Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A $9milx8yr contract is not good for the player, team, or league. The league should reject it.

It's a big overpay but in a league where Dougie Hamilton is getting 9m/yr long term, Nurse is certainly well within his rights to ask for that same contract. The Dman market is ridiculously inflated now so unless Nurse takes a hometown discount, he'll get what the market dictates which is in that Hamilton range.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It's a big overpay but in a league where Dougie Hamilton is getting 9m/yr long term, Nurse is certainly well within his rights to ask for that same contract. The Dman market is ridiculously inflated now so unless Nurse takes a hometown discount, he'll get what the market dictates which is in that Hamilton range.

I don't see Nurse as valuable or accomplished as Hamilton. He was this year, but you have to pay for the body of work and his late-bloomer status has to count for some sort of discount on Hamilton's contract. I see that as the high-bar limit rather than a true comparable. If I were Holland it might convince me to go from $7.75 to 8 or 8 to 8.5... but he's clearly not Hamilton in my eyes.

[PS... this will sound entirely contradictory... but I'm not sure I would trade Nurse for Hamilton either... I'm just saying its easier to justify getting paid for offense and Nurse's defensive play hasn't been consistent for long enough to to add big $$$ to his contract]

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't see Nurse as valuable or accomplished as Hamilton. He was this year, but you have to pay for the body of work and his late-bloomer status has to count for some sort of discount on Hamilton's contract. I see that as the high-bar limit rather than a true comparable. If I were Holland it might convince me to go from $7.75 to 8 or 8 to 8.5... but he's clearly not Hamilton in my eyes.

[PS... this will sound entirely contradictory... but I'm not sure I would trade Nurse for Hamilton either... I'm just saying its easier to justify getting paid for offense and Nurse's defensive play hasn't been consistent for long enough to to add big $$$ to his contract]

Nurse is younger so of course the body of work will be less accomplished but he was better than Hamilton this past year, played a much bigger role, and Hamilton was never more than a 21 minute Dman until these last two years playing alongside one of the elite defenders in the league so his contract is inflated as well.

Whether it's 8.5 or 9, Nurse is going to get paid big.
Personally, I think Nurse is worth 8x8 max because he just hasn't played at a top pairing level long enough and never in a "normal" season so these 8x9 numbers are a bit absurd but based on the market and the fact that he has all the leverage, he will likely get it if he wants to push for top dollar.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Stauffer said that the final number will start with a 9. That disappoints me as I was hoping for less but the market is the market

One thing to consider about Nurse is that he is one of the hardest off ice working players in the nhl. He is a complete gym rat who gets stronger and better every year. He is an absolute role model for our younger players in the same way that McKinnon is. I hate 8 year deals but would be ok with keeping him that long. An 8 year deal is much better than a 4 year deal as he would become a super fit 30 year old who would probably ask to be the highest paid dman in the league

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Being bounced out of the playoff this past year in 4 straight games and not qualifying the year before hardly is a "climb" to a contender status...

200.gif

When did I call them a contender?

Going from being one of the worst teams in the league to second in their divison is progress. The next step is to find success in the playoffs.

Keep spinning your wheels instead of owning up to your stupid "edmonton is sliding" spiel.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Market really got away from Edmonton this year with all the RFAs not doing bridge deals.

he’s not a $9mm a year player but he’s going to get what? $7.5mm AAV? More? Same thing with Toronto and Reilly. These guys are going to going to blow a hole thru the middle of their respective rosters.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Poor defensively but leeches from McDrai, I hope he takes them for 9+. He’s a fantastic #2/#3 guy

lol, if Nurse is "only a no.2/3" ain't f***ing no D in Canada even close to being a no.1. Don't make me laugh by saying OEL or Hughes are no.1 D.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
lol, if Nurse is "only a no.2/3" ain't f***ing no D in Canada even close to being a no.1. Don't make me laugh by saying OEL or Hughes are no.1 D.

Nurse is comparable to Chabot IMO, if I’m Nurse’s camp why would I take any less than Chabot lol

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You’re correct, neither OEL or Hughes are #1s. I don’t think any Canadian team has a defender that would be a #1 on more than 50% of the leagues teams

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You’re correct, neither OEL or Hughes are #1s. I don’t think any Canadian team has a defender that would be a #1 on more than 50% of the leagues teams

"No.1 D" doesn't necessarily freaking mean "Must Be Norris Trophy Candidate", even though Nurse probably wasn't that far off from being an actual Norris candidate last year.

Otherwise there's like 6 or 7 no.1 D in the entire league total.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
up till last year, Oil fans were looking to dump him for whatever they could get. they hated him

That's every freaking Canadian market with young players especially D. They take time to develop, there's nothing even that unusual about Nurse's development, age 25/26 is where many D start to spread their wings properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad