Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
There is literally nothing other than some bias stats that say he plays bad defensively, he's a beast on the puck, and a actual physical force you have NO clue what you're talking about.
He frequently makes bad pinches, gets caught out of position, and loses his man. Just because he's big and strong doesn't mean he's good defensively.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He frequently makes bad pinches, gets caught out of position, and loses his man. Just because he's big and strong doesn't mean he's good defensively.

It's clear you haven't watched him this season. He has always had all the tools but finally put it all together and making smarter decisions on the ice.

Reactions: Pointteen

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
That, my friend, is a bold statement!!

You think he's going to be Hedman / Doughty good?

I don't think so........time will tell.

Definitely not next year. But in a couple? For a few? Yeah maybe.
I generally think elite defencemen are underpaid. I think Hedman and Doughty are better defenders than a lot of elite forwards and D should be paid more.

But alas I don't run teams.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It's clear you haven't watched him this season. He has always had all the tools but finally put it all together and making smarter decisions on the ice.
TBH,

I kind of want to see the "Nurse is still a shitty bone-headed defenseman" narrative play out.

Yeah… because Nurse’s skating is anything like Subban’s 55 movements to move 4ft. Not sure where you see the comparison outside of contract number and skin colour. They’re completely different defenceman, smfh.

In fairness to his point. MANY of the top defensemen from that era are signed to crippling contracts, and they simply did not age well. Subban included:

Karlsson, Vlasic, Doughty, OEL were all considered elite #1 DMen when they signed.

Not many of those Dmen have contracts that have aged well.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Yeah… because Nurse’s skating is anything like Subban’s 55 movements to move 4ft. Not sure where you see the comparison outside of contract number and skin colour. They’re completely different defenceman, smfh.
It’s because both GM’s played hard ball on an extension after ELC’s expired, both GM’s gave bridge deals and now have to buck up because both players broke out during said bridge deals!

Reactions: HugginThePost

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Well, I can see the fans are already making a case for Holland signing another brutal contract.
Irony is that fans were saying it would have been brutal to extend nurse long term at that $5.5-$6 million he was asking for before signing the bridge deal now he’s gonna cost them an extra $3-$4 million a year unless he takes a discount

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He was better defensively this year but still not great. He's cashing in on one good year in the North Division. This contract will be a pretty significant overpay imo but I don't see that the Oilers have much choice as they need to try to make some noise during McDrai's prime years. Nurse has Holland over a barrel here and his agent is just doing his job.
Compared to the other contracts handed out I think he's worth about $7.5 million now and obviously a lot less in the last three years of the contract.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Definitely not next year. But in a couple? For a few? Yeah maybe.
I generally think elite defencemen are underpaid. I think Hedman and Doughty are better defenders than a lot of elite forwards and D should be paid more.

But alas I don't run teams.

Yes, I agree. Flash gets you paid in this league.

I think you guys are going to really miss Larsson this year.

Pelech at $5.75 is a steal.....but, POINTS!!!!

Reactions: Pointteen

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I get it, I really do. The market was set by Jones/Werenski signings. That said, I can imagine the reactions from Oilers fans if you'd told them Nurse would be getting this contract 12 months ago.

Reactions: Morrison

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well he's definitely going to look like a star compared to the rest of the D.

Can he play 45 minutes a night? Stay tuned. He’s already played over 15 of 20 minutes in one of the playoff OTs this year. He might need to routinely play 30+ a night.

He’s got Holland over the barrel, he’s a top 20 D man in this league who can play all situations. I can’t blame him and his agent for going for a big payday. He’s gotten better every single year and they didn’t bite long term earlier. His best hockey is still ahead of him, but yeah 9.25 is a lot. I was hoping for somewhere around 8 x 8.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

That didn't happen nearly as much this past season. He was a lot more in control than he was in the past. Whether or not it's a one off or the beginning of a massive step in progression remains to be seen.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Love Nurse, but he is not a 9+ mil player. His fair avlue is probably closer to 6.5 or 7 mil

Hell, Id take Bear in his last 20 games of this season over Nurse. Nurse is a great D, but many flaws and doesnt have the all around game that a 9+ mil D has. Hopefully his game continues to devleop and round out. His develop trajectory has been insane over the past 3 years, so who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad