Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Love Nurse, but he is not a 9+ mil player. His fair avlue is probably closer to 6.5 or 7 mil

Hell, Id take Bear in his last 20 games of this season over Nurse. Nurse is a great D, but many flaws and doesnt have the all around game that a 9+ mil D has. Hopefully his game continues to devleop and round out. His develop trajectory has been insane over the past 3 years, so who knows

Nah, he's certainly worth more than 7m. He's more like an $7.5m-8m guy but if he keeps up this level of play next season and beyond, he'll be worth $9m in this inflated Dman market.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Nurse is very good. $9.25m is insane however.

If other teams have a D man that is a UFA in 12 months (Leafs I'm looking at you), there may never been a better time to get max value from them in a trade.

Reactions: Morrison

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Nah, he's certainly worth more than 7m. He's more like an $7.5m-8m guy but if he keeps up this level of play next season and beyond, he'll be worth $9m in this inflated Dman market.
Delusional.jpg

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Does Holland not see what happened to the Leafs when they tied up a shitton of their cap into a couple of players?

Nurse is good, but not so good as to make this justifiable. This contract is literally almost two Pelechs.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Love Nurse, but he is not a 9+ mil player. His fair avlue is probably closer to 6.5 or 7 mil

Hell, Id take Bear in his last 20 games of this season over Nurse. Nurse is a great D, but many flaws and doesnt have the all around game that a 9+ mil D has. Hopefully his game continues to devleop and round out. His develop trajectory has been insane over the past 3 years, so who knows
This is an awful take

Nurse was 7th in Norris voting, an 8 year deal was always going to start with at least an 8.X
9.25 is about a million too much, but I’d rather have Nurse than Jones tbh

Saying you’d take Bear over Nurse is insanity

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Does Holland not see what happened to the Leafs when they tied up a shitton of their cap into a couple of players?

Nurse is good, but not this good.

The Leafs problem isn't their depth. It's that Matthews and Marner didn't show up in the first round, particularily games 5/6/7. Their depth players actually did a good job and were pivotal in them being up 3-1 in the series.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Bond

May 10, 2012
Will be interesting too see which contract ends up aging the worst out of Hamilton, Werenski, Nurse, and Jones. I still think Jones.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Bear was pretty bad this year and the worst player for us in the playoffs by far. That’s a terrible take, absolutely terrible take.

You can dislike the $9m contract but Nurse is a vastly superior player compared to Bear.

Reactions: Geardedandbearded

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Really looking like the Jones deal is going to be the new Marner deal everyone bitches about raising the bar.

Nurse is good, and had a phenomenal season. I hope he lives up to the deal.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I like Nurse, and he deserves to get paid. But 9.25 is f***ing madness.

I get that he should be paid and deserves to. I’m a huge Nurse fan and have always backed him knowing he’d develop into a top end D man which he’s become.

He’s an excellent hockey player, but yeah 9.25 is crazy high. I’d be perfectly fine with 8 x 8. Talk about making the most of a bridge deal, we should have extended him long term when we had the chance.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So what’s the rationale for Nurse getting this kind of coin in the Oilers room? Pay him like he’s Cale Makar and you’ll get Cale Makar value? Not understanding the thought process when guys like Pietrangelo, Jones and Hamilton have all signed for significantly less recently.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This is an awful take

Nurse was 7th in Norris voting, an 8 year deal was always going to start with at least an 8.X
9.25 is about a million too much, but I’d rather have Nurse than Jones tbh

Saying you’d take Bear over Nurse is insanity

Just my personal take. I like Nurse, hes a top pairing D most nights. But we can't act like hes not a super hot/cold player with big defensive issues. Bear was much more consistent and better defensively. He is also a top notch puck moving D from out of his own end. If hockey gave away 3rd assists, hed be up near the top. Nurse has great point totals and great offensively, but point totals got a nice boost due to playing with 97

upload_2021-8-6_11-22-53.png

upload_2021-8-6_11-23-30.png

Reactions: EON

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just my personal take. I like Nurse, hes a top pairing D most nights. But we can't act like hes not a super hot/cold player with big defensive issues. Bear was much more consistent and better defensively. He is also a top notch puck moving D from out of his own end. If hockey gave away 3rd assists, hed be up near the top. Nurse has great point totals and great offensively, but point totals got a nice boost due to playing with 97

View attachment 459705

View attachment 459706

Posting this chart without context is everything wrong with analytics.

If you watched both players all season and came away thinking Bear was a better player then I question your ability to judge players with the eye test.

Reactions: CanuckCity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad