Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Interesting gamble for the Oilers if they don't sign him this off-season and see if he regresses.

More of a gamble for Nurse. If I'm his agent, and they're willing to do, even 8m+, sign now. He had a breakout season, norris caliber, but that could see saw quickly, with injuries and team success.
He took 5.6 when all the media/fans were predicting 6.5+, he mentioned the cap space in his interview following the extension. So I doubt he tries to max the bank with 9+, he's more hungry to win than bank a few extra million.
Prediction, 5 yrs 40M (8M AAV). Which would lock him up for 6 yrs including the last year on current contract, one year after McDavid is a UFA. I think McDavid is a big factor for him, so I doubt he signs 7/8 years, not knowing if Connor will walk when he's a UFA

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
He’s not even worth 8. He’s good offensively but abysmal defensively.
Do you even watch Nurse? Even before this year, his defense has always been good, he just had the occasional brain fart that would leave you wanting to tear your hair out. He eliminated the brain farts from his game this year, that was the major change. The defence and offence has always been there. He’s absolutely worth 8x8 but that ship has sailed.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
This is going to be one of the worst contracts in the league lol
It’ll be an ugly one if it’s over 8 but I would expect him to maintain a relatively high level of play due to his athleticism. Sure, injuries could change that but they could change any big contract into “one of the worst”.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
"This is going to be one of the worst contracts in the league lol"

1625212226711.jpg

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can't help but think everyone who is bashing Nurse (will be the worst contract in the league comes to mind) would be defending him with as much vigor if he played on THEIR team.
And all Oiler fans defending the contract would be laughing hysterically if another Canadian team signed him to that contract.

Reactions: Tkachuky

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
And all Oiler fans defending the contract would be laughing hysterically if another Canadian team signed him to that contract.
Actually no
Pretty much every hockey fan knows that the team has to be very aggressive on offense when Mcdavid or Drai are on the ice because the rest of team would give away goals when they weren’t on the ice (see any oiler post regarding the team).
Nurse is a very solid defenseman. 9 mil is a bit high but not as painful as watching Nurse walk in a year.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Actually no
Pretty much every hockey fan knows that the team has to be very aggressive on offense when Mcdavid or Drai are on the ice because the rest of team would give away goals when they weren’t on the ice (see any oiler post regarding the team).
Nurse is a very solid defenseman. 9 mil is a bit high but not as painful as watching Nurse walk in a year.
But at least in means that Reilly is gonna want a 9 mil contract so Toronto is hosed

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nurse is a fascinating player to look at.

I have a hard time evaluating him because he plays a tremendous amount with McDavid and Draisaitl. He plays 75% of his 5v5 minutes alongside McDrai. It seems like there’s more of a willingness to say that Barrie’s numbers are boosted by McDrai, than Nurse’s.

When he’s away from them his numbers plummet, which should be expected given the greatness of McDavid and Draisaitl and the weakness of the Oilers depth prior to this season.

Now, looking at his extension, maybe the Oilers say to themselves, ‘well, we’re going to use him in the exact same way, so it shouldn’t matter.’

You also get the added bonus of a minute-munching defenceman who can play with an edge. He has some shortcomings in terms of defensive awareness and driving offence by himself, but there are a lot of positives.

Personally I don’t think he’s worth $9M. Imo, his numbers should be more impressive playing 3/4 of the game with McDavid/Draisaitl if he’s a $9M caliber player.

This is the same thing I was thinking about with Landeskog’s extension in Colorado. All of his minutes are with MacKinnon and Rantanen and like Nurse he was coming off a career season. He’s obviously a good player, but how much is he worth? How much production could another relatively talented player put up in his place? Tough evaluations.

Regardless, Darnell is a good defenceman who should have an easier time with the improved Oilers depth moving forward. I don’t think letting him walk is an option. Maybe he proves he’s worth the contract. If the Oilers win the cup while he’s there, I’m sure he’ll be a big reason why.
It's hard to figure out what the effects of Mcdavid and Draisaitl are on Nurse. The obvious answer is that any D would be great next to them, and that his stats with and away from them are proof, but that is far from true.

We have seen many D and wingers fail with our two best players, and McDavid and Drai have even been slumping for periods where there are weak links. Hockey is a team sport where it is impossible to truly succeed as a passenger. Nurse benefits from McDavid and Draisaitl, but they benefit from Nurse a lot too. Also, our depth forwards were awful, so of course Nurse would struggle while playing with them. The best Dman in the world would too.

One way to analyze Nurse is to look at him play. One reason I'm okay with a high-ish deal for Nurse is that his raw tools are high end. His skating, physicality, puck retrieval, are top notch, and he's got great shooting and passing as well. I'm really not worried about Nurse on an expensive contract. Even if he is overpaid, he's still a great top pairing defenseman.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Nurse and his agent should be aiming for the moon on this next contract, he had a great season and should look to capitalise.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
This screams the "Montreal - PK Subban contract" all over again......

If you're making connections based on race, sure.
For one, it may be the same contract after we've seen the cap go up 14% already.
The numbers already favour Nurse as being a deal.
If PK maintained his play he'd be on a good deal still.
Nurse will likely maintain his play enough to justify the contract 8 years from now. Not to say he won't be overpaid in the end. We can't predict that, but I favour him looking like a 10 million defender next season.

Just watch that skating.

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018

No we wouldn’t. If a Defenseman had a Norris worthy season and asked for a payday it would make sense.

When Subban got his deal the only reason to make fun of the Habs was that they bridged him and it backfired. The same thing happened to Nurse.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
No we wouldn’t. If a Defenseman had a Norris worthy season and asked for a payday it would make sense.

When Subban got his deal the only reason to make fun of the Habs was that they bridged him and it backfired. The same thing happened to Nurse.
Nurse was not that good before last season that's why he was bridged.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Nurse was not that good before last season that's why he was bridged.

Could be... or it could be that the AAV would have been greater on an 8 year contract and the Oilers had zero cap room. People will believe whatever fits their agenda. I don't know which it was but neither does anyone else on this site.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I personally wouldn't be comfortable giving an extension that large to a player who gets caved in when he isnt the ice with McDavid

"The Oilers are a two man team... the rest of the aren't even better than 4th line players."... "Player X is not good without McDavid or Draisaitl on the ice!"

giphy.gif

"Caved in"... yeah whatever... I would love to see Hedman's stats playing with Ethan Bear and any of our bottom 6 forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad