LW Cogliano - Colorado < Retired
C Carter - Pittsburgh < Retired
LW Parise - Colorado < Retired
C Malone - Edmonton < Retired
RW Dube - Calgary < HC Investigation < Signed with Dinamo Minsk KHL
C M. McLeod - New Jersey < HC Investigation

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
With so many good/decent players still available I wonder whether Shit-For-Brains Buttcrack Bettman should have awarded an Expansion team to Quebec city rather than seeing players rot on the vine

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I could see Yamamoto getting signed, I think he's still capable and probably the best option to bet on here outside of possibly Kylington.

Could also see Gagner, Hoffman, Sprong and Nylander being signed. Someone will almost definitely sign Nylander. The other guys have the potential to be signed at league min by a team that wants them to insulate the youth like San Jose. Could see Utah taking on Sprong or Gagner as well, since their center depth is awful and seems like they're moving on from Hayton finally.

Feel like Cousins and Kubalik will get signed too. They're both at least decent and Kubalik is still quite good defensively and only 28.

Feb 5, 2016
Not sure that we actually plan to bring anyone else in, but I wouldn’t mind the Flyers taking a chance on Kubalik having a bounce-back season.
Dominik Kubalik is not a Torts type of player as Kubalik was atrocious in his own zone last season even after being sheltered with offensive zone starts.

Kubalik was also dealing with some sort of hip injury back in January that didn’t require surgery to my knowledge, so that’s a red flag as the Flyers have dealt with enough injuries throughout the last few seasons.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Man if I was Kylington JP Barry wouldn't be my agent anymore. What a terrible misread of the marketplace. It's entirely possible Calgary won't take him back at this point.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
With so many good/decent players still available I wonder whether Shit-For-Brains Buttcrack Bettman should have awarded an Expansion team to Quebec city rather than seeing players rot on the vine

Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite. Looks like an absolutely dire list. Lots of “names” that are pretty much totally washed, prospects who were high picks and people recognize who aren’t legit NHLers and a few 4th line types who can score in bunches and do nothing else.

Slim pickings.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
RW Dube - Calgary < HC Investigation < Signed with Dinamo Minsk KHL

Unbelievable, he'll fit in well in that place

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What was he looking for? He looked like a solid player at one point recently
He was solid in 21-22. He emerged as a top 4 defenseman. He played 30ish games last season and skipped the whole 22-23 season. He was apparently looking for a long term deal at a higher than 2.5M cap hit. He's likely to get a close to league min contract after rejecting a short term offer for more than triple that from the Flames who he publicly said he wanted to show loyalty to for their handling of his situation. Kind of comes off as a bit disingenuous at this point. It would appear NHL GMs see some pretty big red flags here.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I really can't believe Lankinen is still unsigned.

Not sure that we actually plan to bring anyone else in, but I wouldn’t mind the Flyers taking a chance on Kubalik having a bounce-back season.
The Flyers are probably the last team that should be adding a skilled but flawed winger. Their wings are already full.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
He was solid in 21-22. He emerged as a top 4 defenseman. He played 30ish games last season and skipped the whole 22-23 season. He was apparently looking for a long term deal at a higher than 2.5M cap hit. He's likely to get a close to league min contract after rejecting a short term offer for more than triple that from the Flames who he publicly said he wanted to show loyalty to for their handling of his situation. Kind of comes off as a bit disingenuous at this point. It would appear NHL GMs see some pretty big red flags here.
Damn. Was wondering how nobody was linked to him, but that explains it pretty well.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
NHL one way contracts:
  • Matt Martin
  • Kailer Yamamoto
  • Alexander Barabanov
  • Max Pacioretty
  • Oliver Kylington
  • Tyson Barrie
  • James van Riemsdyk
  • Tanner Pearson
  • Ryan Suter
  • Samuel Blais
  • Tyler Johnson
  • Nick Cousins
  • Justin Schultz
  • Daniel Sprong
  • Mark Giordano
  • Dominik Kubalik
  • Victor Mete

Last edited:

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers are probably the last team that should be adding a skilled but flawed winger. Their wings are already full.

Right wing certainly is, but left wing, we're kind of dealing with square pegs and round holes. At RW, we have Konecny, Michkov, Tippett, and Foerster, which is ludicrous depth; at LW, we have Farabee, Brink on his off side if he makes the team, Hathaway, and Cates, with Couturier, Frost, Poehling, and Laughton down the middle. I would absolutely be willing to work Kubalik in there over Hathaway or Cates, or even shift Cates to center and sit Laughton from time to time. (Or, better yet, trade Laughton, move Cates to center full time, drop Hathaway to the 4th line, and slot Kubalik in on the third line.)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite. Looks like an absolutely dire list. Lots of “names” that are pretty much totally washed, prospects who were high picks and people recognize who aren’t legit NHLers and a few 4th line types who can score in bunches and do nothing else.

Slim pickings.
What a REAL expansion team should look like. Fans of rhe Panthers, Bolts, Sens, Sharks, Ducks, Preds, Wild, Thrashers/Jets, Jackets know what I'm talking about. There's plenty of talent for 2 more expansion teams, but the NHL wants to giftwrap new expansion franchises instant contenders.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Matt Martin and Clutterbuck are wild cards right now - I suspect NYI probably aren't sure what to do with them.

It would be great to sign them for a year at less than the threshold that can be buried in the AHL. but if NYI do that with the purpose of maintaining maximum flexibility it could easily backfire if one is picked off of waivers. Both have settled families on LI, and I doubt either would want to go elsewhere.

I really don't know what's going to happen, but if I had to guess NYI try to sign Clutter with the idea he'll be the 12/13th forward all year (i.e. on the roster while healthy), but not sign Martin. I hope that NYI are able to find someone else to help out the PK. But really the only way that happens is if they manage to move JGP. NYI would have been a much better team if it weren't for the putrid PK last season, and a lot of that had to do with the fact that Clutterbuck and JGP fell off a cliff in that department. Clutter at even strength, otoh, was just fine.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
after his season last year he shouldnt get more than a pto with a team that has good center depth to make his life and ability to produce points easier

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
about half of those players can help a team, assuming that they are reasonable in their asking price.

Every time I see Scandella play i think that his faults are being exaggerated, and his positives taken for granted, but didn't watch him last year. If he was RH, i think he'd be playing, for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad