Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
That's every freaking Canadian market with young players especially D. They take time to develop, there's nothing even that unusual about Nurse's development, age 25/26 is where many D start to spread their wings properly.
no doubt... honestly, I think he's a very nice player.. not sure he's 8 or 9m/yr player but...

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Flip that 6 upside down

It’s funny how Nurse was thought of as trash for years and one playoff series later he’s a 9 million dman. LOL. This is just people trolling the Oilers thinking they can’t afford him.

He’s not a 9 million dollar dman and he’s not trash. He’s a 7 million dollar dman that will need to take a haircut on the contract.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Nurse has never taken a game over like EK or Doughty can. He’s a 2A Dman compared to the elite D Men. On the Oilers he is the 1A so I suppose they’ll have to over pay him.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Is Holland the worst GM in the league? $3 mil 4 year contract for Ceci and now about to give Darnell Nurse $9 mil. Can these idiotic GM’s stop overpaying young defenseman before Fox starts demanding McDavid money?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nurse has never taken a game over like EK or Doughty can. He’s a 2A Dman compared to the elite D Men. On the Oilers he is the 1A so I suppose they’ll have to over pay him.
That's probably why EK and Doughty are making $11m. And when they were expected to take over games on a regular basis, their teams collapsed.

I'm not sure the point you were trying to make here. I don't think you'll see many fans arguing that this is a great cap number. Unfortunately NHL GMs are idiotic and continuously set themselves up to fail by consistently driving up market prices because of demand.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
up till last year, Oil fans were looking to dump him for whatever they could get. they hated him
*some* oilers fans wanted him traded for a fair return.

Oilers fans, just like every other fan base, do not have a hive mentality. They have different thoughts and opinions all over the spectrum.

I have no idea what your post is trying to prove.

Rubi

Photographer
Jan 9, 2009
I'm guessing $9.5M x 7
I doubt Nurse will accept less, nor should he. He'll get that as a UFA.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
I don't think this is ridiculous. He's probably worth 7.5-8 million given where the market is headed. I'd rather the number not be $9m, but it probably will be and it's better to overpay him a bit than lose him as a UFA. He seems to be tight with McDrai and is young enough he can probably maintain a high level of play over 8 years.

Of course, the accumulation of these minor overpays is going to eventually be a kick in the nuts but every GM seems to be in a race to hamstring themselves.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
*some* oilers fans wanted him traded for a fair return.

Oilers fans, just like every other fan base, do not have a hive mentality. They have different thoughts and opinions all over the spectrum.

I have no idea what your post is trying to prove.

not here to "prove" anything.. why so defensive?

like I said in my other post, I personally have liked Nurse but I was surprised to read their fan boards and see all the negativity by their fans about him

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
not here to "prove" anything.. why so defensive?

like I said in my other post, I personally have liked Nurse but I was surprised to read their fan boards and see all the negativity by their fans about him
Its HF. There is negative shit on every page about every player for the most part.

This place can really become a cesspool for the worst fans in every market a few times a year and people get super irrational.

Are you new?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Its HF. There is negative shit on every page about every player for the most part.

This place can really become a cesspool for the worst fans in every market a few times a year and people get super irrational.

Are you new?

been around for a bit.. never logged in to these things till covid kept us home more often and got stir crazy lol

again, I DO like Nurse. he's a good player, and what little I've gotten to watch him he's always looked good to me.
and hopefully EDM's move help them out this season. would be nice to see the big guns stick around in the playoffs longer.. a McDavid/McKinnon playoff series would be dynamite

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
"No.1 D" doesn't necessarily freaking mean "Must Be Norris Trophy Candidate", even though Nurse probably wasn't that far off from being an actual Norris candidate last year.

Otherwise there's like 6 or 7 no.1 D in the entire league total.
You don't need to be a top Norris candidate, but you should be a #1 on most teams in the league to be considered a true #1

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I won’t believe the numbers being mentioned until I hear a contract is signed.
Even then it might take awhile.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I understand the Oilers need to keep Nurse or their D will be awful but if this deal is $9M or more this is for sure an overpayment. I just don’t see Nurse as a game changer and for sure racks lot’s of points just by playing with McDrai. $9M should be for players that can win games by themselves and that ain’t Nurse

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Before the stupid contracts given out most Oil fans were ok with an 8x8 contract. The new contracts change things a bit.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He scored a lot of goals last year, not a surprise when you look at his shooting percentage.
2019/20 he shot 2.9%, the year before was 5.1%, his average for the last 5 years is 3.9%.
In 2020/21 he shot 10.4%.

Everything else looks about the same as it's been for several years except for a big boost in ice time. Can he play almost half the game over an 82 game schedule?

Nurse is a good dman but I don't think he's 9 million good.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
His reputation of being strong defensively is entirely built around the fact that he’s physical sometimes. He’s not strong defensively. Again, I forgive you because most Oilers fans have never watched a legit cornerstone D at this point.

Yes we have!

… on opposing teams. :naughty:

Not many Oiler fans claim Nurse to be some defensive wizard…. That’s BS… it’s just that he’s not nearly as bad as some make him out to be.

He’s average to above-average defensively. He is above average offensively (his numbers are strong with very little PP TOI). He is a very good skater. He has a good shot. He has above average physical presence.

What made him so much better last year is his faster decision making and picking better times to join the rush.

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
He scored a lot of goals last year, not a surprise when you look at his shooting percentage.
2019/20 he shot 2.9%, the year before was 5.1%, his average for the last 5 years is 3.9%.
In 2020/21 he shot 10.4%.

Everything else looks about the same as it's been for several years except for a big boost in ice time. Can he play almost half the game over an 82 game schedule?

Nurse is a good dman but I don't think he's 9 million good.

To be honest there are a few defenceman out there already that you can say the same thing about. Makar signed last week and he already looks underpaid.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Sounds like it's a done deal per TSN1260 in Edmonton. 8 x 9mil-ish Should have an announcement later today or tomorrow.
Lets be realistic here, there is no option but to sign or do we want to try and find his replacement? WE pay him for the next 5 years and if Mcdavid bolts Nurse will waive a NMC to get out of here if we want to move him at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad