts set the market, he’s not going to accept 8x8 anymore. All 8 years are also ufa years which should be a factor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad