Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] McLeod + Tullio for Matt Savoie

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It’s Hall-Larsson.

Larsson and McLeod are good players but you don’t trade Hall or Savoie for them.

Yup, how often do teams that trade the higher talented player win the trade? Not very often…at all. Sabres are trying to fast track to the playoffs by trading the much higher talent player for a guy that is an average bottom 6 player with plenty of warts, and I liked McLeod

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Henrique made Mcleod expendable and it made sense to move him.

But I think that 2nd-3rd pick evaluation for McLeod is underselling McLeod. Like just imagine if Henrique had chose to sign in WPG. Would you take a 2nd for our 2M 3C at that point and open up a huge hole?

In a vacuum. But the Hall-Larsson trade did make sense, we were under pressure to show we could win in this market with Drai and McD extensions looming. We tried winning with Hall and couldn't. We figured out that we needed an upgraded defence to make the playoffs. We went and did that. Go the extensions done. Got good hockey out of Larsson for year and IF he would have extended, we would have won that trade in a landslide.

In that sense, even though Buffalo is losing this trade on value, they are doing what they need to do under the pressure situation they are in.
It’s still poor value.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes in a vacuum. Considering Hall's 1OA status. But high pedigree RDs aren't easy to find either. And our team still needed that RD.
Both trades are examples of desperate GMing. If you aren’t desperate you find different assets to trade for those players because you can afford to wait.

Reactions: TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Both trades are examples of desperate GMing. If you aren’t desperate you find different assets to trade for those players because you can afford to wait.
Sure, I agree with that. Sometimes teams just get desperate and need to win now, we've been there.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yes in a vacuum. Considering Hall's 1OA status. But high pedigree RDs aren't easy to find either. And our team still needed that RD.

I think of it this way.

Do you think that if Adams went and asked every single team for the best package for Matt Savoie, McLeod and Tullio would be the best offer they get? I understand player need factors in, but not for value. Value for value they lost this trade. Just like the Oilers did with Hall, even though Larsson was a (mostly) good player for them that addressed a position of need

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It doesn't even address their biggest need: goalscoring

Bottom line this is just a bad trade for Buffalo. I don't see how this helps them win.
I don't know what their team needs. Thought it was a Vet RD last time I checked. But most teams could use a defensively responsible 3C and they didn't have that. Nor goal scoring. Nor probably defence. That whole team is just a mess lol.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think of it this way.

Do you think that if Adams went and asked every single team for the best package for Matt Savoie, McLeod and Tullio would be the best offer they get? I understand player need factors in, but not for value. Value for value they lost this trade. Just like the Oilers did with Hall, even though Larsson was a (mostly) good player for them that addressed a position of need
I agree with you. Value for value at the time, was a loss for us. And a loss today for Buffalo.

I'm not sure.... If they asked around, the competence or incompetence of GMs in this league one way or the other wouldn't surprise me. I'd imagine they could have got a similar pedigree prospect back though if they shopped around as an offer. But a 2M young 3C in Mcleod seems to be what they wanted.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I agree with you. Value for value at the time, was a loss for us. And a loss today for Buffalo.

I'm not sure.... If they asked around, the competence or incompetence of GMs in this league one way or the other wouldn't surprise me. I'd imagine they could have got a similar pedigree prospect back though if they shopped around as an offer. But a 2M young 3C in Mcleod seems to be what they wanted.

Honestly...I think they could have gotten back a better NHL player than McLeod, not just a prospect comparable to Savoie. Not to take anything away from him, but McLeod was a cap dump for the Oilers. That Adams sat on the offer for a week is pretty telling. Yes, he wanted McLeod, but he also really didn't want to part with Matt Savoie for him.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly...I think they could have gotten back a better NHL player than McLeod, not just a prospect comparable to Savoie. Not to take anything away from him, but McLeod was a cap dump for the Oilers. That Adams sat on the offer for a week is pretty telling. Yes, he wanted McLeod, but he also really didn't want to part with Matt Savoie for him.
Adams got tunnel vision. Seen it happen with Chia. Get so fixated on a need that you overpay massively for it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd call him a cap casualty, more than a cap dump. 2M is fair for what Mcleod brings. If we didn't sign Henrique we'd have been fine with that in our line up.

Maybe they could have gotten a better player... but player/contract/cap hit combo that Mcleod represents I'm not so sure. Id like to see some comps on that front. I guess Henrique traded for a 1st last TDL is one, but that's only 1 year and a rental, with likely no chance a player like that resigns in Buffalo. Mcleod as an RFA is hard to compare to that.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I'd call him a cap casualty, more than a cap dump. 2M is fair for what Mcleod brings. If we didn't sign Henrique we'd have been fine with that in our line up.

Maybe they could have gotten a better player... but player/contract/cap hit combo that Mcleod represents I'm not so sure. Id like to see some comps on that front. I guess Henrique traded for a 1st last TDL is one, but that's only 1 year and a rental, with likely no chance a player like that resigns in Buffalo. Mcleod as an RFA is hard to compare to that.

I mean, is it though? The whole 3C thing is being a bit overstated by some. Is he a 3C? Maybe, if a team doesn't have a real one like Henrique. I seem to recall the vast majority of his 30 points being stapled to Drai's wing, which is fine, but he wasn't able to keep it up and stay in that position. On a lot of teams he's just as easily a 4th liner.

McLeod's cap hit is not exactly a steal, IMO. On paper, it might seem to be as a 30 point player, but the 30 points is a bit of a mirage as I said above. Does he put up 30 points with average bottom 6 wingers? I don't think so. I think his 4 goals in 24 games in the playoffs is closer to the player you're getting. Fast, good on the PK but not great defensively, perimeter player softer than Charmin and not much of a playmaker. There's a chance he finally starts going to the dirty areas after a wakeup call post-trade, but for every Cogliano there are 10 players that never change their game.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean, is it though? The whole 3C thing is being a bit overstated by some. Is he a 3C? Maybe, if a team doesn't have a real one like Henrique. I seem to recall the vast majority of his 30 points being stapled to Drai's wing, which is fine, but he wasn't able to keep it up and stay in that position. On a lot of teams he's just as easily a 4th liner.

McLeod's cap hit is not exactly a steal, IMO. On paper, it might seem to be as a 30 point player, but the 30 points is a bit of a mirage as I said above. Does he put up 30 points with average bottom 6 wingers? I don't think so. I think his 4 goals in 24 games in the playoffs is closer to the player you're getting. Fast, good on the PK but not great defensively, perimeter player softer than Charmin and not much of a playmaker. There's a chance he finally starts going to the dirty areas after a wakeup call post-trade, but for every Cogliano there are 10 players that never change their game.
Considering he wins his possession share as a 3C I would say he's doing the job. And 0.4 PPG 2 years ago, and 0.37 PPG this year, but yes he needed Drai's help to up those numbers this year. 2 years ago that production was fine for his role. This year he had a long cold stretch and couldn't get going. Maybe that is the player he is though, and if that's the case then we fleeced the f*** out of Buffalo. I just think there's more offence there. I guess we shall see, if he can do 0.4PPG from the 3rd line with his defensive responsibility then he is that. If he's the 3C that can't produce unless helped by by Top 6ers than he's not.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It’s Hall-Larsson.

Larsson and McLeod are good players but you don’t trade Hall or Savoie for them.
This is a terrible comparison.
Savoie is not Taylor Hall. Both Larsson and Hall were top notch NHL players.

Savoie is nothing but potential at this point in time and as an Oilers fan we know all to well about prioritizing potential....or at least we should.
We just have to go to pre 2015 to revist how that works.

I hope that Savoie blows the doors off next season but lets not carry on as if he projects like Taylor Hall.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He was that for most of his time for us. Even last years playoffs he did his job. This years playoffs we needed him to take a step, and he didn't.
Well no the entire time he’s been with us we have needed an upgrade at 3C. Ya he needed to take a step up… to a 3C and he didn’t. Our 3rd line was terrible.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well no the entire time he’s been with us we have needed an upgrade at 3C. Ya he needed to take a step up… to a 3C and he didn’t. Our 3rd line was terrible.
He was fine 2 years ago. 23 pts in 57 games. You've been around the our trade threads for the last 2 years, how much did we seriously talk about moving Mcleod? For the most part it was accepted that at 2M for what he brought and what we'd hope he'd bring, he was fine in that role. And we looked towards other areas of need like RD.

This year after a cold streak year and lack of physicality which became an issue in the playoffs, the trade talks have ramped up though understandably.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Considering he wins his possession share as a 3C I would say he's doing the job. And 0.4 PPG 2 years ago, and 0.37 PPG this year, but yes he needed Drai's help to up those numbers this year. 2 years ago that production was fine for his role. This year he had a long cold stretch and couldn't get going. Maybe that is the player he is though, and if that's the case then we fleeced the f*** out of Buffalo. I just think there's more offence there. I guess we shall see, if he can do 0.4PPG from the 3rd line with his defensive responsibility then he is that. If he's the 3C that can't produce unless helped by by Top 6ers than he's not.

According to MoneyPuck, in 143 minutes in the regular season, he centred a line with Foegele and Leon as wingers, and had a xGF% of 53%. I guess it's okay?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Jeff Jackson with more incredible work. Building some sustainable young quality pedigree prospect talent with O'Reilly and now Savoie. All the while reducing cap space to get close to cap compliance.

Savoie goes directly to Bakersfield to refine his elite offensive skill against men, get stronger and continue to build up a complete game. There is some risk here if the injuries continue with a small body player. But obviously a fantastic deal.

Though I've been indifferent about McLeod, I actually thought he might reset well on this super deep Oil team as a utility player who could lockdown 4C and shift to bottom six wing when this team needed speed and maybe a different look. A step back on a stacked team to continue to grow his game learning behind some great veteran pros and young enough to sustain this team's window. But this is about winning now and adding a blue chip prospect to a really flaccid system.

Won't hammer Buffalo too much. They have too many similar smaller prospects and need to jolt their NHL roster to push for playoffs. McLeod will anchor a very fast bottom six delivering solid defensive play, face-offs and PK. His cap hit (which I thought should have been $1.5 - $1.75 million) fits better with the Sabres along with his softer, perimeter tendencies.

Oil win the deal but both teams recalibrate around very different phases of their organization and needs to move them forward in the immediate and mid/long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad