Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
He has his best season in a shortened year playing only against the other Canadian teams.

This deal bought off UFA seasons, but this seems like above market value. The Oilers must have been really worried he would just decide to leave after next season.

This deal looks bad now and will look even worse next off season.

Reactions: Morrison

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Nurse is a good defensemen but is he really a great defensemen? Sure 7+ million i would understand, maybe even up to 8 because he will be UFA when this contract expires, but 9+ million for Nurse? Thats very expensive imo.
He can score which is valuable and rare for a defensemen but 9 million is a lot...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
What’s a fair price for Nurse? In my mind he’s a 6M-ish player.

He's not a 6 million player. He's been a top pairing D for some time and just had a Norris worthy season playing extremely tough minutes on Edmonton. He didn't even get pp time and still managed to put up a 50 point pace.

On an 8 year deal I think a Chabot-esque deal would be fair, around 8 million. 9.25 is pretty high, but he's worth wayyy more than 6 million.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Posting this chart without context is everything wrong with analytics.

If you watched both players all season and came away thinking Bear was a better player then I question your ability to judge players with the eye test.
I personally love confident takes that are just horribly wrong.

Reactions: snipes

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nope, and my answer will always be nope.

Based on? He played 25+ minutes last season with minimal PP time, was one of the top even strength scorers in the league and was a +27. That alone is worth easily over 8m if Hamilton and Jones are getting 9m+.
Of course he's relatively unproven in the #1 role so he'll have to do it again and again to be worth the 9m+. He's been getting better every year so I don't see why it won't continue.

FTR, I'm not arguing that 9.25m isn't an overpay currently. He's certainly worth 8m though, you'd have to have a bias against the player to think otherwise.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The crazy thing is I don’t really think Holland overpaid here, he just had no options/leverage. And this is coming from someone who is no Holland fan by any means.
Nurse had the Oilers bent over the barrel, and frankly given his attributes and recent season- he definitely would have been able to get this contract in free agency.

Obviously no discount for the Oilers though.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The north division wasn't great. Giving guys contracts like is rumored coming off career years playing the same 6 or so teams a bunch is gonna bite ppl in the ass. 9 million for nurse? Yeah Edmonton will never win just like Toronto. 4 guys if you throw in Hyman takes up almost half the cap. The leafs approach is odd.

Reactions: Morrison

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
An argument against bridge deals if I've ever seen one.
Well it goes both ways! Chiarelli made the right gamble when he gave Drai the monster extension even though at that time his best year was 29 goals 77 pts but had he bridged Drai can you imagine what he’s making now? I’m guessing Chia saved Oilers at least $2.5 million minimum. Point being bridge deals are gambles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad