Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think this is being overstated. They had points together on something like 6 goals this season.

So was it 6 goals in those 143 minutes, which was, unless I’m missing something, his most common linemate combination?

Edit: looks like @McDNicks17 did the work for me on the mains thread

By the way, McLeod put up 11 of his points in 10 games on Draisaitl's wing. He had 23 points in the other 95 games the Oilers played last year aka a 19 point pace.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Looks NHL ready.

This is 2 years ago as well.

I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling he's going to make the team out of camp and get a shot on a 3rd line scoring line with some vets. Maybe its the comments from Seravelli that "some people think he's as good as McLeod already". That opinion clearly comes from someone working in hockey and I wouldn't be surprised if its from Edmonton's front office or scouts.

Sounds like he would have likely made Buffalo's team last year if not for his injury in the rookie camp, and then he had a good showing in his AHL conditioning stint and obviously his 2+ppg season in the WHL speaks for itself.

He skated with Nuge when he was younger and said he looked up to him a lot. As much as I like Nuge on the wing I think you could shift him to 3C and run him with Savoie and another vet like Kane (if healthy) and give them the easy matchups and zone starts and let the Janitor Rico Brown line take all the hard defensive matchups.

This Oilers team is going to be a match ups nightmare for opposing teams. Three scoring lines and an excellent shutdown line that is probably going to still chip in 3rd line level offence.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is 2 years ago as well.

I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling he's going to make the team out of camp and get a shot on a 3rd line scoring line with some vets. Maybe its the comments from Seravelli that "some people think he's as good as McLeod already". That opinion clearly comes from someone working in hockey and I wouldn't be surprised if its from Edmonton's front office or scouts.

Sounds like he would have likely made Buffalo's team last year if not for his injury in the rookie camp, and then he had a good showing in his AHL conditioning stint and obviously his 2+ppg season in the WHL speaks for itself.

He skated with Nuge when he was younger and said he looked up to him a lot. As much as I like Nuge on the wing I think you could shift him to 3C and run him with Savoie and another vet like Kane (if healthy) and give them the easy matchups and zone starts and let the Janitor Rico Brown line take all the hard defensive matchups.

This Oilers team is going to be a match ups nightmare for opposing teams. Three scoring lines and an excellent shutdown line that is probably going to still chip in 3rd line level offence.
He looks thick for a "small" player. Doesn't avoid contact though, so I would he bulks up even more. But he does look ready. Everything he does has a snap and strength to it at an NHL level. His passing especially, which can look Crosby like with its snappiness and accuracy.

Sounds like he was close in Buffalo. If he makes the line up I wouldn't be opposed to it. He's a smart player with great skating and skill. He could be a difference maker for us. I think some time in the AHL just to be sure would be wise too. If he goes PPG again, then bring him up, 10 games might be enough to know. Also as a black ace it would be fine too, but I'm more inclined to give him time to gel with the lineup all year.

Damn he was a Nuge fan? What a trade. Pretty much a lock to be a life long Oiler then. Now we just have to make sure he develops.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He looks thick for a "small" player. Doesn't avoid contact though, so I would he bulks up even more. But he does look ready. Everything he does has a snap and strength to it at an NHL level. His passing especially, which can look Crosby like with its snappiness and accuracy.

Sounds like he was close in Buffalo. If he makes the line up I wouldn't be opposed to it. He's a smart player with great skating and skill. He could be a difference maker for us. I think some time in the AHL just to be sure would be wise too. If he goes PPG again, then bring him up, 10 games might be enough to know. Also as a black ace it would be fine too, but I'm more inclined to give him time to gel with the lineup all year.

Damn he was a Nuge fan? What a trade. Pretty much a lock to be a life long Oiler then. Now we just have to make sure he develops.
Yeah I'm pretty sure both he and his brother are build pretty solid for their height. I haven't watched him recently, but I know he used to finish his checks and play with some grit in his game. He's definitely not soft and not afraid to go into traffic. I really don't think Brayden Point or Viktor Arvidsson are bad comparisons for him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
1720272141541.gif

Gonna need someone to photoshop Jeff Jackson face on this as our new “VKM strut” with all these wins

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
1. What a steal of a trade! A+ Mcleod is awful. Can't stand his garbage IQ.
2. I'm not a fan of Savoie. I don't think he will ever be a solid top 6 player. Hoping he proves me wrong, but he lacks IQ also. His positive trait his is straight line speed.

It's definitely nice to get a highly rated prospect. Potential trade chip, potential top 6 replacement one day. Nice to get younger.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Savoie-Drai-Arvidsson
Holloway-RNH-Kane
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

Jackson wanted 4 scoring lines after all
I kinda doubt Savoie makes the team? I have no idea tho.

Definitely can't lock him in.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Savoie matches up well with the retool/reconstruct the team will likely have to go through in two seasons if they want to stay as a main contender for the full length of(let's hope it gets sorted) McDrai's next contracts.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
1. What a steal of a trade! A+ Mcleod is awful. Can't stand his garbage IQ.
2. I'm not a fan of Savoie. I don't think he will ever be a solid top 6 player. Hoping he proves me wrong, but he lacks IQ also. His positive trait his is straight line speed.

It's definitely nice to get a highly rated prospect. Potential trade chip, potential top 6 replacement one day. Nice to get younger.

I kinda doubt Savoie makes the team? I have no idea tho.

Definitely can't lock him in.
Interesting. When did you pick that up?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Thinking about it more, I could see Hamblin taking Ryan’s spot anyhow. I think a lot of people were sleeping on him, he was a solid bottom 6 player last season and I think Knob will give him a fair shot
Only knock on Hamblin is his poor offensive output. There is though demands on a NHLer. No matter ehre you play, you have to produce points every five game-ish. Doesnt matter if you are a great defensive player- produce or you will be out if the league.

I wish oilers had a really strong defensive 3rd line. If Janmark plays 3rd line, I dont like Brown being the second winger.
LEt holloway or Lavoie be the 2nd winger on that line.

And ai dont think JJ is done.
An under 1 million 4C signing could come up.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Last year, we dumped Kostin and Yamamoto for cap space and we all poo-poohed a "price you have to pay" situation

Here, we dump McLeod for cap space and got a treading-water-at-worst 9th overall pick.

Really wish we'd Jackson'd earlier.
McLeod is under contract. Kostin was threatening KHL if he didn't get his money and Yammo was Yammo. Not much value.

I thought McLeod was great in what he was. A rover who could disrupts plays defensively and kill penalties. We will miss his speed. I like the return though. He could be the RW we've been looking for for years.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Hopefully Savoie can become that secondary offense that makes the Oilers terrifying to play against.

I'm not sure trying to rush this kid is a good idea but having dueling power plays on the same team is starting to pick up some traction in my head.

We have the veterans to protect and fast track Savoie. He forces a pass Perry yells at him.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Only knock on Hamblin is his poor offensive output. There is though demands on a NHLer. No matter ehre you play, you have to produce points every five game-ish. Doesnt matter if you are a great defensive player- produce or you will be out if the league.

I wish oilers had a really strong defensive 3rd line. If Janmark plays 3rd line, I dont like Brown being the second winger.
LEt holloway or Lavoie be the 2nd winger on that line.

And ai dont think JJ is done.
An under 1 million 4C signing could come up.

I agree it’s nice to get some offense out of your 4C but my primary concern is that the 4C doesn’t bleed goals against and preferably has a bit of grit to their game. Hamblin seems pretty defensively responsible and while a bit on a the smaller side doesn’t seem to get pushed around too much.

I think at this stage in both their careers he is a better option than Ryan. Pederson may also be an option, or perhaps Philp but I think he will need to see game time in the AHL before getting a call up since he was off for a year. I would prefer they sign a more established one but I’m okay with them having an internal candidate win it from this group

Reactions: Bobieque

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I agree it’s nice to get some offense out of your 4C but my primary concern is that the 4C doesn’t bleed goals against and preferably has a bit of grit to their game. Hamblin seems pretty defensively responsible and while a bit on a the smaller side doesn’t seem to get pushed around too much.

I think at this stage in both their careers he is a better option than Ryan. Pederson may also be an option, or perhaps Philp but I think he will need to see game time in the AHL before getting a call up since he was off for a year. I would prefer they sign a more established one but I’m okay with them having an internal candidate win it from this group
Why not Savoie? Surround him with Perry and Ryan. The player will get loads of experience and helpful hints from players who have seen it all. Savoie is a 887k cap hit not likely reaching his bonuses with limited ice time.

Start Lavoie as the 13th forward so we don't lose him to waivers. Lavoie can draw into the rotation to give the older guys a rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad