Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I can't help but think everyone who is bashing Nurse (will be the worst contract in the league comes to mind) would be defending him with as much vigor if he played on THEIR team.
No surprises. This is a board that took years to figure out that Leon Draisaitl is actually decent at hockey and thinks a guy who led defensemen in scoring this season shouldn't be in the NHL. :dunce:

Last edited:

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
sooo.... then.... if you are following the thread, Nurse's Norris votes are influenced by his defensive play and it isn't all just about "racking up points with McDavid"?
The comment was directed at Barrie, not Nurse. I think Nurse is a good dman. Just not a $9mm dman.

Reactions: bucks_oil

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
sooo.... then.... if you are following the thread, Nurse's Norris votes are influenced by his defensive play and it isn't all just about "racking up points with McDavid"?

The two aren't mutually exclusive.......it can be a combination of both.

Are you implying that points don't make up a large portion of the Norris voting?

Nurse got votes because he got a lot of points and was pretty good defensively.

Barrie got no votes because all he did was rack up points on a PP feeding McDrai.

Voters have eyes.........

And, I'm not calling Barrie shit......he is what he is. Really good on the PP with McDrai. But he's not getting Norris votes.

Reactions: bucks_oil

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
He’s really good offensively, omg on the d side.

Gotta keep him around though is I guess you gotta overpay to do so. Idk what the d would look like without him and Klefbom
View attachment 459601

And this player was signed to 9.5M. Wonder what his 20-21 looks like, because this is 3 year so has some data in it where he wasn't as bad. QoC isn't as high either.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fa575e3f8-2a5a-4279-95bf-7e29ce70699a_1312x878.png

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
If you're making connections based on race, sure.
For one, it may be the same contract after we've seen the cap go up 14% already.
The numbers already favour Nurse as being a deal.
If PK maintained his play he'd be on a good deal still.
Nurse will likely maintain his play enough to justify the contract 8 years from now. Not to say he won't be overpaid in the end. We can't predict that, but I favour him looking like a 10 million defender next season.

Just watch that skating.

That, my friend, is a bold statement!!

You think he's going to be Hedman / Doughty good?

I don't think so........time will tell.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No we wouldn’t. If a Defenseman had a Norris worthy season and asked for a payday it would make sense.

When Subban got his deal the only reason to make fun of the Habs was that they bridged him and it backfired. The same thing happened to Nurse.
Your think Nurse had a Norris worthy season?
Not even close.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not even close.

He got Norris votes. So your comment about "not even close" is factually incorrect.

Regardless, do you guys really care that Nurse gets signed for $8.5 Million or $9 Million AAV? His contract isn't the one that has driven up all the rest.

Does it really matter to a Vancouver fan who the Oilers extend and for how much? Be honest now.. were ya kind of hoping Nurse would be available next year as a UFA?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He finished 7th in voting.
I’m aware of that. And Hoglander finished 8th in Calder voting.
A 7th place finish is not Norris worthy just like an 8th place finish is not Calder worthy. Subban actually won the Norris. The comparison is strange to say the least.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
No surprises. This is a board that took years to figure out that Leon Draisaitl is actually decent at hockey and thinks a guy who led defensemen in scoring this season shouldn't be in the NHL. :dunce:

The mains is the last place where you want to seak sound opinions. You could learn more about hockey evaluation at a cock fight in Mexico

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He was 7th in Norris trophy votes and was the best defenceman in the division. So yeah "not even close" doesn't really hope up.
And the comment I replied to claiming it was Norris worthy was idiotic.
A lot of good but not great D have a top 10 Norris finish on their resumes.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He finished 7th in voting.
Nurse was easily a top 3 Norris candidate. Don't let the voting Homer's fool you. Led all dmen in goals .. plus minus was through the roof and was a physical force. Adam Fox winning the Norris was about as dumb as it gets .

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
[QUOTE="McFlash97, post: 179773117, member: 292275"]Nurse was easily a top 3 Norris candidate. Don't let the voting Homer's fool you. Led all dmen in goals .. plus minus was through the roof and was a physical force. Adam Fox winning the Norris was about as dumb as it gets .[/QUOTE]
Lol. Alrighty then!

Reactions: bobbythebrain

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
You can always count on the three Edmonton amigos (StevenF1919, Three On Zero, EDMFlyersFan) to show up and make a stink in any major Oilers thread.

Must suck living in Edmonton and not being able to enjoy the one thing the city really has over other places (lol) (the best hockey player on the planet).

The other funny thing I always find is why the f*** would you choose Arizona, Vancouver, and Philly (lol) to cheer for. At least freaking cheer for Tampa or something. If I wasn't attached to the Oilers and was a "free agent" for teams to cheer for at least choose one that's won a Cup or won one in the post-disco era, why would you saddle yourself to ... that.
What does this have to do with my evaluation of the Darnell Nurse contract tho

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Nurse was easily a top 3 Norris candidate. Don't let the voting Homer's fool you. Led all dmen in goals .. plus minus was through the roof and was a physical force. Adam Fox winning the Norris was about as dumb as it gets .

Im an Oilers fan. I was saying it as a positive.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Nurse has the Oilers over a barrel, he should ask the max dollar and term. The market was set by Jones and Nurse should take advantage of it while he can.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not even close.

How did he not? He absolutely dominated even strength goals and production.

How is putting up this season not a Norris worthy conversation, I mean he did finish 7th in voting.

56 GP
16 Goals
20 Assists
+27

15 of those goals were even strength as well. Led all D men in that category. Tied for 2nd in even strength points. 4th in time on ice per game, 2nd even strength time on ice.

He’s a complete workhorse and has developed into a very good hockey player despite some refusing to acknowledge it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How did he not? He absolutely dominated even strength goals and production. Top +/-

How is putting up this season not a Norris worthy conversation, I mean he did finish 7th in voting.

56 GP
16 Goals
20 Assists
+27

15 of those goals were even strength as well. Led all D men in that category.
My last comment on this.
Seventh place is not Norris worthy. Just like 8th in the Calder is not Calder worthy for Hoglander. If you want to say Nurse is a top 10 Norris candidate then fine. I’ll wait to see how he does in a more balanced schedule. For me he’s top 20 in terms of defensemen. He’s good offensively, plays physical but not very good defensively. The Norris tends to be an offensive award. I think the majority of non Oiler posters would agree with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rabid Ranger

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
How did he not? He absolutely dominated even strength goals and production. Top +/-

56 GP
16 Goals
20 Assists
+27

15 of those goals were even strength as well. Led all D men in that category.
Jacob Chychrun:
56 GP
18 Goals
23 Assists
And significantly better than Nurse defensively. The fact that he only finished 9th in voting shows how much of a joke voting is. Hedman didn't deserve to sniff the top 3 either. Nurse played gravy minutes with the two best offensive players in the league. Put him with other linemates and he's a #3 dman at best but go ahead and give him big bucks. Guy has zero hockey IQ, once he's no longer a monster physically he's going to completely fall off.
E3c1Qd2WEAIK3dw
E3c3jeSXEAc75_M

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Jacob Chychrun:
56 GP
18 Goals
23 Assists
And significantly better than Nurse defensively. Nurse played gravy minutes with the two best offensive players in the league. Put him with other linemates and he's a #3 dman at best. Go ahead and give him big bucks though. Guy has zero hockey IQ, once he's no longer a monster physically he's going to completely fall off.
E3c1Qd2WEAIK3dw
E3c3jeSXEAc75_M

Chychrun is a good hockey player. Don’t need a chart to tell me that, I’ve seen the guy play enough.

He’s a talented hockey player. Hockey is a fluid, transition sport analytics are hard to capture D play in particular. Those charts have serious issues with them when not used in conjunction with the eye test or context.

Calling Nurse a #3 D man is laughable though. Name 96 better D men than him.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Chychrun is a good hockey player. Don’t need a chart to tell me that, I’ve seen the guy play enough.

He’s a talented hockey player. Hockey is a fluid, transition sport analytics are hard to capture D play in particular. Those charts have serious issues with them when not used in conjunction with the eye test or context.

Calling Nurse a #3 D man is laughable though. Name 96 better D men than him.
I don't disagree with you that Nurse had a great year last year. Game 4 against the Jets was probably the most impressive game by a defenseman in an Oilers uniform since Pronger was there. But his defensive game was average at best last year and so far that's really been the only season where he's been a true top pairing guy. Nurse is one of those players where I think the eye test overrates him. He's impressive as hell to watch out there due to his strength + speed but his decision making and positioning leave much to be desired. I think it's easy to get caught up in the flash in his game and ignore that he does a lot of other things fairly poorly. He probably also gets underrated a bit defensively by the charts as McDavid and Draisaitl are absolute tire fires in their own end.

Anyways, he's been in the league for six seasons now and over that period he's been much closer to a second pairing guy than a first. He's also extremely reliant on his physical traits and if he gets injured or starts to break down his hockey IQ isn't going to help him much. He's not the guy I'd hand out a monster contract to, especially since the cap is going to remain pretty flat for the foreseeable future. If he had another two seasons playing like he did last year I could see an argument to be made that given the current market this rumoured deal would be fair or not awful, but just two seasons ago the prevailing consensus was that he was a decent #2 guy, and not someone you want as your top dman. Just my opinion anyways, and obviously I'm a bit biased.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Jacob Chychrun:
56 GP
18 Goals
23 Assists
And significantly better than Nurse defensively. The fact that he only finished 9th in voting shows how much of a joke voting is. Hedman didn't deserve to sniff the top 3 either. Nurse played gravy minutes with the two best offensive players in the league. Put him with other linemates and he's a #3 dman at best but go ahead and give him big bucks. Guy has zero hockey IQ, once he's no longer a monster physically he's going to completely fall off.
E3c1Qd2WEAIK3dw
E3c3jeSXEAc75_M

Blanket statements galore !

Nurse number 3 ?
Zero IQ ?

Needed a laugh this morning !

Ementy

May 11, 2010
My last comment on this.
Seventh place is not Norris worthy. Just like 8th in the Calder is not Calder worthy for Hoglander. If you want to say Nurse is a top 10 Norris candidate then fine. I’ll wait to see how he does in a more balanced schedule. For me he’s top 20 in terms of defensemen. He’s good offensively, plays physical but not very good defensively. The Norris tends to be an offensive award. I think the majority of non Oiler posters would agree with that.
There is literally nothing other than some bias stats that say he plays bad defensively, he's a beast on the puck, and a actual physical force you have NO clue what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad